Who's Online
1 registered (Rictavious), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 152 of 298 < 1 2 ... 150 151 152 153 154 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#61237 - 10/27/09 01:07 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: hitman]
tjj Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: hitman
Andy, I know you will disagree, so don't even respond to this, I just felt like ranting.

Good luck with that, Hitman. AB likes to get the last word in, like my ex-wife. I'm sure there's an appropriate Rodney Dangerfield joke out there somewhere but I can't think of one now.

I enjoyed your "ranting". Stop by and rant anytime.

#61238 - 10/27/09 01:07 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
hitman Offline

I am a supporter of Manchester United,due to the fact that my kid was a fan of Cristiano Ronaldo. This was back in 2003-04, whenever he came to the club. Back then he could master the ball, but had no sense of team play. I found him very frustrating. It was only when he learned to control his skill and work within the framework of the team that he became the player he is today. I think all players should be able to control the ball, but I don't think all players will become great finishers. I believe that the pass moves the ball quicker than the dribble, and if I coached my players would use their skill to set up the pass similar to a fast break in basketball. If I wanted Pistol Pete Maravich, I would watch the And 1 mix tape tour.

#61239 - 10/27/09 01:09 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Sure I did. Check page 73. Or maybe it was 74.

But Andy, I did want to comment on your choice of words. Develop the "best" passers? I just think that's way too competitive and results oriented. We should be developing each player to his or her maximum potential, and not worrying ourselves about how that compares to other players.

I used to think like that, too. Always worrying about whether my players were the best passers, best dribblers; whether my coaching philosophy was the best. I admit it [cue the emotional music], I harmed kids that way, always making them feel like they were being judged and compared.

I since have learned how not to be abusive; how not to let those kinds of statistics guide my coaching decisions. If I can reform myself, you can too!

#61240 - 10/27/09 01:10 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: 8DAYSAWEEK]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

8DAYSAWEEK

On Legends teams we ask the kids to do a move then pass the ball. This occurs until we know they can do the move whenever they want under game pressure. We want them to learn to perform a skill of individual dribbling brilliance and then the "team" play. By using this approach the kids learn to dribble deceptively (the individual play) and pass (the team play). I believe that's called "balance in coaching".

When we know they can do the moves we allow them to make their own choice whether or not to do a move or pass first.

This occurs shortly before their 95th birthday! wink

smile Andy

#61241 - 10/27/09 01:10 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: hitman]
hitman Offline

You can develop and play to win, they are not exclusive. That is the coach speak I referenced.

#61248 - 10/27/09 01:42 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: hitman]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
When it's time for development, practice, friendly games, etc., then by all means, move players, dribble out of the back, ignore the other team's kick and run tactics, work on individual skills, and play the game the way you want to.

When everyone else is trying to win for whatever their reason, the tournament or league trophy, team rankings, recognition, then you should too. Take what the players have learned to that point, and come up with a game plan that gives them a chance to win.

To put it in baseball terms, a pitcher won't be working to develop a new pitch during the World Series.

A prime example: the upcoming opponent has a dominant player that needs to be neutralized to keep them from having an adverse effect on the result. In a developmental match, you play your preferred defense. In a match you want to win, you may have to man mark that player to minimize their touches.

If the game plan works well, or fails miserably, and the score gets out of hand, then revert to development.

Now as to the point of my previous post, the premise of this entire thread is invalid.

#61249 - 10/27/09 01:54 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: hitman]
aclifton Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Kansas City
Hitman,

They are exclusive, somewhat... smile

If a player is best at marking, destroying and then playing a long ball down the channel and the coach demands that he/she learns to "play" the ball out of the back you're not playing to win. Instead you are developing a skill set they have yet to master.

Bear with me here... (I'm going to use video to demonstrate my point)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bIt2KKvAHE&feature=related

This video is the first stage of the curriculum. This player is almost exclusively asked to dribble. You won't have a team full of players able to create off the dribble without making them go through this portion of the curriculum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnO-u6B10nQ&feature=channel

This is a team full of players who can perform individual skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7SFnExvClI

This video is the same team. They are beginning to enter the passing portion of the curriculum.

This video is an example of a team that first ONLY dribbled, so they could later do the special stuff with the ball AND pass. Is there another team with this type of volume of individual skill AND able to pass?

Don't get me wrong, there are teams that win more often, but I don't think that those players are better for it.

Paul, I know you say teach dribbling. But it isn't the same, not even close. My guess is that your kids can't do the same with the ball (individually) that the kids in the video can.

smile Andrew

Edited by aclifton (10/27/09 02:02 PM)

#61250 - 10/27/09 01:59 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: aclifton]
hitman Offline

More coach speak.

#61251 - 10/27/09 02:03 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
freekick Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: freekick
Andy - In all seriousness, I fail to see what is new/unique about these characteristics. You didn't answer what makes these cutting edge? Please share.

Originally Posted By: AndyBarney
You didn't address that either??

So Andy ... You didn't address what makes personal characteristics "cutting edge" either??

You see, I feel a little differently than the rest. I have been around the Legends long enough to understand the philosophy and accept it as an excellent method. What I don't accept is your position that it is the ONLY METHOD FOR EVERYONE - rec to pro.

Why the BS (like "cutting edge personal characteristics") in your lengthy defense/promotion of your system? If the AB Way is truly the Holy Grail (sorry, another King Arthur reference), you shouldn't need to pile it with BS.

Again, what makes personal characteristics "cutting edge"?

#61255 - 10/27/09 02:36 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: aclifton]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
"Paul, I know you say teach dribbling. But it isn't the same, not even close. My guess is that your kids can't do the same with the ball (individually) that the kids in the video can."

How do you know it isn't even close? The answer is you don't. But coming across like a legends koolaide drinker, I'm sure you assume my kids aren't as skilled dribbling a ball as yours.

I have no idea if they are or not, and I can't open the videos at work. But I got news for you, Andrew. There's some pretty good ball handlers outside of legends. Sure, the moves they know aren't taught to them as "the legends moves," e.g., they call a Cruyff turn a Cruyff turn, and keep anyone else's name out of it.

Page 152 of 298 < 1 2 ... 150 151 152 153 154 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura