Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5334
johnmc04 2875
paul12 2810
Willy 2574
Keep It Fun 2404
Topic Options
#101593 - 07/10/16 12:02 PM Building out of the Back through Possession
Kai Werring Offline
stranger

Here is my first post on this website! It's in regards to a video I made about Building out of the Back with confidence and structure.

Please take a peek and subscribe / like on youtube if you enjoyed it. Also, feel free to leave a comment or criticism as you see fit. Appreciate it!
Power in Possession

#101626 - 07/16/16 05:15 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: Kai Werring]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
For me, the biggest hurdle for young players is FEAR -
FEAR of making a mistake and getting yelled at by teammates, the coach, Parents etc.

Remove the fear from wanting the ball, using the ball, and supporting the ball and you will have players who want to try things, take risks, learn and develop

The video is really a very nice uncluttered presentation of how you see the development of this area of play.

Not a criticism, but every now and again challenge the players to come up with THEIR own ideas to solve the problem - they may well be unworkable but you get as a by-product, players who feel they have personal input into the coaching which means they will more likely to adopt the ideas than if they are just told what to do.

Dont underestimate the power of uncluttered minds.

#101647 - 07/20/16 12:59 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: coachkev]
Kai Werring Offline
stranger

Well yes of course. Most of these drills would begin U11. I tend to utilize other possession based drills for players to hurdle 'fear and the unknown.' These are positional based.

This video is meant to assist in guiding them, so when you get to the game they understand what you want to see. Players at the U-11 age need structure so it's not just a kick around.

They will interact with plenty of unknown scenarios in practice and games.... the 12 drills in the video are only meant to give them discipline and a understanding of positional sense.

Use a drill or two a practice in that order... and of course tie in other games where other technical attributes and scenarios can be accomplished.

Thanks for the response - and best of luck.

#101655 - 07/21/16 05:49 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: Kai Werring]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This 'thinking' is known as SpineWork.
Creating a small series of drills that create a 'spine' of reference that bridges the distance of where they currently are and where they need to be at.

Do you have a program to 'Test' the effectiveness of each group of 'drills'?

What criteria do you use to test in matches?

All coaching is the 'script' of what you want to see happening at 'Showtime'

#101696 - 07/31/16 04:09 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: Kai Werring]
socrnewbie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: on the edge
There are college basketball coaches that will play 8v5 to get ready for an opponent with an up tempo style of play.

I took this approach for practice and playing out of the back. We took our goalie, 4 defenders and 1 CM against the other 11 with the 11 putting full pressure on the defense to score. If the defense made more than 5 passes prior to clearing and re-setting the game, then the offense had to do push-ups, burpee's, sprints, etc. It made for some very spirited games and very confident players during 'Showtime'.

#101707 - 08/02/16 04:15 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: socrnewbie]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: socrnewbie
There are college basketball coaches that will play 8v5 to get ready for an opponent with an up tempo style of play.

I took this approach for practice and playing out of the back. We took our goalie, 4 defenders and 1 CM against the other 11 with the 11 putting full pressure on the defense to score. If the defense made more than 5 passes prior to clearing and re-setting the game, then the offense had to do push-ups, burpee's, sprints, etc. It made for some very spirited games and very confident players during 'Showtime'.

From this I can see you are ready for the process which I refer to as the 3C's CONCEPT.
For any coaching session to be effective, I use the 3C's template:-
CHALLENGE
COMPETITION
CONSISTENCY
So, for all activities (Drills/Functions/Phase Of Play's/Small Sided Games) I will provide the 'Challenge' i.e. "The challenge is to score a goal within 'X' seconds after gaining possession".
Then I will introduce Competition (1v1,2v2, Team v Team etc.)
Then I will look for the best offering of what I am looking for and then challenge all to copy it time and time again.

I guarantee that if you have the 3C's in your practice you WILL see improvement not only in their technical and tactical development, but also in the shared enthusiasm from the players as they WILL respond to the healthy competition you provide.

Drills are fine for specific focused technical improvement but they can get boring for players.

#101898 - 09/07/16 01:34 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: coachkev]
Kai Werring Offline
stranger

Drills are fine for specific focused technical improvement but they can get boring for players.

[/quote]

I disagree. You can still put restrictions / goals / time restraints on any of my drills. The good part about them is they are positionally sound. So not just 'healthy competition', but competition exactly where you will be in the game as well.

#101943 - 09/09/16 06:17 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: Kai Werring]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Kai, what I am eluding to is that cones never figure in a match. Repetition without challenges can actually create the wrong development.

Restrictions are chains for players. By all means challenge them to complete X amoutn or who can do X the fastest, but the match is not repetitive monotonous steady flux of play.
It is a dynamic ever changing series of SIMILAR situations but never EXACTLY identical so its more about using drills to RECOGNISE a situation and then practising the solutions to the problems found.

The CHALLENGE gives FOCUS;
FOCUS gives DIRECTION;
DIRECTION gives IMPETUS

Yet it all depends on the correct decision making at the right moment.

I judge a good drill on whether it can be replicated EXACTLY when ALL the cones (apart from perimeter match cones) are removed.

#101963 - 09/12/16 01:10 PM Re: Building out of the Back through Possession [Re: Kai Werring]
Kai Werring Offline
stranger

Agreed. Which is why you take away the cones and see if the drill can come to fruition in real game dimensions.

Should translate the same day & then to the game.

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura