Who's Online
1 registered (KSDad), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5073
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2446
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46920 - 10/30/08 07:17 AM Indoor U10 7v7 Team
Sandifur Offline
stranger

Loc: Taylor, MI USA
I've just been giving an indoor U10 7v7 team. Last minute. Our first practice is today and our first game is Saturday. I've never met these kids in my life. There are 12 boys.

So quickly tonight, I have to setup some drills to identify who plays where and who starts. I'll watch them play and ask them what positions they have played before.

What formation should I start out with? I don't even know this team. I thought about using a 3-2-1. Seems pretty balanced with a good defense.

Any suggestions?

#46924 - 10/30/08 08:34 AM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: Sandifur]
CoachFrank Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Chicago
Coach-

I wouldn't set a system yet until I see the boys practice and sort it out from there.

At practice, I'd suggest 1v1's, 2v1's, 3v2's with transition to see who can go to goal, who can defend and who can get up and down. You may end up having a good handful of boys who want to score, or a handful of defendsive minded players. (for indoor, offense is good! )

Scheme-wise, I've used 2-3-1 if I have a game breaker up top that can break defenses down. Have also used 1-2-1-2 and 2-1-2-1 giving me four lines vs the opponents 3 lines, which helped getting past each layer up and down the field.

Let us know what you see and ended up with at practice. Hope you end up with some burners!

#46926 - 10/30/08 08:50 AM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: CoachFrank]
Sandifur Offline
stranger

So it all depends on what type of players I have? Then build the formation based on what I got? That makes sense. If I really don't have a good striker then no sense on creating a formation with a striker. Or a sweeper for that matter.

#46929 - 10/30/08 10:35 AM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: Sandifur]
WillieB Offline
veteran

Pick any two players at random, tell them to pick two teams and to play 6v6 - no goalies, see where they all slot in.

You'll also find out who they think the best players are as they will be the first few picked.

Not perfect but a starting point.

#46932 - 10/30/08 11:16 AM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: WillieB]
Sandifur Offline
stranger

I hope one of these kids have played goalie. If I don't have an experienced goalie, what do you recommend to find one? Just ask who wants to play? I only have an hour to do all this. They have limited time on the indoor field tonight.

#46935 - 10/30/08 12:43 PM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: Sandifur]
AlexUtiug Offline
enthusiast

Have them play ultimate frisbee with a soccer ball: you'll immediately see potential goalies. And they will automatically fall into their natural positions without worrying about ball control with their feet. Just modify the rules to allow one bounce off the ground if they fail to catch the ball on the first try (no more than one): two or more bounces - in a row or with a catch in between - that's a turn-over. One player is not allowed to keep the ball longer than 3 seconds.

#46948 - 10/30/08 07:29 PM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: AlexUtiug]
AlexUtiug Offline
enthusiast

Formations do depend on the skills and personalities of the players you have, especially with U10 and younger. I had a good 50/50 spring with a 2-1-2 (we play 6v6), and when I tried a 1-3-1, we succumbed 0:5 (our worst defeat in that season): I had no sweeper and no striker. But in the fall, I got a new team, and unfortunately it took me half the season to see that 2-1-2 could not work with these players: we were scoreless until Game 8. For Game 8, I changed them into a 1-3-1, and we scored our first 2 goals of the season against a middle-of-the-pack team (still lost the game, but "with a bang").

#46962 - 10/31/08 01:01 PM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: AlexUtiug]
Sandifur Offline
stranger

The practice went good. I took the advice of letting them scrimmage right away. I quickly narrow them down into teams of offense / defense. Then from there I found out the really good players. I ran some one on one drills too. I basically have a good defender, midfielder, and foward. The rest are ok. I had to talk one kid into goalie. He really didn't like it, but I think he started to toward the end.

So since I have one good player for each basic position, what would you guys recommend? I was thinking a 2-2-2. That way maybe the good player can offset the ok player. Let me know what you think.

#46964 - 10/31/08 03:06 PM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: Sandifur]
WillieB Offline
veteran

I hate just posting the numbers without knowing if I have the players to make it work however my favoured setup for 7v7 is 2-3-1 played as follows,

NOTE: This is a brief explanation but hopefully it will help.

The 2 at the back play central only going wide when necessary.

The 3 are two wide mids and a CM. The CM sits slightly behind the play when attacking and drops deep to help the defence when defending
The wide mids, well they provide width when attacking with the far-sdie wide mid making the back post run.

The 3 mids all have a role to play when defending however it depends on where they are, where the ball is played to etc. as to their role. If possible the wide mids will defend the wide areas however there will be times when this will be impracticable, e.g. wide mids puts in a cross with attacker and far-sdie wide-mid attacking the goals, defender wins ball and lays it towards half-way so wide-mids are caught up teh park.

where possible, e.g. opposition gk has ball or maybe a throw in then the wide mids will be able to get into defending positions.

Again if possible the far-side wide mid gets back and defends the back post area

attacker - well needs to ba available to take ball sout of defence, plays across the park but when ball is wide makes attacking run into goal area.

It's difficult to say who to play where without knowing your players however I'd try and put the good midfielder in the CM position as this player has influence all over the field. The others are obvious, goot accaker as teh sole attacker, good defender in one of the defensive positions

Hope this helps.

#47191 - 11/10/08 09:53 AM Re: Indoor U10 7v7 Team [Re: WillieB]
Sandifur Offline
stranger

Well we are 0-2 now. I've tried a 2-3-1 and a 3-1-2. Any more suggestions? I think the 2-3-1 is my best bet.

I have a really good player that can play basically any position. Should I put him in center midfield or make him the lone forward?

What should I do? 7v7, indoor, 12 10 year old boys.

Edited by Sandifur (11/10/08 01:54 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura