Who's Online
3 registered (KSDad, brazilfan, Hard Practice), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#49419 - 03/05/09 12:13 PM List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances
imcone Offline

Loc: Chicago
Small Sided Games. What are some of your favorite things to have your players do while playing?

I'll start the list:

1. ball on ground
2. ball played diagonally
3. pass and shoot w/ weak foot
4. ball must keep moving
5. limit on touches

#49427 - 03/05/09 04:41 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: imcone]
CoachAndy Offline
journeyman

Loc: Harwich, Essex, UK
An obvious one,

Score Goals

#49429 - 03/05/09 05:15 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: CoachAndy]
Kiery Offline
addict

Loc: Edinburgh
receive the ball on your back foot

#49432 - 03/05/09 05:34 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: Kiery]
Antony Wilshaw Offline
journeyman

Loc: NYC
1 touch finish

two player combinations = a goal

man marking game (you count how many assists and goals your opponent scores and try to have more and the losers do a ball related task)

scenario training: have a team be 2-0 up with 4 minutes to play. If the team thats 2-0 keeps a 2 goal lead or more they win and if the team that 0-2 down can get a draw or better they win. its brilliant to see the kids figure out whats needed to keep their team infront or to try and claw back.

team with ball must get a shot off inside 5 passes

force your oppponents to pass backwards = a goal

#49480 - 03/07/09 07:07 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: Antony Wilshaw]
CoachFrank Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Chicago
Antony-
scenario training: have a team be 2-0 up with 4 minutes to play. If the team thats 2-0 keeps a 2 goal lead or more they win and if the team that 0-2 down can get a draw or better they win. its brilliant to see the kids figure out whats needed to keep their team infront or to try and claw back

Agree with this 100%. It really gets players thinking and communicating. I've used this from young uns to adults. Using different scores/times to get the focus changed from a one goal lead to a 5 goal lead, just to show the players what needs to be done. I give both teams a chance at protecting or coming back from the lead.

#49485 - 03/07/09 10:40 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: CoachFrank]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Depends on the age. Though all kids develop and mature at their own individual pace, for general purposes let's say a big change occurs around the U11 or U12 ages.

Younger and I like individual skills restriction. Have to play with left foot, have to two-touch, or one-touch, etc.

A fun one (for the coach) to break the chasing balls instinct is to restrict the team not in possession to hopping on one foot. That does a couple things. One, it gets kids to think about positioning because they quickly realize they can't make up ground if they're not in the right place. Two, it gives the team with possession more time to work some of the techniques they know but may not be too quick with yet, and the attack starts to click a little better. But the kids hate it - I once made a deal with them that if they stopped chasing balls they didn't have a good shot at winning, we wouldn't do it again. They did, and we didn't.

Older and I like the restrictions that build teamwork and thinking beyond the next pass. A favorite is having to pass three times cleanly before the team in possession can shoot on goal. I do this in a relatively tight space. Another is having to wall pass before shooting on goal.

I like Antony's scenario and may well use that.

#49496 - 03/07/09 02:01 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: paul12]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Whatever you choose, think about how the words "Restriction" and "Condition" and "Allowance" is interpreted by players, especially young ones.

When I first started out as a lonely coach, I used these types of phrases to 'force' or 'fabricate' certain ways of playing fast, quick touch play.

Today I am a little wiser and I use ONE word for any of these types of games, and that is "CHALLENGE".

You STILL get quick play and there is STILL the competition, but now its interpreted by players as a direct 'Challenge' to their ability and NOT a restrictive constraint on natural play.

This is much more like REAL play in matches and so therefore has a greater chance of 'transitioning'from training to actual match play.

So in THIS case it would be:

"I Challenge you to..."

1. Keep the ball on ground
2. Play the ball diagonally (goals scored from such a pass count double)
3. Pass and shoot with your non-dominant foot
4. Keep the ball moving (ball goes still = loss of possession)
5. Play the ball in 3 touches or less

#49497 - 03/07/09 02:05 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
Marc Offline
journeyman

Here's one I do 3v3 to line: No forward passing aside from the initial pass in. Obviously it challenges dribbling skills and encourages takeovers etc.
Another one I like is forced three touch (obviously not ALWAYS) but I have found this helpful to improve kids whose first touch puts them in hot water. In forced three, your first touch nearly always requires you to look for space as the ball is coming in and predict.

#49498 - 03/07/09 02:08 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
A little game I have used with younger teams to encourage quick play is PASS THE PARCEL:

Its a normal game with cones along the halfway 'line' dividing the playing area in two (as in a normal lined pitch).

However at any moment in play, the coach will call "Now" and whichever half the ball is in, the opponents get an instant goal even though play continues regardless of who is in possession.

So you can have a scenario where a player has gained possession and quickly run with the ball into the opponents half and the coach signals (= goal) and then the player takes a shot and scores (= another goal) so in that one move there are two goals for the team with the ball... and so on.

This 'encourages' players to quickly focus on playing forward as quick as possible and ensure the ball stays in the opponents half as much as possible. This encourages the defenses to move forward too.

#49500 - 03/07/09 03:06 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Marc: "In forced three, your first touch nearly always requires you to look for space as the ball is coming in and predict."

Not sure I understand, Marc. Why does a three-touch game work first touch more than a two-touch game? Is it just because the extra touch requires that much more space?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura