Who's Online
2 registered (jw7, KCbanter247), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5062
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2443
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#80653 - 08/30/11 09:53 AM Accepting Mediocre Refs
Slide Tackle Offline
journeyman

I have noticed recently that many of the discussions here come back around to the quality of refs or the behavior of parent/coaches. I have also noticed that we preach patience and good sportsmanship and keeping quiet on the sidelines when the refs are not able to successfully manage the game. After all, they are learning... I can't help but wonder...

ARE WE REALLY JUST ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY?

Should we not expect more of our refs and should we not have better programs to help them be successful on the field? I decided to look at the programs in Kansas since my daughter plays at Heartland to see what the Kansas State referee development program looked like and was shocked at what I found.

It basically doesnt exist. You are welcome to visit. The site is http://www.kansasreferee.net.

It looks good to start but really dig in...
I thought that it was great that they had a director of mentoring... until I realized that there is no way to contact him. He isnt listed on the contact page and there are no email links. For assessments... There has been no news posted on assessments since the site was opened in February. You can requst an assessment that you have to pay for.... There is not schedule of clinics, instructional workshops or other material that is designed to help our young referees get better...

Overall, I was incredibly disappointed. It isnt any better on the Missouri side... We need to do better. I am not talking about the kids on the field trying hard. I know that they are doing there best but come on folks.. really... How can they be successful? I know it is tough to be a good ref. We ask our kids to spend hours training and playing each week to be better players but we, at best, demand a few hours in a clinic, a certification test, and off you go.... We feed them to the lions.

So, in the spirit of suggestions to make it better... Center Refs get paid $26.00 for U11 at Heartland.. That is about $1 per kid on the field (about 12 or 13 per side). I would be willing to pay an additional $1.50 per game or $12.00 per session to have a Mentor at every game. This mentor would be paid $36.00 to watch the game and provide halftime and postgame feedback to the ref (regardless of age)so that they can be better. Shoot holes in it... I know we dont have enough people.. etc... but we need to do something to improve the quality of referees.

Rather than continue to bash parents and coaches for thier behavior... Lets begin to hold the refs and the development program accountable. I personally want to start with a better development program with real mentors and contructive feedback.

Last point... Do we really think that our kids do not know when refs are good and bad.. They know when they get dumped from behind or have their uniforms pulled. They feel elbows and trips and hear the language on the field... When these things don't get called and when they are allowed to continue... What do we think that teaches our kids?

Just some thoughts... Have fun.

Slide Tackle.

#80654 - 08/30/11 10:20 AM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: Slide Tackle]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Loc: Kansas

"Rather than continue to bash parents and coaches for thier behavior... Lets begin to hold the refs and the development program accountable. I personally want to start with a better development program with real mentors and contructive feedback."

Parents and Coaches who behave badly deserve to be bashed. I have no problem with mentors and constructive feedback. There is no reason ever for coaches or parents to berate refs though . Keep it all in perspective. Its not life or death. Little Johnny is not getting a scholarship if his team wins their U9 game at heartland. I am guessing if refs were treated better there might be more competition for those jobs. The better refs would rise to the top. I am guessing now they bascially take whoever gets certified because they have to.

#80655 - 08/30/11 10:30 AM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: Slide Tackle]
Jaybones Offline
journeyman

Good post, Slide Tackle.
I, too, would be willing to pay some extra fees to have the quality of referring improved. I don't expect to have Howard Webb or Graham Poll referring my kid's U11 game. But I at least expect to have someone on the field who is not afraid to make decisions (even if they happen to be wrong) and who will prevent games from becoming cheap-shot contests.
Too many refs I see at Heartland and at local tournaments seem scared to blow their whistle.

#80658 - 08/30/11 10:47 AM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: Jaybones]
HarvardontheKaw Offline
enthusiast

"I am guessing now they bascially take whoever gets certified because they have to."

This is true. Pretty hard to develop new, young referees when they know going in that a bunch of jerk parents/coaches are gonna be hollering at them all the time. Just where do you think they are going to get their experience? There is a shortage of referees in the KC Metro. Plain and simple. Be positive with these kids until they get the experience they need to be acceptable game officials. Jeez,

I also can tell you that Heartland League may seem like a big deal to you - and it is for many. We've experienced some less-than-perfect officials at Disney Showcase and Las Vegas Showcase tournaments and MRL play, so it isn't just in the Heartland League.

Give these young officials a chance to develop into competent referees.

#80660 - 08/30/11 11:52 AM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: ]
Zebra Offline
journeyman

Heartland has been holding monthly in season referee meetings for the last three years. Here is the schedule for the next two.

Fall 2011 Referee Meetings
5001 W 163rd Street
7-8:15pm
Monday, Sept 12
Monday, Oct 3

#80661 - 08/30/11 11:59 AM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: Zebra]
HarvardontheKaw Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Zebra
Heartland has been holding monthly in season referee meetings for the last three years. Here is the schedule for the next two.

Fall 2011 Referee Meetings
5001 W 163rd Street
7-8:15pm
Monday, Sept 12
Monday, Oct 3

Well done, Zebra.

Those who complain the loudest have the opportunity to become part of the solution.

#80662 - 08/30/11 12:29 PM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: HarvardontheKaw]
jmaster Offline
journeyman

Slide,

I mentioned in another topic that I deceided I was sick of poor officating, so I got my certification and signed up for some games. It was almost a secret look behind the scene.

I did my first games this weekend, BU11 and GU12 competitive games. I centered 4 of the games and AR twice.

My first observation was the young refs (all under 18, I am 42), I was assinged to work with, were for most part very professional and wanted to do a great job. Sometimes they got a little sloppy, but overall they took pride in what they were doing.

The second thing I noticed was my lack of training. I think it would be helpful to have both a center and AR certification. There are so many things going on during a game. AR and Centers have different roles and should be trained with details on each.

Finally, I was amazed at how a good AR can not only make the cener look good, but makes the job easier. They not only call offside, but help with subs, calls, etc... Ultimately it is the centers judgement, but man a good AR is worth it.

For my first weekend, I did not receive to much crap from coaches or parent flack. One coach complained at half that I was not calling in his subs. But I was looking straight into the sun and did not see them at the line. I ask him to be verbal and the second half went smooth. One game the parents from both teams wanted everything under the sun to be called and it would have ruined the flow of the game. It was good soccer from my perspective.

Hope this helps sheed light on something....not sure what!

#80664 - 08/30/11 12:51 PM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: jmaster]
Sokker Offline
enthusiast

OFD is right - it's not life or death. Especially league games for crying out loud. Too many know-it-alls on the sidelines that like to hear themselves pontificate, and more than half the time they are wrong because of their bias toward their kid's team. If they tried being a ref sometime like jmaster, they would find out it's not as easy as it looks.

#80666 - 08/30/11 01:03 PM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: ]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

dont be confused H8. it if for referees not parents of U9 players afraid little johnny might break their collar bone and never play the same again. I bet you are a real treat to be around at a game.

#80668 - 08/30/11 01:29 PM Re: Accepting Mediocre Refs [Re: ]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

now that sounds like a great idea. now you may be on to something. (its sarcasm if you dont recognize it)

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 ... 31 32 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura