Who's Online
1 registered (KSDad), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5074
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2446
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 288 of 298 < 1 2 ... 286 287 288 289 290 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#78902 - 07/10/11 06:10 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: freetime]
speedkilz Offline
addict

Loc: Grain Valley
Freetime, I am not jabbing Andy at all or the Legends. I think he has some great ideas but he takes it too far. Not sure who "you guys" are but please direct your response to me and not some unknown group.

You say that the tactics are not hard to master yet overall our tactics are poor on the mens side and mediocre on the women's side.

Every club I know has an emphasis on skills at a young age. Go look at some of Gallaghers early training sessions or go to Dallas and watch Solar train. It is skills oriented and yet you say our skills are the problem. It is part of the problem but not the only problem.

An approach that only focuses on skills will fail in this country

#78904 - 07/10/11 07:21 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
speedkilz Offline
addict

Ahhhhh truth from our youth. I always enjoy our good natured banter as you have a great sense of humor as do I. Tell Freetime to relax, I love you unlike others on here. I simply disagree with you. Its no different than some of the disagreements I have with my wife. (Actually I guess it is way different cuz I never win any of the arguments with my wife)

#78907 - 07/10/11 08:38 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: speedkilz]
southtown Offline

Funny how much you emphasize on putting the game together. It is not that complicated on the tactical side. It is much more difficult to master skill, first touch, ball handling, etc....

Freetime- if that were the case, we would all be like Bobby Fisher once we knew how each of the chess pieces right?

#78910 - 07/10/11 09:59 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: speedkilz]
freetime Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: speedkilz
Freetime, I am not jabbing Andy at all or the Legends. I think he has some great ideas but he takes it too far. Not sure who "you guys" are but please direct your response to me and not some unknown group.

You say that the tactics are not hard to master yet overall our tactics are poor on the mens side and mediocre on the women's side.

Every club I know has an emphasis on skills at a young age. Go look at some of Gallaghers early training sessions or go to Dallas and watch Solar train. It is skills oriented and yet you say our skills are the problem. It is part of the problem but not the only problem.

An approach that only focuses on skills will fail in this country

Mediocre tactics are not the problem with the US. The individuals ability not to implement them are.

Our players don't possess the necessary individual skill and creativity to compete and win against the best. That is the bottom line....it isn't because they need to become better passers or more tactically aware. They need to become better individual players and truly master their craft.

I do think that that will change in the next 10 years. It will take some time. Those who stick their head in the sand will be left behind.

#78911 - 07/10/11 10:29 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: freetime]
speedkilz Offline
addict

Freetime, I am curious what the soccer community will do in the next 10 years that they have not done in the past 10 years.

I hope you will tell me that we will improve our skill and improve our feel and understanding of the game. Anything else will result in the same results as we have had.

#78916 - 07/11/11 07:50 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: speedkilz]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
I am curious what the soccer community will do in the next 10 years that they have not done in the past 10 years.

Speed

All parties to this discussion seem to agree that a greater range and technical brilliance in dribbling and finishing skills can only help develop the U.S. into a world soccer power.

In the next ten years the Legends programs around the country will introduce a previously unknown level of deceptive dribbling and goal scoring focus to a greater cross section of soccer communities.

Each will have a unique curriculum designed to implement the strengths of the favela or barrio soccer culture within the organized sports framework here in America.

Street soccer will never return. Therefore our vision is one of creating an organized deceptive dribbling and goal scoring soccer culture by providing one-of-a-kind curricula, enlightened teachers and unique indoor training centers. Great innovation is necessary if we are to imitate the best of Brazilian soccer society (creative deception and rhythym) and combine their strengths with the best of American sporting society (e.g. work ethic, never say die attitude, discipline, character, honesty, ethics).

smile Andy

PS: "Likeable blowhard". I'm not sure if I should flattered or insulted smile

#78917 - 07/11/11 08:06 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

so the Legends programs will save soccer in the US? I have heard it all now. truly delusions of grandure. please get some much needed help. I would NOT pattern US soccer after Brazil. Spain, Germany and the Dutch for sure. The game has changed significantly since Brazil of old dominated on the world stage

#78923 - 07/11/11 09:06 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: zidane5]
brazilfan Offline
veteran

Loc: Citizen of the World
Originally Posted By: zidane5
so the Legends programs will save soccer in the US? I have heard it all now. truly delusions of grandure. please get some much needed help. I would NOT pattern US soccer after Brazil. Spain, Germany and the Dutch for sure. The game has changed significantly since Brazil of old dominated on the world stage

WHAT?!?! Legends will save US Soccer? Did I hear that correctly?

Here:

Grandiose delusion or delusions of grandeur is principally a subtype of delusional disorder (GD) that can occur as a wide range of mental illness, including in two thirds of those in manic state of bipolar disorder, half those with schizophrenia and a substantial portion of those with substance abuse disorders.[1][2] GDs are characterized by fantastical beliefs that one is famous, omnipotent, wealthy, or otherwise very powerful. The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a supernatural, science-fictional, or religious theme.

Grandiose delusions are distinct from grandiosity, in that the sufferer does not have insight into his loss of touch with reality.

From Wikipedia: Delusions of Grandeur

Have a great day,
Brazilfan

grin

"If I wanted to have an easy job, I would have stayed at Porto - beautiful blue chair, the UEFA Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me."

Jose Mourinho

#78924 - 07/11/11 09:12 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: zidane5]
Fred_Norris Offline

Yes and in his never ending quest to imitate (something Andy is a master practitioner of) the best of Brazilian soccer society, all Legends parents are being asked to give their worldly possessions (as always credit cards are accepted) to Andy and in return he is encouraging them to establish and move their families into favelas ... in an organized and deceptive way of course!

#78929 - 07/11/11 09:36 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: speedkilz]
freetime Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: speedkilz
Freetime, I am curious what the soccer community will do in the next 10 years that they have not done in the past 10 years.

I hope you will tell me that we will improve our skill and improve our feel and understanding of the game. Anything else will result in the same results as we have had.

I believe soccer is exploding in the US. I see it in my kids schools. 10 years ago no one wanted to be a pro soccer player. Looking at "what do you want to be growing up" in school now and about 1/4 of the kids at school say they want to be a pro soccer player.....I say wow!

I believe that we have started pulling from the football, baseball, basketball talent pools and we will catch up. It will take a decade or so.

Page 288 of 298 < 1 2 ... 286 287 288 289 290 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura