Who's Online
1 registered (JustAWannabe), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 219 of 298 < 1 2 ... 217 218 219 220 221 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#66404 - 02/24/10 02:29 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: KC Soccer Dad]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
If the training is all that different from everywhere else, and so superior, where did all those other King's players come from. Wouldn't all, or at least the majority of the roster be made up of former Legends?

Guess I answered my own question.

#66486 - 02/28/10 08:15 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thought one or two of you might be interested in the intro' for my new book.

This book has an outrageous premise. Soccer is the most beneficial character development vehicle in modern society! But wait! Only if it is taught the “Legends way”!! Soccer is the world’s most popular team sport for a reason. However, it can be taught as a character developer or a character destroyer. Taught the right way children can become brave, creative leaders for life. Taught the wrong way they can be psychologically destroyed by ignorant coaches who cannot put aside their upbringing and own ego based needs to consistently do the right things to maximize potential. Taught in its most effective form soccer can challenge children to come up with incredible creative and gutsy solutions to tough challenges, under the greatest positive and negative pressures. Taught the wrong way soccer can destroy a child’s self-concept and much of the motivation to lead a positive, productive life. I freely admit to pushing the “edge of the envelope” with my claim that “soccer is the most beneficial character development vehicle in modern society”, however, if you try to set aside your biases you’ll realize the ultimate truth in this claim. While reading this book open your mind, renounce the bigotry of your upbringing, (yes we are all bigoted to a certain degree), and recognize that soccer taught the “Legends Way” is unusually and immensely good for children. Coached properly soccer is the “Perfect Storm” of positive development. Coached the right way it is great preparation for a fulfilling life. Coached “The Legends for Life” way players overcome extremes of public exposure, physical fatigue, skill, frustration, physical pain, psychological abuse & decision making with a unique focus on bravery & creativity. The result can only be the fulfillment of leadership potential. This character maximization should be the primary goal of all teachers because great character is the defining catalyst for positive human achievement. Great character is life’s “Margin of Greatness”!! Great character reduces the temptation to indulge in life’s costly behaviors and enables the magnified personal focus needed to maximize life’s benefits. With weak character genius means nothing. With great character genius can combine intelligent judgment with action and change the world! Many books have been written about fitness, bravery, intelligence, leadership, creativity, motivation etc, but none have given today’s youth a viable blueprint for making these things happen in a format that guarantees the acquisition of these positive characteristics in a fun environment that combines tremendous enjoyment with friendship, dynamic activity and shared purist objectives. The “Legends for Life” method combines the ecstasy and euphoria of overcoming soccer’s most difficult obstacles in the most positive creative ways with all the inherent benefits of the World’s most difficult and popular team sport…Soccer!

smile Andy

Edited by AndyBarney (02/28/10 09:13 PM)

#66487 - 02/28/10 08:42 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

Andy

WOW!!! you have truly outdone yourself with that intro. that is the biggest load of crap that has come off your keyboard in some time. I don't even know where to start in commenting but to say that if anyone takes you seriously at this point they are fools. stick to coaching and not self help books. But then again in the words of P.T. Barnum ( or maybe it was Barney) there is a fool born every day

#66488 - 02/28/10 10:27 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: zidane5]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Actually I think the aphorism is

"There's a sucker born every minute."

There's some dispute who actually first uttered this, though Barnum never denied saying it.

Here's the wiki entry about it.

Well it that's true, and Andy can sell them all a book, if he makes one measely buck per copy, in a year he'll have a half a mil.

Not bad for shoveling hooey.

#66489 - 03/01/10 06:52 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Keep It Fun]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Character is built in the difficult phases of any activity. The challenge is to make everything as difficult as possible, to maximize the discomfort, to build the greatest degree of character possible. In the ball striking learning phase you can; a) tap a ball gently against a wall from 5 yards or; b) step back 25 yards and let one fly. Which of the two builds the greatest character? Is it the easy action or the difficult one? Alternatively, should you juggle a ball or rip a fake with it? Each of these technical skills is difficult but one is the money skill that takes incredible guts to perform under pressure and beats a player in the one v one while the other is rarely used in the clutch situations of the game.

If character is built by taking on the greatest challenges and by overcoming the greatest obstacles then deceptive dribbling and shooting should be the very first skills worked upon because these are the skills that have to be the most daunting and technically demanding!

Should I shoot or pass? Shooting is the ultimate acceptance of responsibility for the work of the whole team that got you within range to let one fly. Passing is a handing off of this responsibility. Shooting embraces the challenge of soccer’s most difficult and influential moment with all its difficulty and pressure.

Should you dribble or pass? Which is easiest? Is it easier to give the ball to someone else or is it easier to take a player on? If the emphasis is to make every moment on and off the ball a brave, creative leadership moment, the skill with the greatest risks, pressure, degree of technical difficulty etc should be the one chosen. Yet the polar opposite is true in conventional coaching. Conventional coaches want to win and even though the win comes at the cost of developing the most difficult skills and the character that can only be built while doing so, the vast majority of coaches cannot overcome their biases and lifelong conditioning to reject the win in the best interest of each and every player.

smile Andy

#66490 - 03/01/10 07:00 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Keep It Fun]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Zidane and Keepitfun

I can't do anything with your criticism because you haven't given me anything specific to analyze. What is it that you disagree with and why?

I'd love to examine your criticism and evaluate whether it is "Hooey" or not.

How about you let me know which part you disagree with and why?

Thanks,

smile Andy

#66491 - 03/01/10 07:34 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

This from an article about Zinadine Zidane from www.Soccernet.com today:

Quote:
Zidane, who joined Real Madrid in their first 'galacticos' era, is now special advisor to president Florentino Perez, and he has hailed Madrid's latest crop of expensive players - including world-record buy Cristiano Ronaldo.

He said: "Cristiano Ronaldo wants to be the best and he says so. It's one thing to say it and another to do it. He says it and then gets up early to go to training at eight in the morning, two hours before scheduled, and he stays there six hours.

"People say he is a show-off, but he's noble. A good lad and worker. Playing every three days, you can't do silly things and he knows it. And if they jeer him, he doesn't care. The opposite - he likes it!"

This illustrates how difficult it is to be a Christiano Ronaldo type of player. It is much easier to toe the traditional coaching line and pass the ball. This is why there are so few "Great Ones" or "Galacticos".

smile Andy

Edited by AndyBarney (03/01/10 07:36 AM)

#66492 - 03/01/10 09:03 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

as you yourself said the premise is "outrageous" pretty big leap to call soccer the best route for childhood character development. it is really laughable that you really think that. you are a coach and a marketer so I guess I really should not be surprised that you feel that way. I would suspect that leading experts win childhood development would agree. I expect to now see some quotes that offer "support" to your view. truly you have become laughable. I would suggest that you stick to coaching and quit with the self help books

#66495 - 03/01/10 10:30 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

There is one thing we all agree on.

Originally Posted By: AndyBarney
.....This book has an outrageous premise.

In virtually every sentence, there's something that can be disputed. I'll just address part of one.

.....set aside your biases....

If we weren't doing that, we wouldn't have read the post in the first place.

People don't like being told their biased, and won't react positively. This is detrimental to the reader accepting your assertion.

Instead the use of, though it's an overused phrase and should be avoided, "think outside the box", or "curb your skepticism" might convey the same idea more constructively.

.....fitness, bravery, intelligence, leadership, creativity, motivation

These are the character traits that you assert are those one need to acquire to

........change the world!

Perhaps that's true, but to what end?

I'm reminded of an old school chum. He was fit, a gifted athlete, intelligent, was a leader, began working in management as a teenager, and was creative, and brave.
He once told me of something he'd do at times for fun. He would "bravely" sneak into someone's house, and "creatively" hide there while they were at home.

Creepy, huh?

The point is, one could have all those traits, and be a criminal.

All of us here likely agree that a positive sports experience can help a person acquire some useful life tools, but there's so much more to becoming a good human being than that.

If you are actually presenting an argument, then at least base it on premises of truth, or at least widely accepted views. Otherwise it's a "bunch of hooey."

If you're just stating your opinion, then it can still be that and still be accepted as such. We're used to it.

There's a common euphemism likening the abundance of opinions to a certain anatomical part.

"Everybody has one."

(actually I like using this for "excuses" ending with "but they all stink.")

No one's saying you don't have some valid information to pass on, but to claim soccer is the solution to the world's problems, and that your way is the only way sounds like you're starting a cult.

There was an old WKRP in Cincinnati episode in which Johnny Fever thought God talked to him and said,
"John, be a golf pro."

Andy, be a soccer coach.

#66496 - 03/01/10 10:37 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Well there you go Andy.

Z, and I wrote our responses with a common theme without either of us having read the other's.

That should speak volumes.

Page 219 of 298 < 1 2 ... 217 218 219 220 221 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura