Who's Online
1 registered (T Okera), 26 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 4993
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Keep It Fun 2404
Willy 2390
Page 142 of 298 < 1 2 ... 140 141 142 143 144 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#60620 - 10/16/09 12:13 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: paul12]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
By the way, I take it your leagues out there don't penalize for recruiting players off another select team. Here, its a big-time no-no.

We can go after other clubs' rec players, but if its a select player, make sure you can prove the family contacted you first. If a parent of a select player calls about the possibility of playing with us, we tell them they have to send a first e-mail that makes it clear this is an unsolicited question.

Not saying that system doesn't get gamed by some. But even those who do bend the recruiting rules wouldn't let themselves get caught telling parents that such-n-such isn't a good coach, etc.

#60638 - 10/16/09 02:16 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
TorresFan Offline

Loc: KCMO
For slow, unathletic kids (your words AB), rec coaches do just fine. No need to have their parents pay a professional coach, spend thousands of dollars in their youth "career", and watch them make JV at best. I have seen many collegiate soccer games and I have yet to see a slow, unathletic player on the field.

You'll have to forgive my lack of response to the story of the handicapped (not the best choice of words, by the way) former Legends player. No. 1: having part of one arm is much less of a problem in a sport where you can't use your hands. No:2 your posts have so much hyperbole and unverifiable statements that I have a hard time believing much of what your post. I'd venture to say most on this forum feel the same way.

You must've spent all morning researching the 1 gymnast in the U.S. that is over 6 ft tall. Congratulations, you found one. BTW, the TALLEST gymnast on the 2008 U.S. Women's Olympic team was 5'3''. So maybe my premise is a little more accurate.

#60649 - 10/16/09 05:34 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: TorresFan]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

No one has provided a good reason why the less athletic should be discriminated against. I believe I have provided good examples of why discrimination is a bad thing.

It used to be claimed that people of other races were intellectually deficient. That women didn't have the intellectual ability to vote. In our current society certain children are deemed so athletically deficient that they don't deserve the opportunity to get the best coaching.

This bias is just plain wrong!

frown Andy

#60650 - 10/16/09 05:42 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: herewegoagain]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

herewegoagain

I guess we'll have to agree to differ in opinion.

All that is now ancient history. We have learned from our mistakes. The club is run in ways that can only be good for the self-concept of every child involved.

Many of the mistakes we made in he past are still being made by other clubs to the detriment of children.

There is no doubt in my mind that what we now do is far more beneficial for all kids than any other program in KC.

We can't change the relatively few mistakes we've made. It's what we do for our current players that really counts.

smile Andy

#60651 - 10/16/09 05:54 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
herewegoagain Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: AndyBarney
No one has provided a good reason why the less athletic should be discriminated against. I believe I have provided good examples of why discrimination is a bad thing.

It used to be claimed that people of other races were intellectually deficient. That women didn't have the intellectual ability to vote. In our current society certain children are deemed so athletically deficient that they don't deserve the opportunity to get the best coaching.

This bias is just plain wrong!

frown Andy

Andy,
I don't think anyone on this forum thinks the less athletic player shoulder be discriminated against...so why would expect to see such a response. At the same time they don't think you should take advantage of them either. $$$ You should stick with what you do best...that is coaching. When you get on this forum; you sound like a used car salesman.

#60652 - 10/16/09 07:01 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: herewegoagain]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There has to be a best coach, right? Even within legends, someone has to be the best. Claiming they allow robotically follow soccer dianetics to a T, and thus are all the same, is a sell-out argument. Someone is the best. Don't know who, but someone is.

So... why don't all the kids get the benefits of that best coach? Andy, why are you discriminating against all those other kids? Don't you care about the kids?

I'm shocked, shocked I say, to see such blatant discrimination against childrens' universal rights to soccer development.

#60661 - 10/17/09 10:36 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
herewegoagain Offline
enthusiast

Andy,
Actually, I don't think we differ in opinion as much as you think. What I did above was pointed out that your club is no better than any other club. (The things that I pointed out weren't what you call ancient history). Unless you are by each coach at all times within your club "controlling them like a puppet on a string" then your coaches will make mistakes just like other coaches from other clubs. We all learn from these mistakes. Therefore, to say you have the best system in KC is kind of an oxymoron because you have hired several new coaches in the past few years that have a lot a learning to do. (Reading your book just isn't going to cut it). It is going to take them years to learn what other experienced coaches in the KC metro know. Your reasoning almost sounds like a recovering addict. "Yes, we did all of these things wrong, but now we are reformed". Other clubs can say they same thing. People on this forum and in general are pretty smart; they can see the transparency in this reasoning.

#60662 - 10/17/09 10:39 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: paul12]
herewegoagain Offline
enthusiast

Paul,
Very good point, since some of his new coaches are not very experienced at coaching. I wonder if they give the more experienced coaches the genetically athletic players? (Just kidding).

#60668 - 10/17/09 01:11 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: herewegoagain]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Herewegoagain

For over 20 years other coaches have claimed to teach their players the Legends moves.

When I hear this I rejoice, only to see that all of their players don't use moves in games.

Now, when people tell me their team focuses on deceptive dribbling, I defer judgment until I have seen the team play in a competitive game.

I have yet to see a non Legends team where all players can do the most difficult deceptive dribbling moves under pressure in games.

Am I right to be sceptical when I hear about non Legends coaches who teach moves and finishing the way we do? I think so!

There will always be other clubs who claim to teach what we teach. To do otherwise is to concede the purist developmental position.

As yet no other club has come close to teaching the moves correctly and getting all their players to use them under game pressure.

I occasionally see one or two individuals on other teams who can do some of the moves under pressure. However, in the 25 plus years I have watched thousands of youth teams, I have never seen another team with a complete roster of players who can do what Legends teams can do with the ball.

I'm hoping and willing to be surprised.

Where and when can I see this occurring for the first time?

smile Andy

#60670 - 10/17/09 01:12 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe these other teams are just more advanced at knowing when not to use the moves.

Page 142 of 298 < 1 2 ... 140 141 142 143 144 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura