Who's Online
1 registered (fizixdude), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5063
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2444
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#49647 - 03/11/09 01:43 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
CoachAndy Offline
journeyman

Loc: Harwich, Essex, UK
Wille does make a good point about restrictions, I learnt to think about the consquences of using them.

I played an ssg with players restricted to areas, (On a half pitch 4 v 1 in the penalty area and 2 v 6 in the reamining half. I wanted to encourage players to take shots from outside the box, what I didnt see happening was when the defenders got the ball it didnt take them long to realise that they could play keep ball.....doh!

Edited by CoachAndy (03/11/09 01:44 PM)

#49649 - 03/11/09 02:25 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
WillieB Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: coachkev
I feel that the trick is that instead of 'conditioning', we reward the effort to try and perform the 'challenge'.

So, for example, instead of stating that you can only score with your weak foot, say.." Normal goal if scored from your strongest foot, but 3 goals if scored from your weakest foot"

Positive aims are much better than restrictive controls.
Forcing a player to do something unnatural that they will rarely if ever experience in actual play is not going to develop a players decision making.

Technique refinement is okay within specified and specific drills etc, but in SSG's, the ability to make correct decisions AND carry them out is only going to be achieved through natural development both in techniques and tactics.

Remember...REWARD instead of RESTRICTION!

I thought that's what I'd been saying all along, maybe something got lost in translation.

#49663 - 03/11/09 07:36 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: WillieB]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: WillieB
I feel that the trick is that instead of 'conditioning', we reward the effort to try and perform the 'challenge'.

So, for example, instead of stating that you can only score with your weak foot, say.." Normal goal if scored from your strongest foot, but 3 goals if scored from your weakest foot"

Forcing a player to do something unnatural that they will rarely if ever experience in actual play is not going to develop a players decision making.

Technique refinement is okay within specified and specific drills etc, but in SSG's, the ability to make correct decisions AND carry them out is only going to be achieved through natural development both in techniques and tactics.

I thought that's what I'd been saying all along, maybe something got lost in translation.

NO....YOU just said it in Gaelic Willie thats all........ grin

#49664 - 03/11/09 07:45 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
WillieB Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: WillieB

NO....YOU just said it in Gaelic Willie thats all........ grin

Yeah, I forgot you only understand gibberish

#49666 - 03/11/09 07:53 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: paul12]
WillieB Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: paul12
Willie, when I had younger ages like you do, I found the restriction of having to use weaker foot helpful at building some ability and confidence with that foot. I never saw it hinder kids in a game - but after working this SSG several times over the course of a season, I'd start to see them one at a time play the natural kick with their weaker foot, not everytime but every once in a while.

OK, let's look at playing with and without conditions,

two conditions,
1) Can only score with weaker foot
2) Can only score with 1st touch

so we can have various combinatiosn depending on what condition(s) apply

Scenario,

I'm heading up the centre, ball is played in from right on the ground - square ball played into my path - I'm right footed so if the condition applies I can only score with my left foot

OK, first of all it's free play, no condition in force,

so describe how you would get your shot in if you have

a)as many touches as you need
b)now add a condition that you can only score with first touch

for a) and b) you can score with any foot

Now lets add the condition that you can only score with your weaker foot, so we have

c) As many touches as I need (weak foot)
d) can only score with first touch (weak foot)

Question isn't just for Paul, it's open to anyone

BTW, you don't need to answer every combination but do state what one you are referring to, i.e. a), b) etc. and keep it simple please.

Edited by WillieB (03/11/09 08:02 PM)

#49671 - 03/11/09 09:42 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: WillieB]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Well, my U8s were pretty off balance even when walking without the ball. When we did the left-footed thing, it was unlimited touches but every touch had to be with the left foot (had all right-footed kids at the time).

So yes they stumbled and fumbled, which they would have to a lesser degree if they were allowed to use their stronger foot. But the only time they'd use their left feet is when I made them do it - either with simple passing pairs or this SSG condition.

Eventually, they became more comfortable with their left. Would that have happened anyway? Maybe, I don't know for sure. But I think I saw results.

Four years later, three of those kids are back with me though in a different club. Two of the three are completely two-footed and get a fair amount of playing time in positions on the left side of the field. Now of course I can't connect those dots and claim full credit for that development.

To answer your questions:

For a) I'd play it with whichever foot caught the pass in stride, and if I was within shooting range, I'd touch it once or twice (assuming nothing but space in front of me) and slide a shot toward one corner or the other. My U8s would stutter if they had to in order to get the ball on their right foot. But then they'd stutter step even when it caught their right foot in stride.

For b) I'd first time the shot with whichever foot caught the pass in stride. My U8s would stutter if they had to in order to get the ball on their right foot. But then they'd stutter step even with it caught their right foot in stride.

For c) and d) I think you get the picture of how I'd answer. Yes, playing with a designated foot when the ball just isn't timed right for that foot is an artificiality. Its not something I'd do with older players.

Don't know what kind of kids you're working with. The U8s I had needed a lot of balance and coordination help, and that seemed pretty consistent with what I was seeing throughout the league.

A great way for little kids to build balance is to practice walking on curbs. That's an artificiality too, but it does challenge them to develop physical and mental skills they don't already possess. I remember as a kid having contests with others to see who could walk on curb further without stepping off. And I got the benefits of that restrictive balance training without losing my ability to walk on the sidewalk in the least.

#49674 - 03/12/09 04:15 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: paul12]
WillieB Offline
veteran

Paul, my U8s are now U9s and they are a fairly mixed bunch as far as ability is concerned. The only time the really need any help with balance and co-ordination is on a Friday night coming home from the pub, or is that me?

One thing I will emphasise here is that I do exercises where players need to use both feet, I do exercises where players MUST use both feet and encourage them to do so however once the game I try not to restrict their use of their good foot.

As for the shooting question,

My first option is to take the shot with the foot nearest the ball. Taking a shot where you allow the ball to come across your body requires good timing whereas if I use my nearest foot there is margin for error. If my furthest away foot is my weaker foot then there's a good chance I'll duff the shot.

Edited by WillieB (03/12/09 04:17 AM)

#49675 - 03/12/09 06:33 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: WillieB]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Willie,
All what you ask is dependent on the Decision Making of the player at the moment of contact.
Now, for some new coaches, they feel that by conditioning, they will somehow improve this area of Decision Making by their players, when in fact, the OPPOSITE is true.
By taking away the OPTION to use WHATEVER they decide, players have their Decision Making done for them by the coach who has placed these conditions in the first place.

Good coaching then, means that you provide the right kind of environment that is natural and then OBSERVE and then make your coaching points and then reassess the outcome by the players.

So, your question Willie, then becomes more about 'getting the decision right' and then carrying out that decision effectively....

Scenario,
I'm heading up the centre, ball is played in from right on the ground - square ball played into my path - I'm right footed so if the condition applies I can only score with my left foot
OK, first of all it's free play, no condition in force,

so describe how you would get your shot in if you have
a)as many touches as you need
If no immediate challenge is there from an opponent, then I would have the player make the decision to strike for goal UNLESS there was a teammate better placed for a more easier chance to score.

b)now add a condition that you can only score with first touch
Again, looking for the correct decision to get the strike off on target BEFORE any challenge (be FIRST to the ball) OR, play on to a better positioned teammate.

for a) and b) you can score with any foot
Now lets add the condition that you can only score with your weaker foot, so we have

c) As many touches as I need (weak foot)
Here, I would be looking for the decision to control the ball on the weaker back foot (in this case, the left ), to move the ball from right to left as I turn my open body position so my right shoulder is pointing towards the area between the goal and corner flag, and then second touch I would like to see the decision to either strike or play to a better placed teammate.

d) can only score with first touch (weak foot)
Now, in THIS case, I would like to see the decision to allow the ball to run on from right to left and then an instant similar body position switch like above but without the aid of the first touch, so that a strike or pass can be made before any challenge.

#49678 - 03/12/09 07:48 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
"The only time the really need any help with balance and co-ordination is on a Friday night coming home from the pub..."

Another cultural difference. Our kids here in the states don't start crawling home from pubs until they are U11s.

#49679 - 03/12/09 08:17 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: paul12]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: paul12
"The only time the really need any help with balance and co-ordination is on a Friday night coming home from the pub..."

Another cultural difference. Our kids here in the states don't start crawling home from pubs until they are U11s.

paul, to get some idea, go to Google >> images >> type "Rab C Nesbitt " and search.

Willie is World Famous grin

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura