Who's Online
1 registered (brazilfan), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Topic Options
#2383 - 11/07/02 02:08 PM Boys Indoor 7v7 Formation
MARKD Offline

Loc: Maryland
I am coaching a relatively new team that is considered a B team. What is the best formation to try starting out with? We used a 4-3-3 outdoors fairly successfully if that makes any difference in leaning one way or another. I am considering a simple 3-3 formation as we have had problems in the past keeping in positions and maintaining shape.

The team is not advanced enough at this point to be making overlapping runs,switches, etc..

Also, I am looking for good books for indoor soccer tactics if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks

#2384 - 11/08/02 02:57 AM Re: Boys Indoor 7v7 Formation
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Mark
This is EXACTLY the ideal post that I feel this forum was created for.

Within ALL the previous posts, I'm convinced that you will find your answers. So, as well as waiting for the 'expert' answers :-& from the rest of us.

Firstly though, if you are asking for specific answers then the more information you can give , the better able we are to 'target' our responses to your specific inquires.( I.E you havent told us the age group of the team...I gather it may well be a fairly young team).

I've always gone with the idea that you put your BEST 7 players in the formation of GK followed by 2 good centre backs, 2 good middle players directly in front of the 2 good centre backs, and 2 fast forwards directly in front of the 2 middle players. This hould create the 'spine' formation and the other players in the formation assist these 7. ( there are lots of previous posts on this subject..happy hunting mark).

Keeping positions and maintaining shape are challenges to be solved in training first. Again there are very good posts on these topics to be found within the pages of this forum site.

Indoor soccer is a different kind of game to outdoor. For one, the climate is not an inhibiting factor, and the playing surface must be taken into consideration in your practice drills etc.

Have you tried Football de Salao ( the brasilian form of indoor soccer??). This is a GREAT game for teaching ALL the intricate dribbling and one touch skills so sorely lacking in a majority of younger players today. Remember there are NO bad pupils only Bad teachers.

Good luck MarkD with your 'discoveries'

#2385 - 11/08/02 06:21 AM Re: Boys Indoor 7v7 Formation
MARKD Offline

Loc: Maryland
CoachKevin

Thanks for the reply. My team is a boys U11 team. I have gone back over the past one year topics and didn't find what I was looking for relative to 7v7. My initial thoughts were a 3-3 formation.

I just discovered this website and it is great.

#2386 - 11/08/02 01:00 PM Re: Boys Indoor 7v7 Formation
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
MarkD
Have you tried the 2-1-2-1 system?, where you can still have the 3 in defence and three in attack, but now you can have players in relatively good support angles to the player with the ball AND be in a position to get back should possession be lost.

U/11 players should be able to control, pass and move in a constant flow of movement of both ball AND players.

In training have the pitch separated into 6 equal 'grids' with one player in each grid. Now there is a game of 'move to the open grid' where the player with the ball after passing MUST move to the grid where he passes to. If he reaches it BEFORE the recieving player has played to another grid then he 'loses' a life. Each player starts with 10 lives and the game finishes when there is only one player with a point.

This can be progressed to a full game of 7v7 where the passer can go into the grid he passes to, to make a 2v1 situation but ONLY if the receiver is successful in controlling the ball.

As far as the topics are concerned, try to delve into some post replys as there is a wealth of knowledge from answers.

#2387 - 11/09/02 05:14 AM Re: Boys Indoor 7v7 Formation
diezel Offline

Loc: england
Hi

I coach an under 10s team and i have found the best formation is 2-3-1,,,if you have a good centre foward it works really well,,i tell my 3 midfield players they must defend in numbers and attack in numbers,one of my defenders goes foward for corners and free kicks and i try to get the 2 defenders to take as many of our throw ins as possible.

I have also found that by having 3 midfield players they learn about attacking and defending,,the improvement in the last year is unbelievable,,,

hope this helps,,by the way iam a new coach and this forum is really good for advice.

#2388 - 11/12/02 02:26 PM Re: Boys Indoor 7v7 Formation
Bob Christensen Offline

Loc: America's Outback - ND, USA
If your field is wide and short, go with the 3-3. If it is long and narrow, as ours is, I prefer the 2-2-2, like so:

~~~~f
~~~f
w~~~~~w
~~~~b
~~~b
~~~K

In practice, the rear forward and the front back (how’s that for a couple oxymorons) typically play midfielder roles between the wings, depending on if we are attacking or not. Plus, it typically frees up the front back from being marked and therefore he can make late runs into the attacking half and create some dangerous situations.

The key is for the forwards and mids to never be “stacked”, but rather always support at angles. Likewise they should never get square from each other, with the possible exception of when the opponent dribbles to very near the end line.

The wings mark up any wide threats on defense, and can drop back (at least one) very deep. When this happens, one of the forwards should go wide to maintain width, and allow a quick, up-the-line pass to begin a quick counter attack.

Comments?

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura