Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5074
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2446
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 179 of 298 < 1 2 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#62491 - 11/16/09 05:33 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Kyle]
lssakcsssc Offline
journeyman

The game winning goal was scored by a guest player, with, I'm sure, help from the teammates.

#62492 - 11/16/09 05:46 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: lssakcsssc]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Fred, you kind of gave Kyle a softball on that one smile

#62544 - 11/18/09 10:57 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: paul12]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Paul et al,

Sorry to let the thread hang for a day but we had pressing franchise and club tasks that took precedence.

Quote:
First, in how many games do you suppose Ghana, Nigeria and Brazil have a speed advantage? I'll bet more times than not. I'd guess if you were to take the starting 11 from those teams, and put them in a 30 yard race against the starting 11 from their opponents, the players from Ghana, Nigeria and Brazil come out on top most of the time.

Paul,

Here's a cross section of theories I found on the internet regarding speed in black people.

"In the world class sprints I only see blacks racing in the sprints. It seems the ratio of caucasion to backs is very disproportionate on a world wide bases. Don't people in Europe and Australia like to compete in track. Is it just me seeing it this way?"

"Actually, they are also faster at long distance races! Most male marathon runners are from Kenya or other African countries and so are a lot of the female marathon runners. It does appear to be genetic."

"The quickness of muscle reaction cannot be taught. In addition I think there is some truth and relevance to the slave breeding that did happen. After all ranchers don't breed animals just for fun. This is not meant to be mean spirited but as a matter of fact. Products of environment."

I'd like to add that African athletes don't appear very often in the Olympic sprint medal count. This is dominated by blacks from countries that historically imported slaves.

Indigenous africans win more olympic medals in endurance events than they do in the sprints.

Is the black speed phenomenom a product of the slave trade and plantation owner breeding or is it a genetic racial component?

Olympic records seem to suggest that your theory about Ghanaians being faster is at least slightly flawed.

Furthermore, their success, relative to other nations, at the U17 level has been incredible. The Dutch have obviously done a great job beyond the youth level. Their system from the U17 age group onward has possibly been the most productive in the world. However, it is easy to argue that the Ghanaians, (relative to the size of their population), have had he world's greatest success at the U17 level. This was especially true during the era that I studied their training methods.

Quote:
Second, those countries are pretty low on the affluency scale. Ask the Brits over on the WCC board why they don't dominate internationally, and you'll eventually come to a universal answer not completely dissimilar to our biggest problem here in the States. The kids don't play much outside of practice. The countries with populations that tend to grow up with computer games in the home are falling behind the countries that don't, in terms of soccer.

Couldn't agree more. That's why the Legends method is essential. If our kids aren't spending the same amount of time with a ball as Africans or Brazilians we have to create a system like the Legends one that forces them to maximize ball touches and artificially subjects them to far greater pressures in training then in the real game, to compensate for the luxury and distractions that take kids in America (and Britain) away from physical pursuits.

Isn't this a solid justification for the "Soccer on Amphetamines" approach we use in the Legends club?

Quote:
Well, I don't know that Ghana really does 2v2 that much. But let's assume for the sake of argument they do. Can any country claim to have more success over larger population national sides than the Dutch?

I covered this above but it's worth repeating in a different way. The Dutch have had little success at the U17 level. Therefore, it's fair to assume that their system is better at ages older than U17. The Ghanaians have had incredible relative success at the U17 level so it s sensible to assume that their system is better at the younger ages.

Quote:
Another question I have is why isn't Ghana able to convert all this success at U17 level - success they've enjoyed for years - into success at the adult level?

This one is easy. Ghana has a terrible adult infrastructure. They have poor pro leagues and an embryonic coaching system. While some European pro clubs have started academies in Ghana these are primarily to identify and recruit the best talent. The best coaches stay in Europe at the home club. How can Ghana compete with Asenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool? Simple answer...they can't!

Conclusion...the best overall youth training method, up till age 17, should focus on the skills and tactical speed taught by the Ghanaian environment and national youth program.

This method should be adapted to take into account the different social conditions and distractins in the country or society in which it is adopted (in this case America).

The Legends club has the only written curriculum that has done this and tested it for over two decades. We have proven that despite a relatively poor level of commitment and practice attendance we have been able to compensate by getting more out of (and into our players) than other, more traditional coaching methods.

As an added bonus our methods also develop brave, creative, leadership character for life.

Thoughts?

smile Andy

#62548 - 11/18/09 12:44 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

wow! I can't believe you posted that. I really have to wonder about you. first genetically superior athletes vs academics now you throw out the genetics of speed in Africans. amazing

#62549 - 11/18/09 01:05 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: zidane5]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Here's a cross section of theories I found on the internet regarding speed in black people."

I wouldn't have gone there. I was just noting that I've never seen a Brazilian or Nigerian adult team wanting for speed, and those Ghanian U17s were much faster than the Swiss.

#62550 - 11/18/09 01:09 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: paul12]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As for the rest of your post, soooo.... if something fits your argument, its because your way of training is better, and if something doesn't fit your argument, its because of outside influences (like the adult infrastructure in Ghana).

Very convenient.

#62551 - 11/18/09 01:12 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: zidane5]
Fred_Norris Offline

Now introducing ... Andy "the Greek" Barney!

#62556 - 11/18/09 03:09 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: paul12]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Paul,

Switzerland has a population of maybe 8 million (ish). Ghana has a population of 23 million (ish).

Most of USYSA National Champions come from big metro areas. Logic suggests that with a greater population to choose from one can put together a team of better athletes.

That may partially explain why the Ghanaians were more athletic than the Swiss.

smile Andy

Edited by AndyBarney (11/18/09 03:59 PM)

#62558 - 11/18/09 03:26 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: zidane5]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Zidane

Please re-read my post. I purposely stayed away from making any part of the discussion my opinion.

My approach on this issue is to point out undeniable facts and to ask questions of everyone and anyone who has an opinion. I'm not taking a position either way. If you read my post carefully you will see that all I have done is provide other peoples' quotes and point out that the records show the vast majority of Olympic sprint golds have been won by people from countries with a slave trade history not indigenous athletes from African nations.

Olympic records make more of a case for the indigenous african being a better endurance athlete than a speedster.

Please note there's no negative racist component to this.

These are just the facts.

frown Andy

Edited by AndyBarney (11/18/09 03:58 PM)

#62559 - 11/18/09 03:56 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: paul12]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Paul

You said

Quote:
As for the rest of your post, soooo.... if something fits your argument, its because your way of training is better, and if something doesn't fit your argument, its because of outside influences (like the adult infrastructure in Ghana).

Very convenient.

Which part of what I pointed out isn't a fact?

Is the professional game in Ghana the equal of that in England?

Does a Ghanaian 17 year old have the opportunity that a 17 year old from England has?

If you doubt this then plese review the chart on page 101 of the following (link below):

Birkbeck Sport Business Centre
Research Paper Series
Labour Market Migration in European Football:
Key Issues and Challenges
Conference Proceedings from the Feet-Drain Conference hosted by the Birkbeck Sport Business Centre in May 2008
Dr Geoff Walters and Giambattista Rossi (Eds.)
Birkbeck, University of London

On page 101 of this conference series you'll see the youth academy budgets of the richest countries in European soccer. My guess is that Ghana ranks below Hungary in youth academy investment.

Feet Drain Conference May 2008

Contrary to your hypothesis I don't find facts that fit my argument. I have done the exact opposite. I study the game of soccer and life, (especially instances of individual and collective brilliance). I recognize instances of exceptional performance and analyze why these phenomenons have occurred. Through over twenty years of practical testing I have then applied those theories to American kids with a cross section of athletic abilities and a relatively low level of commitment to soccer (when compared to British youth academy players and the Ghanaians I studied).

The key to raising great children is figuring out why greatness occurred then incorporating the things that led to such greatness into their life and environment. This is what we have done in the Legends club!!

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't please let me know what would work better. I am always willing to make a positive change if it benefits children!

smile Andy

Page 179 of 298 < 1 2 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura