Who's Online
2 registered (Willy, pelecosmos1), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5089
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2449
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 271 of 298 < 1 2 ... 269 270 271 272 273 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#74453 - 01/07/11 10:04 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
KC Soccer Dad Offline
enthusiast

What experts say about Coerver Coaching . . . .

FRANZ BECKENBAUER,
Coach of 1990
World Cup champion
Germany: “I appreciate the
Coerver Method very much.
It is essential that youth
players be skillful. The
Coerver Method greatly
improves technical skills. I
wish all coaches had the
chance to train youngsters in
such a skillful, technical
way.”

GRAEME SOUNESS,
Liverpool and Scotland
player/manage/coach:
“Practicing with the ball is
the top priority for all young
players. The Coerver Method
shows you many ways to
improve yours skills.”

KARL-HEINZRUMMENIGE,
Inter Milan player
and German World Cup
captain: “Coerver Coaching is
one of the best youth
instructional programs I’ve
ever seen in my worldwide
travel.”

GORDON STRACHAN,
Leads United and Scottish
international player, formerly
with Manchester United and
Aberdeen: “I’ve been in the
soccer profession for 17
years, and the Coerver
Method is one of the most
refreshing approaches I”ve
seen. It is as relevant to me
as a senior professional as to
my young sons who are
taking their first steps in the
game.”

MICHAEL THOMAS,
Liverpool and England
player: “Brilliant! Great for
all young players, whether
beginners or advanced.”

GEOFF HURST, England
World Cup champion player:
“Coerver Coaching is soccer
for all. It’s a terrific way to
expose young people to
soccer. It’s about getting
everyone to have
coordination with the ball so
they can enjoy the game.
They can be taught very
simply with the step-by-step
methods. Whether a beginner
or advanced, you will
improve.”

ALEX FERGUSON,
Manchester United
manager/coach, 1993 English
League champions: “Soccerskills
training is important, but
it is also important that players
retain their individual styles. I
can honestly say that the
Coerver technique helps
players achieve this.
Individual style and technique,
coupled with sound skills,
make a great player stand
out.”

GORDON BANKS, England
World Cup champion
goalkeeper: “All the great
teams had skillful players,
especially great dribblers.
Coerver Coaching links the
skills of such players to a
teaching program suitable for
young players of all abilities.
It is a must for all youngsters.”

BORA MILUTINOVIC,
coach of the U.S. National
Team: “The Coerver video
series is an outstanding tool
for the technical development
of the young player. Player
who use this method can
become the stars of the future.

ROBERTO RIVELINO,
Brazil World Cup champion:
“The Coerver Coaching
Method is a perfect way for
children to improve and enjoy
the game even more.”

ANSON DORRANCE, coach
of U.S. Women’s world
championship team: “I feel
Coerver Coaching should be
an essential part of a player’s
development. I use it for my
World Cup squad, and it is
equally as important for young
children wishing to improve.”

GEORGE GRAHAM,
coach/manager Arsenal, 1993
English Cup winners:
“Coerver Coaching is a
tremendous way to teach
skills. We at Arsenal endorse
the Method and would like to
see it spread.”

. . . the source

#74454 - 01/08/11 05:47 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: KC Soccer Dad]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

KC Soccer Dad

Great stuff!

When I really began delving into the core of deceptive dribbling and finishing the Coerver and Frans Van Balkom methods were a great inspiration. I have attended four of Charlie Cooke and Alfred Galustian's (The USA's Coerver gurus) coaching clinics and love what they do to develop creative skills.

Wiel, Charlie and Alfred should be applauded for the Coerver method. It was the first really strong movement to change poor traditonal soccer coaching methods.

I learned a lot from what they advocate. However, as the years went by I realized the following:

1) I noticed what I believed to be a movement away from their original intense dribbling and finishing emphasis back to more of a passing and receiving approach.

2) I was unable to see how the method segued into the team game while continuing to encourage and demand significant deceptive dribbling.

3) Character development wasn't part of the philosophy. Charlie and Alfred, like most other programs, stuck to soccer instead of interweaving character into their method. Much of what they did also developed good character but it wasn't done for this purpose. It was a fortunate side-effect!

Their program was great in helping me understand the initial level of technique training and how to transfer this into the live 1 v 1 situation. However, advanced 1 v 1 tactics weren't covered. They didn't have either of the 2 v 2 phases which I feel are essential to learning the initial steps of team soccer.

The first 2 v 2 phase introduces team concepts such as the wall pass without the complexity of the crowd. The second 2 v 2 phase is unique to our program...creating complexity with a high number of players in a tiny area. They didn't create the "Bats in a Cave' scenarios that I believe trains intuitive problem solving and team pre-cognition"

Lastly they didn't teach the intense game based tactical focus that I brought to the sideline of every game.

I may have missed these phases but I don't believe so because they aren't described in any of Wiel's publications.

IMO a player with great deceptive dribbling and ball striking technique (our specialties) cannot make the complete transition into using these difficult skills under game pressure, without going through the intial 2 v 2 phase, the secondary 2 v 2 phase (Bats in a Cave) and the intense game based tactical phase (Playing one touch, two touch, fake and move within two touches during games).

The last three phases are long and arduous but they are essential to transforming the ball hogs and goal hounds that we train initially, into intelligent team players, who can also score the great individual goal when needed.

However, I am convinced that the bigger mountain is character. What we do for children in this area has no parallel in the modern sports world.

It's a huge statement; but my new book backs it up with extensive research, study and discussion/rationale.

You seem like a student of the game. If you'd like a raw copy of this book please e-mail me at andy@kclegendssoccer.com

Please remember that the current PDF is an unedited work in progress. Until it's edited you'll find many errors and poorly written sentences (some would say all my writing is like that!).

The one thing I want understood is that I want everyone to study my theories and make up their own mind. I will make my writings available free of charge to all and sundry (even our most intense competitors). I believe that anyone who has something unique and beneficial for children should leverage it to cover their living expenses but make it available to the world free as soon as humanly and economically possible.

I really hope more coaches and parents take the time to research the Legends method because it really is totally unique and tremendously empowering; first from a soccer perspective but more importantly it guarantees brave, creative leadership character for life!

In finishing I will say that I love the Coerver method and will forever be deeply in debt to Wiel for creating and documenting his approach. The challenge for all of us is to take the best of the existing methods and improve upon them for the sake of future generations. I believe that the Legends club has done this with regard to soccer.

I hope this makes sense.

Please feel free to hit me with any questions.

Kindest regards,

smile Andy

#74464 - 01/08/11 09:48 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
Skeech Offline
old hand

Loc: Where Seldom Is Heard...A Disc...
I had to block andy@kclegendssoccer.com from my daughters email today.

There have been literally between 4-5 emails a day to her private email from Andy which were not invited, long winded, not read information and most importantly NO WAY to stop or opt out of them.

Blocked Andy.

I tried to believe in you, but no more. It's turned in to just plain weird!

If this is what the Legends consider Great, You Are So Wrong. STOP Spamming Student Athletes Please. Children Andy.. If you are going to send out your weird preaching to kids who ask parents - why is he doing this? At least offer a link to your Crap emails to opt out of - is that not only right or legal?

#74466 - 01/08/11 10:59 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Skeech]
freekick Offline
addict

Skeech - You're far from the only person to do this. I've had two Legends parents show me their spam e-mail folder with the same long, boring (not "difficult" as Andy refers to it) junk that is posted here. One laughed about it, the other was completely frustrated by it. Earlier this year, they both also commented about his lengthy self-promotion speach at tryouts/first team meetings (mentioned on the other Andy page).

Both thought the methods were OK/good, but complained about the administrative shortcomings (staff often not present/late at the Legends indoor leagues, late communication of practice changes, billing issues). But both liked their individual coaches and felt they would stay unless a better option came at next June tryouts.

The number of people posting against Andy continues to increase, but I haven't seen a positive post by someone other than a Legends employee in a long time. Even the employees have reduced their support. This seems very obvious to me. However, Andy will say we don't provide comments/options to improve things ... I don't know how we could make it any clearer - listen more/talk (type) less!

#74467 - 01/08/11 11:10 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: freekick]
Skeech Offline
old hand

I guess that's what is strange..

My daughter has never played with nor ever will with the Legends. Actually, NEVER even tried out over all the years for the Legends.

So, Why the Spam and why all the emails (I mean a crazy bunch of emails - which nobody reads)... why is she receiving these?

#74468 - 01/08/11 11:22 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Skeech]
Skeech Offline
old hand

Andy knows exactly who I am.

So I am sure he can explain this to me and my daughter.

I'll bet you'd all love to be a fly on the wall for this one! smile

#74470 - 01/09/11 08:39 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Skeech]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Skeech

Sorry, I have no clue who you are.

Any emails our club sends out can easily be unsubscribed from. Just go down to the "unsubscribe" link and you won't receive them anymore.

That having been said there's some awfully good motivational stuff in there that I have absolutely no input on.

Every child could use more of that type of reading.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten me as to your identity?

smile Andy

#74471 - 01/09/11 08:43 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: freekick]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

freekick and anyone else with a complaint or concern.

I would love to hear about any issues with the Legends club. When anything large or samll is brought to my attention I make sure that the problem (if there is one) gets fixed.

I hope you care enough to let me know specifics. Making veiled non-specific comments on this forum won't resolve issues.

Are you prepared to supply specifics so that I can go to work to improve evry child's experience?

andy@kclegendssoccer.com

Thanks,

smile Andy

#74472 - 01/09/11 09:51 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: freekick]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
The number of people posting against Andy continues to increase, but I haven't seen a positive post by someone other than a Legends employee in a long time. Even the employees have reduced their support.

freekick

While you think you know why other members of the Legends coaching team don't post, I having chatted to them about it, and have inside knowledge.

Those of our team I am in contact with on a daily basis feel that there's no real need to get too involved because sooner or later most of the key issues will be discussed in depth. No one, (not even the most committed of our coaches), thinks exactly as I do. However, the good news is that philosophically we are the most unique and unified club in the country. No other club has a book for a curriculum. Most clubs can't even post a vague club philosophy because their coaches cover a broad spectrum from long ballers, the defensive minded, short passers, rigid tactical schemers and thankfully, some of what we believe in.

It is very difficult for other Coaching Director's to post their opinion without somebody in the cummunity providing an example of coaches within their club who do things in a completely different manner.

The Legends club is very fortunate to have a wonderful team of coaches who are more or less on the same page. This means that even the least capable deceptive dribblers, finishers and quick paasers in the Legends club are probably relatively more capable than the the most capable in other clubs.

Your theory that our coaches have reduced their support is further from the truth now than at any time in club history (outside of the first few years when there were only two of us coaching in the club).

We have a more supportive team of coaches than ever before. As I have said previously, for the past two or three years we changed our hiring methods and only considered bringing kind, caring, loving, giving, moral, ethical intelligent people onto our coaching team.

This approach is paying dividends for our players because only the nicest people are able to put their ego on hold while their players make the brave attempts and mistakes necessary to develop incredible individual skills.

Our team approach is working because our Kansas City numbers are exploding.

Quote:
However, Andy will say we don't provide comments/options to improve things ... I don't know how we could make it any clearer - listen more/talk (type) less!

One of the major benefits for me personally is taking feedback, such as this, and considering it carefully in order to make our wonderful child friendly philosophy available to a greater number of children.

When I first started the Legends club opposing coaches and parents spread much mis-information about our program through their teams, clubs and the community about what I was trying to do (and we still succeeded). In those days the forum didn't exist so these fabrications would spread unanswered and unchallenged. The internet has made it impossible to make false claims because an army of righteous and indignant people, with different facts and opinions, will instantly expose someone who lies. As we can clearly see here, some will even try to bring down a person who tries to do all the right things for children.

As a contrarian I welcome all the alternative opinions that are posted here. Many of these perspectives have exposed weaknesses in our philosophy and system that we have now fixed to the benefit of children. I truly believe that we would not have a nationwide system of blossoming Legends clubs if this forum hadn't given me harsh, but sometimes fair, feedback from anonymous posters such as yourself.

In one of the paradoxes of life it is often those who seek to discredit one that helps one develop more strength and knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intent but I thank you for it anyway.

smile Andy

#74509 - 01/11/11 07:35 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

The World Cup Teaches Youth Lessons

During the 2010 World Cup Johan Cruyff launched a blistering attack on Brazil’s team selection claiming he would not pay to watch the five-time world champions. Cruyff was part of the Dutch Total Football pioneers and was renowned as one of the most talented players of all time. Dutch master Cruyff said Dunga’s team were a turn-off and did not provide enough entertainment despite their march into the quarter finals. Brazil boss Dunga ditched the nation’s traditional style of free-flowing Samba soccer in favor of a more disciplined and defensive approach. It has not created as much excitement at the World Cup and Cruyff says, “The current Brazilian team are wrecking their nation’s footballing history.” Cruyff said: “I would never pay for a ticket to watch the matches of this Brazilian team. Where has the Brazil team we all know disappeared to in this World Cup? I look at this team and I remember people like Gerson, Tostao, Falcao, Zico or Socrates. Now I only see Gilberto, Melo, Bastos, Julio Baptista. Where is the Brazilian magic? I could understand why Dunga has picked some players but where is the playmaker or skill in midfield? I don’t think any spectator would pay to watch them. Brazil need to play with more intensity, more bite on the pitch because they are not special, they are just like any other squad in this World Cup. Always the fans want to enjoy Brazil, enjoy their fantasy at World Cups but they do not have that this summer. They have talented players but they play in a way which is more defensive and is less exciting. It is a shame for the fans and the tournament. They are one of the teams people want to see.”

Let’s consider the 2010 Brazil team under Dunga. Dunga took a more masculine, no nonsense approach to soccer than previous Brazilian coaches. For some strange reason it’s considered unmanly to dribble deceptively, and yet players that can are awe inspiring to the vast majority of mere mortals who can’t. To work hard, play tough, perspire excessively and exhibit qualities of discipline and endurance are masculine and ultimately very admirable to our ego based sports culture. Unfortunately most of these solid, “Dunga like”, qualities are boring, rote, colorless, and grey, with minimal entertainment value. In the disciplined approach there is comfort. Things are predictable and controlled until, and only until, someone breaks the carefully crafted and established rules. When this happens we often witness an aggrieved, aghast reaction. Unfortunately a significant portion of the soccer community, (including Dunga), seem to resent it when the rules are broken by a rebel with a swashbuckling unique style. When someone or a group of people re-create the rules it’s frustrating to the control freaks that have based their approach around the discipline and conservatism of the status quo. There’s nothing quite as worrying as helplessness. Most people find helplessness in the face of something they wish to control, to be the most stressful condition in the human experience. There seems to be an innate desire to control outcomes, to create order out of chaos. Even though all true progress is made by pushing the leading edge of chaos, and it is this very process that leads to ever deeper levels of understanding and growth, most people fear uncomfortable new experiences. The ordered perspective is not a free and natural style. It is esthetically restrained and relies upon limiting options and restricting potential. In the concept of order everything is under control. Its value is measured in terms of the skill with which the control and status quo is maintained, not the skill with which the current limits are challenged. This attitude is widespread and entrenched. It’s a rigid value trap. It’s an inability to revalue what one sees, (even when it is exceptional), because of a commitment to previous values. In all journeys the most successful must discover and refine what to do by trying new things while traveling. The sporting experience is perhaps life’s most public examination of the need for unique creative solutions. As such it is perhaps the most effective environment in which to develop an elite degree of brave, creative leadership character. A sophisticated ability to welcome and optimize change, (bravery), with an intelligent solution oriented perspective, (creativity), is vital to the development of peer respect and the credibility necessary for leadership. As such it is at the core of true success and fulfillment.

Unfortunately too many youth coaches emulate coaches like Dunga when training children. They have rigid value systems dictated primarily by their need to win; an ego based adult reason that causes coaches to use, (and often abuse), children from a cynical anti-educational view point.

Dunga rejected the truly creative and improvisational talent that more creative players would have brought to his team and paid the price. When developing players it makes absolutely no sense to emulate Dunga’s dilution of what has made Brazil special through the decades. This Brazil team was more efficient defensively but unimaginative offensively. They gave up far too much of what has historically made their players and team the best in the world. We can only hope that youth coaches can see how badly Dunga’s experiment in sacrificing creativity for discipline failed. Such an approach can only harm the potential of our beautiful game.

It is to be hoped that youth coaches realize that to emulate Dunga’s approach with children would be even less productive than Brazil’s World Cup experience. In order to develop excellence in a child’s playing ability and fulfill his/her brave, creative leadership character for life, the emphasis has to be on embracing the risk of new challenges and the frightening unknown.

If you focus on teaching your players how to search for the biggest challenges and how to handle the brave, creative leadership pressure of each scary moment, your players will be consistently more successful than when you take the short-term expedient route to winning the next game or tournament.

In an article by Michael Sokolove, a contributing writer for ESPN magazine, he writes:

“There are two ways to become a world-class soccer player. One is to spend hours and hours in pickup games in parks, streets, alleyways, on imperfect surfaces that, if mastered, can give a competitor an advantage when he finally graduates to groomed fields. This is the Brazilian way and also the model in much of the rest of South America, Central America and the soccer hotbeds of Africa. It is like baseball in the Dominican Republic. Children play all the time and on their own.

The other way is the Ajax method; scientific, creative, technical training! Attention to detail. Time spent touching the ball rather than playing a mindless number of organized games.”

Michael Sokolove is the author of “Warrior Girls,” about the injury epidemic among young female athletes.

How prophetic!! In 2010 we had a World Cup dominated by soccer cultures where deceptive dribbling and goal scoring are often the first skills learned by the young player. All but one of the quarter finalists i.e. Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Spain, Ghana & Holland have very technical soccer cultures. Phenomenal touch and deception on the ball is a common component of soccer in all seven countries.

For decades the more skillful soccer cultures, while in a minority, have dominated those countries playing a more tactically disciplined game. What will it take for the predictable, engineered game of Northern Europe and North America to be replaced by the creative deceptive dribbling, short passing and shooting approach that is so obviously superior? If they are ever to truly succeed at the world level the U.S. and many of Europe’s nations, need to find ways to incorporate the best of these elements in their youth training system?

The “Training Soccer Legends” system combines the best elements of youth player development from the most creative soccer cultures with the discipline and engineering of the more traditional ones. Through decades of intense research and analysis the Legends club has identified and implemented hundreds of systematic refinements in soccer training methods that have led to tremendous individual soccer success combined with intuitive leadership in life.

smile Andy

Edited by AndyBarney (01/11/11 08:16 AM)

Page 271 of 298 < 1 2 ... 269 270 271 272 273 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura