Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 4991
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Keep It Fun 2404
Willy 2390
Page 2 of 298 < 1 2 3 4 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#39117 - 11/27/07 03:22 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: u159100]
NeedTuition Offline
addict

Bunch of bull Ian. How many goals did Prometheus score?

#39119 - 11/27/07 04:01 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: NeedTuition]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
 Quote:
Bunch of bull.....

Now that would be more like the Minitaur.
 Quote:
How many goals did Prometheus score?

It was the eagle that scored daily devouring his regenerating liver.

#39121 - 11/27/07 04:49 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Keep It Fun]
Ian_Fleming Offline
journeyman

Yes, you mock, you non-Barneyites! But how many of you have read the great one’s gift to the world, the book that explains all? Take, for example, this passage, from Chapter 421, “Barney Rubble, Barney Fife, Andy Barney,” at page 13,274:

“Many years ago when I was just a young coach I ran 1v1 drills for a group of U10 boys. Of course, I instructed the boys to perform 2 Maradonnas, a Cruyff turn, an around the world juggle, and six Vs before shooting. Alas, none of the boys actually scored during the drill, but the actuation of their essential creativity was a sight that brought me to tears.

Until, until – it pains me even now to think of it – a boy, let’s just call him ‘Little Johnny,’ came to his turn. He took the ball, ran around his opponent without executing a single move, shot and scored.

The outrage at what I had just seen temporarily paralyzed me. As the bile rose in my throat, I raised my arm and pointed at Little Johnny, bringing a hush to the 600 boys at practice that day. Finally, my voice returned, and I uttered a single word, not loudly, but it cut across the stillness of the practice field.

‘Cheater!’

Well, we did what we had do then. The boys formed two lines of 300 boys each to make a tunnel, with me at one end. Little Johnny walked through the tunnel as each boy stared at him stony faced, making his disapproval known. When finally Little Johnny reached me, I ripped each and every Legends crest off of his uniform, then gave him to his parents, never to return.

The rest was inevitable, I suppose. Little Johnny, the cheater boy, the shortcut boy, fell into a life of dissolution and crime. I lost track him of him until one day, when Little Johnny was age 19, he called me from Death Row. ‘Coach Barney,’ he cried, ‘if I had only listened to you!’

Too late now, Little Johnny. Too late now.”

#39122 - 11/27/07 05:17 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Ian_Fleming]
Kaka Offline
Pooh-Bah

You know as I read this, besides being struck by the feeling of becoming smarter and dumber at the same time, I am realizing how much creativity Andy can actually inspire. Just look at us!!! He has a twisted and perverse effect on everything we are doing. He is actually inspiring the very creativity he talks about all the time.

Very crafty Andy, but I am on to you. Be careful Ian, it is a very seductive spell. I am starting to think him smarter and more crafty than the lot of us put together.

Edited by Kaka (11/27/07 05:31 PM)

#39123 - 11/27/07 07:00 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Kaka]
brazilfan Offline
old hand

Loc: Citizen of the World
 Originally Posted By: Kaka
You know as I read this, besides being struck by the feeling of becoming smarter and dumber at the same time, I am realizing how much creativity Andy can actually inspire. Just look at us!!! He has a twisted and perverse effect on everything we are doing. He is actually inspiring the very creativity he talks about all the time.

Very crafty Andy, but I am on to you. Be careful Ian, it is a very seductive spell. I am starting to think him smarter and more crafty than the lot of us put together.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

The old saying applies here:
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King..."

Problem for him is:
"the one-eyed man is King.... UNTIL the 2-eyed man appears..."

#39125 - 11/27/07 08:28 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: brazilfan]
Kaka Offline
Pooh-Bah

Andy has a way of sapping my will to fight. Like a bug to a windshield, I am caught in the tractor beam.

When I read the passages, it goes like this:

First time I read it:
Denial (he is not saying this stuff)

Second time:
Anger (why is he saying this stuff)

Third time:
Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if he just stops)

Fourth time:
Depression (I don't care anymore what he says)

Fifth time:
Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever he has to say)

And at the end of this I am going to die and he will have taught the world to sing....I mean stepover.

Edited by Kaka (11/27/07 08:29 PM)

#39127 - 11/28/07 03:31 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Ian_Fleming]
DDub Offline
stranger

What's with the multiple paragraphs? That's not how the Chosen One has taught us to write. By the way, you left out Andy Rooney.

Originally Posted By: Ian_Fleming
Yes, you mock, you non-Barneyites! But how many of you have read the great one’s gift to the world, the book that explains all? Take, for example, this passage, from Chapter 421, “Barney Rubble, Barney Fife, Andy Barney,” at page 13,274:

#39128 - 11/28/07 05:05 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: DDub]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Over the years the unique Legends philosophy has been credited by many extremely intelligent and worldly wise parents with developing an unusual degree of very positive life character attributes in their offspring. Many of these character attributes are very different from the traditional benefits of team sports, e.g. risk orientation, willingness to embrace ambiguity, paradox, and uncertainty, balance of science and art, logic and imagination, emotional intelligence. Many are already commonly accepted e.g. teamwork, work ethic, rule adherence, organization of time, commitment, recovery from negative events, conflict resolution etc etc. It seems as though the longer a player spent with the club the more the parent and child felt that they gained a very unique and positive perspective on life as a result of their "Legends" experience. As a bonus the majority parental hypothesis is that even accepted positive characteristics were developed to a significantly greater degree than normal by the challenging and creative "Training Soccer Legends" approach.

More food for thought!

\:\) Andy

PS: Kaka - There's hope for you yet.
PPS: Ian - Your rant was very enjoyable!

#39138 - 11/29/07 10:01 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Poem by Sir Stephen Spender

"I Think Continually Of Those Who Were Great"

I think continually of those who were truly great.

Who from the womb, remembered the soul's history

Through corridors of light where the hours are suns,

Endless and singing. Whose lovely ambition

Was that their lips, still touched with fire,

Should tell of the spirit clothed from head to foot in song.

And who hoarded from the spring branches

The desires falling across their bodies like blossoms.

What is precious is never to forget

That delight of the blood drawn from ageless spirits

Breaking through rocks in worlds before our earth;

Never to deny its pleasure in the simple morning light,

Nor to allow gradually the traffic to smother

With noise and fog the flowering of the spirit.

Near the snow, near the sun, in the highest field

See how those names are feted by the wavering grass,

And by the streamers of white cloud,

And whispers of wind in the listening sky;

The names of those who in their lives fought for life,

Who wore at their hearts the fire's centre.

Born of the sun they traveled a short while towards the sun.

And left the vivid air signed with their honor.

Isn't this what all great mentors of children should strive to create?

\:\) Andy

#39148 - 11/30/07 07:14 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Is it just a coincidence that the author's name is
"Spender?"

Page 2 of 298 < 1 2 3 4 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura