Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5333
johnmc04 2875
paul12 2810
Willy 2568
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101745 - 08/15/16 04:22 AM new coach.....lots of questions
0rion Offline
stranger

Although I have a ton of questions I'll just do a couple at a time after a short intro.
I'm coaching my daughters U13 team this year basically because no one else would. Yay me!!! My daughter is 10 and loves the sport. She's played since she was 4 and plays spring, fall, and indoor winter rec leagues every year. She's pretty decent and plays with her head by thinking ahead of other players. She's not fast but she's super aggressive.....I mean really really aggressive. She plays legal but she plays hard and leans towards bumping people over finesse.
So I get a mass text with all the parents from her team last week that we have no coach. Season starts in 2 weeks. I waited a couple days to reply because surely others know far more than I do about the game. No replies so I volunteered to do it.
Question 1: Where can I print a diagram showing positions? Watching her previous teams it's apparent that the kids don't know where they're supposed to be. I know the positions but want to print handouts for the kids to have so when I say left midfield they know where I'm talking about.
Question 2: I've spent the last few days reading on formations. No idea what would work best for me. We haven't even practiced yet so I have no idea what type of players I have but watching her teams over the years tells me I'll have maybe 3 players that can actually play. I see a lot of people liking the 3-3-1 but was reading tonight about 2-1-2-2 being better for lower level players. How much thought should I put into what formation to run?
My plan right now is to spend the lions share of practices working on corner kicks and throw ins and setting up shots on goal. I figure quite a bit of time will be spent on holding positions and not bunching up because I see that every year with these kids. There will be some fundamentals in practice but with only 6 practices before our first game I want them to have a good idea of what to do in game time situations.
Any tips or help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited for the challenge and look forward to spending more time with my daughter playing the sport she loves so much. I may not be the most knowledgeable coach out there but I can learn and will do what I can to help these kids win.

#101747 - 08/15/16 11:53 AM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
tblack Offline

Here's my two cents and I'm not an expert by any means. Just do a Google search for the diagram. I've never coached 8v8, but I think having three levels (backs, mids, forwards) is simpler to understand than four. Whether that's a 3-3-1 or 3-2-2, I don't think that's critical. Usually for U13 teams, you've moved on to more tactics and less skills to some degree. However for a rec team, I'd suggest doing just the opposite. I'd spend more time on skills (dribbling, passing, shielding, etc.) all under pressure. The chances that anyone scores off a corner/free kick is slim, so personally I think there is more benefit to working on skills that all players will use during the game than set plays that will be 50/50 most times.

Sounds like this is a team where most of the girls are playing for fun, so that needs to be the focus. Make the drills into mini-games that everyone is participating. Minimize the standing in lines. Keep them moving. Have fun yourself. Bravo for stepping up.

#101748 - 08/15/16 12:38 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

thanks for the reply and advice....found the diagrams. My thinking on corner kicks was to get them at least to have shots on goal from corners. I know last spring we had a ton of corners and very few would ever end up as a shot on goal. That was my thinking as far as why I wanted to spend a lot of time on those. Not necessarily a direct shot from a corner kick but at least winning possession and getting a shot from that. Throw ins are kind of in that same category. It's something you see a lot of during games so I wanted to try and make those a focus so we didn't lose possession and maybe get more shots on goal.
This is all new and I'm sure things will change as I learn from my mistakes...just looking for some starting points.

I know drills are important and teach basic ball handling skills so there will be time spent on those. My plan is to divide the team and field in half. Half the field will be for drills and the other half for game situation practices. I'll rotate them throughout the practice so everyone gets to do everything and being in smaller groups will help manage them and make practices move faster.

Not sure I'm even cut out for coaching but didn't seem like there were many other options this time around. My daughter would've been heart broken if something happened and she couldn't play this fall.

2 years ago...she's #8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZROm-Lysv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0HEdPBgk2Q

#101749 - 08/15/16 09:13 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

first practice this afternoon. Went ok. I learned some things already. I need to slow my roll and go a little slower on things. Felt like I was cramming them too much. There is a sense of urgency on my part because we only get 5 more practices before our first game. I'll get it and the kids got some work done today. Next practice is Wed. weather permitting and I'm really hoping we don't have to call any off for weather. Rain I can handle....thunderstorms not so much and we've been in that pattern lately.

Substitutions....no idea how to go about doing those where we keep a competitive edge. Should I sub frequently to keep fresh legs on the field or should I sub less frequent to keep better players in position longer?

Also....how do I coach positions in such a limited time when kids will be rotating through them? It doesn't feel like I have enough time to show each kid every positions responsibilities so what do I do there?

#101750 - 08/16/16 10:44 AM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
Tom Mura Offline

enthusiast

Loc: Overland Park
Orion,

I've covered many of the topics you're asking about on our weekly podcast at coachingsoccerweekly.com. I think you'll find a lot of information that you'll find useful.

#101754 - 08/17/16 10:08 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

Thanks Tom....not really a podcast person but I did find some of your stuff on youtube that I've watched and have used a few things from that already.
Had our 2nd practice today. Starting to get the hang of it a little bit I think. Set them in positions and had a scrimmage just to get an idea of how they're going to do in a game. Walked through the field pointing out things to them as we went. Have quite a few areas to work on but overall I think we'll be ready for our first game in 2 weeks. We don't have the time to go over each single thing over and over to make it automatic but we will at least touch on the roughest areas several times. I was kind of surprised really how well they stayed in position and how well the defensive players were doing. I want to win but will be happy to just field a competitive team.

#101778 - 08/22/16 09:26 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

Few more practices in the books. There's a ton of fluctuation in how these kids play. Some days I leave practice thinking we got in some good work and some days it was like I dropped a ball in a flock of chickens. Just running everywhere with no purpose. I'm hoping when the games start next week the first group shows up.

I pretty well have my "A" roster figured out. I need to figure out how to mix them with the B's and how often to sub. I'm thinking of giving myself the best chance to score early and hopefully get a lead then move my most physical ball control people to defense and stopper to try and hold the lead.

#101809 - 08/27/16 01:35 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Orion,
The single biggest lesson you will need to learn is that Kids are the EXPERTS at Games where we once were, we have grown up and think as adults.

Think of practice where 3 C's are your goal:
CHALLENGE = Kids love challenges and NOT rules & conditions
COMPETITION = "Who Can do This the best?" / 1v1 / team v team
CONSISTENCY = Always remind players of THEIR standards

Simple Specific and brief dialogue and watch THEM show you what they can do!
i.e.
Hide what you want by giving them a focus which WILL need what you are REALLY after.
Naive coaches that want to see faster play and players not getting caught in possession...
No "one touch passing or two touch passing", instead "You have the challenge to complete three one touch passes before any goal counts".

In this way, the players focus on trying to complete the 3 one touch passes but even if they complete two one touch passes and then take an extra touch then they STILL continue but know they still face the challenge of completing the passes.
They dont stand around sticking their backsides out trying to shield the ball from opponents, they just carry on like they would in a game.

And the bonus is that the team speed of play WILL increase and very rarely will they get caught in possession so everyone wins!

#101831 - 08/30/16 09:49 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

Thanks for the advice. Had our first game. Lost 6-2. That may seem bad on first look but it wasn't as bad as you might think. We played one of the league presidents 2 teams which, as you might expect, have a bunch of good players.
I had a plan going in to save my best goalie for later in the game and that proved to be a mistake. We gave up 5 goals in the first half. The silver lining is we outscored them 2-1 in the second half.
Kids started out pretty rough in general but settled in for the 2nd half. We certainly have things to work on next practice but there's also some positives to take from the game and I want to make sure I point those out.
We stayed onside while catching them offside a few times with our D pushed up. We played very physical but had no roughing penalties. We only had 1 penalty the whole game....a holding penalty.
We really have to work on getting our offense up field together for more shots on goal. That was a real problem. Our mids were getting stuck in the middle of the field and couldn't keep up with the fwd when he would drive to the goal resulting in him having no one to pass the ball. I tried moving him around in the midfield but pretty much the same result. He would be up field taking on their D by himself. He had 7 shots on goal and scored both of our goals. I had one other player with a legit shot on goal that made it to the goalie. We have to fix that. I'm not sure whether to try and fix it by slowing him down and passing the ball around earlier or what. He's just much faster than anyone else we have on the team.
I also have to work on doing subs. It was very overwhelming and several times during the game I had no idea who was where or when they were sub'd in. I'll be purchasing a dry erase board for the next game and see if I can't keep track of that better. I had a sub plan going in but very quickly learned that it wasn't going to work.

Edited by 0rion (08/30/16 09:53 PM)

#101832 - 08/31/16 08:31 AM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
tblack Offline

I'm with you on the subs. I have to make a spreadsheet that tells me where everyone is playing and when they sub in. Then I have the alarm on my watch set to go off 1 min before they sub in (so I can get them ready) and then when they are supposed to go in. Sounds complicated but it isn't bad and it works for me. Otherwise I'd probably leave my starters in the whole half and forget to sub. Keep it up. The best thing you have going is enthusiasm and the kids will feed off that. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura