Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5088
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#82629 - 10/21/11 07:25 PM 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season
jjflash Offline
old hand

Ok...I know we are just getting started with Regional play for the Boy's High School season and it's not even over yet, but lets for a moment switch gears, or should I say genders, and talk about the upcoming Girls High School season.
What teams do you think will do well this season? Who are some of the top player's on what teams around the State?
Don't ask Ofd...he'll just say Lawrence. whistle

#82642 - 10/22/11 10:34 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Loc: Kansas
Actually JJflash Lawrence will not be good this year. Third coach in 3 years, most of the top players in town go to Free State. Last year I thought Free State would be very good, but then realized they were about a year away. If the coach plays the best players they will be very tough. They have two players off the KCFC U16 Ecnl team. They have one other player who I think was on the Region 2 ODP team, and a bunch of other solid players. They will be interesting to watch.

#82650 - 10/22/11 08:05 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
skiddie Offline
addict

Love this topic but I want to wait to see tryouts first.

#83099 - 11/05/11 05:01 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Ok skiddie...I know the tryout thing hasn't happened yet, but the Boy's season is officially over. Now it's time to talk about the High School Girl's upcoming season.
Only 131 days away...at least for Maize and their first game!
We don't have to wait for tryouts! Heck...at Maize, we're lucky to have enough girls go out to makeup a Varsity/JV squad. Maize is gonna be good though smile Let's talk!

#83105 - 11/05/11 08:07 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
PeleCosmos Offline
enthusiast

JJ

Do not put the JJ jinx on Maize.

#83106 - 11/05/11 08:14 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: PeleCosmos]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: PeleCosmos
JJ

Do not put the JJ jinx on Maize.

Hey...did I jinx the Grizzlies? Shupee is just a big sissy! The keeper of the hammock better step up!!

#83123 - 11/06/11 08:05 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Who's the top women's teams this year in the Northeast? Will it be Blue Valley Northwest again, along with Shawnee Mission West and Blue Valley West?

#83131 - 11/06/11 12:07 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ok JJ I'll join in but I have to admit to feeling less than informed before I see some area tryouts.
I have heard a few people in club ball talk about how good Olathe East Girls Varsity and JV is going to be.

#83134 - 11/06/11 02:21 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
close2theEnd Offline

Just some of my thoughts:

I know that BV West lost a lot of great seniors. My prediction is that it will take them a bit of time to regroup.

BVNW also lost some fabulous seniors (including their amazing starting goal keeper), but their current senior class is very strong. They will do well.

Aquinas lost their starting goal keeper, 3 starting defenders and 2 starting mids. However, Aquinas has talent that runs deep year after year, so my guess is that they will work it out.

If I am not mistaken, OE has lost a main offensive threat due to graduation. It will be interesting to see who steps up and scores some goals. They have a lot of talent on this team. They will do well.

I'm looking forward to the season and I wish everyone luck!!

#83137 - 11/06/11 03:30 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: close2theEnd]
zizou Offline
journeyman

Any predictions on the Missouri side?

#83149 - 11/06/11 08:29 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: zizou]
close2theEnd Offline

I'm sorry zizou, I can't really make any educated predictions on the Missouri side. I just don't know enough.

What are your thoughts?

#83171 - 11/07/11 11:18 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: close2theEnd]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: close2theEnd
Just some of my thoughts:

I know that BV West lost a lot of great seniors. My prediction is that it will take them a bit of time to regroup.

BVNW also lost some fabulous seniors (including their amazing starting goal keeper), but their current senior class is very strong. They will do well.

If I am not mistaken, OE has lost a main offensive threat due to graduation. It will be interesting to see who steps up and scores some goals. They have a lot of talent on this team. They will do well.

I know skiddie will say..."but we haven't even had tryouts yet!", but here's what the teams 'close' mentioned look like going in based on last year's rosters.

BV West- The Jaguars(13-5-0) last year, losing in the regional final to SME. Coach Aiman losing some quality Senior's, six to be exact, to graduation. Possibly 9 Senior's return, one being his daughter A. Aiman who led the Jaguars in goals and assists. Should be a contender in 6A this year.

BV Northwest- The Huskies(18-3-0) overall and last seasons 6A State Champs. Coach Pribyl loses 8 Senior's to graduation, including Gatorade Player of the Year H. Chaddick and top GK Lillard. Return a possible 10 Senior's, along with a young JV team from last season. Possible repeat?

Olathe East- The Hawks(13-3-0)? last season from what I can tell, lose only two Senior's from last years roster...really? A very young team overall last season with Coach Hair returning a large Senior class of possibly 14. Will be interesting to see how this bunch does, being that they were so young last year and despite this, still had a very good overall record.

#83175 - 11/07/11 11:58 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
close2theEnd Offline

"Olathe East- The Hawks(13-3-0)? last season from what I can tell, lose only two Senior's from last years roster...really? A very young team overall last season with Coach Hair returning a large Senior class of possibly 14. Will be interesting to see how this bunch does, being that they were so young last year and despite this, still had a very good overall record."

One of those two seniors was KA. She had 32 goals and 15 assists for the Hawks last season. She will be sorely missed.

Keeping in mind what you said about BV West.....I still think it will take them a bit of time to regroup. Who knows...maybe they'll surprise me?

#83203 - 11/07/11 09:41 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: close2theEnd]
skiddie Offline
addict

Actually jjflash, I'm the one who mentioned Olathe East, even though tryouts have yet to occur.
BVNW will be a challenging team too, but most of the chatter I hear is about how dynamic the OE will be...like they are expected to be possible state champions...that's what I've been hearing.

#83205 - 11/07/11 10:41 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
Big Picture Offline

As long as the coach doesn't play a 6-2-2, OE has a chance. They have the athletes. Not sure they can put it in the net enough without KA to win 6A.

#83217 - 11/08/11 01:04 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: zizou]
skiddie Offline
addict

zizou, As far as MO goes:
(Just my opinion) I think that Liberty will probably be the team to beat (state champs two years running).
LSNorth was good last year, and they have a good goalkeeper, so they will do well (and they only graduated 3 seniors) but they just don't score like Liberty.

I do not know the teams so well on the St.Louis side, but a relative of mine that lives over there says that one of the high schools over there (Incarnate? Ursuline? not sure) has one of the most winning girls soccer coaches in MO in a long time, so you can't rule them out completely.

#83219 - 11/08/11 03:42 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
bleddry Offline

Viati, I mean Skiddie,Liberty lost Groom to A&M and Goff to Nebraska, as well as Clark to Missouri. They still have KC and HB who can pose a threat up front, DK in the back for one more season, but I just don't see them dominating as they have the past couple of years.They will still win the majority of their games, but it may be harder for them to play at that same pace they have had the last few years. you don't lose three players like that without a little drop off.

LSN lost Stanley to Missouri, and she was bullets in big games, they will only have AS for this year and after that, I just don't really see them standing out, unless they have a strong freshman or sophomore class we haven't seen yet.

STA has two strikers in ST(Sophomore) and DB (Freshman) who both have national team experience, also play on the same club team. True they lost Gray to Nebraska, but LL (Sophomore) will help fill the gap in the middle. The back third will be a concern for them.

Sleeper team: Kearney. KCFC-Futura Academy U16 is the core of that team now. Their familiarity with each other in club ball may make them a team to watch.

(Just my opinion)

#83220 - 11/08/11 04:08 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Big Picture]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Big Picture
As long as the coach doesn't play a 6-2-2, OE has a chance. They have the athletes. Not sure they can put it in the net enough without KA to win 6A.

They really ran a 6-2-2? Did they score much with that or were they just worried about keeping opposing teams from scoring on them. That had to have been hard on their mid-fielder's.

#83227 - 11/08/11 06:25 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: bleddry]
skiddie Offline
addict

Hey Bleddry--weird that you would call me Viati!--not affiliated with them in any way (before or after the merge with Rage) if that is the Viati you are talking about. Puzzled by that reference but anyway...

My guess is as good as yours. I still think Liberty may be good. I have also heard that all three Lees Summit high schools will be pretty good, with some strong freshman coming in to all three schools. Also heard mention of Blue Springs South being decent, but not as strong as others previously mentioned. I haven't heard anything about high schools outside the immediate metro area.

I can see how Kearney would be good if they have a core of KCFCFutura U16 though. We'll see I guess. I'm more familiar with KS.

#83292 - 11/12/11 04:29 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
ozsoccer Offline
stranger

Any thoughts about the upcoming season for 5A or 4A teams?

#83299 - 11/13/11 04:40 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: ozsoccer]
skiddie Offline
addict

Oz, the word on the street is that Piper (4A KS) is supposed to not be as good this year...and that Rose Hill is the one to watch, but I'm only repeating what I've heard others say and I do not know what the team looks like for this year...dear fans of Piper, I am hoping for your best wishes and I am only repeating the discussions I've heard and have nothing against your team.

As far as 5A, I think that BVSW is going to have a clear path to the finals, not only because they will have pretty much an intact superb team from last spring, but because they are getting some really GREAT talent this spring in the freshman class on top of the talent they have already.

I still say in KS 6A, Olathe East is the dark horse to watch, although they will have stiff competition against Shawnee Mission East....but we don't know until tryouts are over! LOL

#83381 - 11/16/11 09:05 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

In 4A, from the Wichita area, Rose Hill possibly and maybe Trinity could contend.

5A, I'd have to say Kapaun could be pretty good this year with a large group of underclassmen leading the way. Can't count out the other catholic school in Wichita with Bishop Carroll. They too will have a large underclassmen group leading the way and have one of the top keeper's in the State returning for her Senior year.

In 6A skiddie, you know it's coming...Maize would have to be my Dark horse. They have a great mixture of upperclassmen and underclassmen on both sides of the ball returning. Plenty of offensive weapons. The defensive will be the interesting part. Young overall, but very athletic and introducing a keeper that should do very well between the pipes.

#83389 - 11/16/11 11:37 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ha I was sure Maize would be brought up--they are good, but I understand that they graduated most of their strongest players last spring. I also was under the impression that their very good keeper was a senior last year. That's what the people I talked with said, but maybe they were wrong?

SME had four girls chosen for all-state, including a forward and three are returning underclassmen for this coming spring. I know of a strong freshman class coming up there too along with Olathe East, so they are still my top two picks based on what I know.

#83398 - 11/16/11 04:16 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
PeleCosmos Offline
enthusiast

JJ: Come on man. Maize got beat 6 0 at State by KC team last year.

Focus.

Heard they have incoming Freshman with wheels like her older brother.

Edited by PeleCosmos (11/16/11 04:38 PM)

#83421 - 11/17/11 12:20 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: PeleCosmos]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Skiddie...Maize lost only Lyden offensively, a mid who is a freshman currently playing for KU. She wasn't even their top scorer last season. Sometimes last season, I think the other girls looked to her too much to do something in games and it hurt them. This season they have many talented offensive weapons returning. They should be able to put a lot of points on the board and distribute the ball well between them. Defensively, I can only think of one that graduated who would affect them significantly due to her speed and that was Wertz, a 1st team All-State defender. As far as their keeper last year...very nice girl and maybe a vocal leader on the field, but not a very athletic goalie. What they will return defensively this season along with a keeper that moves well vertically and laterally, with good foot-skills, will be night and day in comparison to last years keeper and last years defensive unit.
Like I said, Maize has a very good mixture of upper and underclassmen. A very athletic and talented bunch that should do well come State time. Very excited to see how this team comes together this upcoming season.

#83429 - 11/17/11 08:08 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ok jj, now I'm really curious and I'll have to watch Maize more closely this upcoming season b/c the folks I was talking with were sure they graduated some of the best talent--like I said, that's what they said so maybe they were mistaken. They were so sure, though that now I really want to see them play if what you say is true.

It will be a fun season...I'm sure Maize will be a contender though. I am looking forward most to watching for OE, SME, and BVSW to see what happens there.

#83436 - 11/18/11 10:47 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
If you're interested in seeing some of the top local HS senior girls,

Tonight, Friday, 9:30 PM, Overland Park #1
U18G Premier Midwest Regional League match
KC United Metros vs Toro Bravo

Both teams are also in the US Youth Soccer National League. Nearly all the players on both teams are college committed.
This is a full 90 minute match with limited substitution, (1 entry per half)
This is the final game of the MRL season for these teams. Toro Bravo is hoping to add three points to their 16 to tie them for the top spot with Chicago Fire Jrs. The Metros stuggled early this season restructuring their defense, but salvaged their season with wins over the two St.Louis teams boosting them to the middle of the table with 10 points.
Last year's match between these teams played in Lincoln at U of N saw the Metros surrender a 1-0 lead with 2 late goals. Having conceded the equalizer with 5 minutes left, the Metros were pressuring the Toro goal to regain the lead. Then in the final minute of regular time with the Metro's midfield pushed forward, a quick punt down the middle by the keeper was allowed to bounce behind them, and was then flicked by a leaping header over the defense to a streaking striker for a breakaway that was adeptly finished.

The Metros consist of mostly local players that will play prominent roles with their HS teams this spring on both sides of the state line. There are also several former Toro Bravo players on the roster.

Toro Bravo has been the top team in Nebraska for several years running, and won a regional championship at U14. They are coached my Marcus Kelcher who has local ties to KC having coached at Ohara HS and with KC Bayern Munich before taking over as DOC for Toro SC.

US Youth Soccer National League begins play in Atlanta during the NCAA women's final four. These two teams will not meet in NL play as they are in different pools.

#83439 - 11/18/11 11:19 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Keep It Fun]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Loc: Derby
Just for you JJ. We will be using the 8-1-1 to start then go into a 10-0 formation, where all but 1 or 2 players don't follow the ball. The AYSO formula, more commonly known as bunch ball.

The truth is, we will kick butt & win AVCTL D1! At least that's what I asked Santa for smile

See ya on the pitch!

#83440 - 11/18/11 11:56 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: skiddie
Ok jj, now I'm really curious and I'll have to watch Maize more closely this upcoming season b/c the folks I was talking with were sure they graduated some of the best talent--like I said, that's what they said so maybe they were mistaken. They were so sure, though that now I really want to see them play if what you say is true.

It will be a fun season...I'm sure Maize will be a contender though. I am looking forward most to watching for OE, SME, and BVSW to see what happens there.

Well...I kinda...sorta have an inside track to this information about Maize ;-). Maybe I should say...oh yeah, I forgot...Maize did lose all their talent to graduation. My mouth gets me into bunches and bunches of trouble sometimes. I probably should listen to TAF and Pele and "fly under the radar" so to speak. Oh well...just can't help myself!
Should be a fun year!!

#83441 - 11/18/11 12:03 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: TODDMAN
Just for you JJ. We will be using the 8-1-1 to start then go into a 10-0 formation, where all but 1 or 2 players don't follow the ball. The AYSO formula, more commonly known as bunch ball.

The truth is, we will kick butt & win AVCTL D1! At least that's what I asked Santa for smile

See ya on the pitch!

What you ask for and what you get, don't always happen! Being kind of greedy, like those NBA player's and owner's are we? You already have 3 t-shirts...what more do you want?! I like the formation though...winning by committee!

#83443 - 11/18/11 01:10 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: jjflash
Well...I kinda...sorta have an inside track to this information about Maize ;-).

Really, I heard you are providing food, shelter, clothing, transportation & allowance to one of the players. You should have a very in depth knowledge of what's going on!

#83444 - 11/18/11 03:27 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Well...I kinda...sorta have an inside track to this information about Maize ;-).

Really, I heard you are providing food, shelter, clothing, transportation & allowance to one of the players. You should have a very in depth knowledge of what's going on!

Hahaha...you da man 'T'...now give up one of those t-shirts!

#83446 - 11/18/11 04:24 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TAFKAVL Offline
veteran

Loc: Slums of Blue Valley
JJ, since your son is gone but you still have a daughter at home, what's it like having to talk about "Breaking Dawn" instead of "breaking wind" like in my house?

#83448 - 11/18/11 06:48 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TAFKAVL]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

My 6th grader is skipping practice tonight to go to her first school dance. Said that she probably wouldn't be able to talk to her friends much cause they would be hanging out with their boyfriends. Yuck!!

#83449 - 11/19/11 01:00 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: oldfatdude
My 6th grader is skipping practice tonight to go to her first school dance. Said that she probably wouldn't be able to talk to her friends much cause they would be hanging out with their boyfriends. Yuck!!

Seeing how I never raised any girls, better you then me!!!

Hang in there, I'm sure it gets worst. It won't be long & she'll want a fancy car...

#83454 - 11/19/11 04:17 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TAFKAVL]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: TAFKAVL
JJ, since your son is gone but you still have a daughter at home, what's it like having to talk about "Breaking Dawn" instead of "breaking wind" like in my house?

TAF...with my daughter, it's more like "Red Dawn", having to talk with her about the invasion of privacy...both her's and mine. She's not into that whole vampy thing...which I'm like...thank you Lord!

ofd...have fun with that and as for you TODDMAN...I'll be coming to you for a loan for that car...or maybe a t-shirt will suffice.

#83455 - 11/19/11 04:47 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

JJ, I already gave away 1 shirt smile I picked all the losers this week, so no #4 yet!

#83474 - 11/21/11 03:57 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

ofd...this post is for you. It kind of has to do with girls high school ball. Heard a rumor that nasty team the Roar, dissolved,kind like the Wicked Witch when Dorothy threw water on her, at least the U14 and U15 girl teams did. That's what I heard anyway...thought that might make you smile smile.

#83475 - 11/21/11 04:28 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

jj--just curious, why do you call ROAR nasty?

#83476 - 11/21/11 04:34 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

You know in that game I was telling you about, the girl from my daughters team got a two game suspension(sp?)for throwing a punch. I didn't know that was the rule. I thought you got one game for a red card. Anyway there are some good players on that team. Hope they all find good new teams.

Has Maize started conditioning yet? LHS started in October which seemed to be a little early for a season that starts in what Feb or March?

#83477 - 11/21/11 07:16 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

To answer skiddie's question first...the Roar played ofd's daughters team and I guess it got alittle out of hand. Possible dirty play going on...which now sounds like it went both ways. I was just saying that "nasty" team the Roar because of that.

To answer ofd's question...the two game suspension came with the red card because of the intent to harm, throwing a punch.
Yes, Maize is already at it too. Coach Holmes said he expects this team to come to the 1st practice in shape...so he doesn't have to waste time working on conditioning. They always run as a team together in the Jingle Bell run here in Wichita in Dec.and then the Frosty 5 in Jan.
Be afraid KC...very afraid! The Eagles have landed!

#83857 - 12/08/11 03:00 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: bleddry]
Dayton Offline
stranger

The Missouri side has one school you forgot - Di Sion - the team will be very strong after its second place finish last year - the goalkeeping will be better and they are loaded. Look for them to make a big run.

#83858 - 12/08/11 03:07 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: ozsoccer]
Dayton Offline
stranger

Kansas 6-A schools to watch out for - BVW - Shawnee Northwest has a team that is young but getting better and better goalkeeper there is one of the better ones in the city should help - Olathe South has a very strong team coming back and has a battle at goalkeeper - H the senior has been training all summer and will surprise teams how good she got (plus she is signing with Neumann) plus they have a forward if they can keep her head straight that can dominate - Olathe East is loaded but has no goalkeeper this will cost them a championship- 5-A even thou Aquinas lost a few players they always find a way to win - NK in goal this year will surprise BV South has a team that was playing great until Cass went down in goal - she is back and will solidify that team
4-A Look for St James again with Enna leading the way - they play the hardest schedule so the recod never looks good but they are always playoff ready.

#84027 - 12/21/11 12:16 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Dayton]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Skiddie...61 more days till tryouts and only 68 until that first practice. It's kind of like Christmas...can't wait to see what the season will bring! TODDMAN already put his request in for the "big fella"...me, I'm just hoping those big beautiful majestic birds, symbolizing power, don't lay an egg come State time. Go Eagles!!

#84060 - 12/22/11 08:01 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
fanof2 Offline

We are new to Olathe and live in ONW territory. Can anyone tell me about the team? Haven't heard much about the girls.

#84064 - 12/23/11 11:46 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: fanof2]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: fanof2
We are new to Olathe and live in ONW territory. Can anyone tell me about the team? Haven't heard much about the girls.

Went 7-10 overall last season, losing to BVW 2-1 in OT regional semi-final. Head coach is Chris Graham and ONW website explains it all in full detail. Great website for soccer info. Tryouts coming up Feb. 27th...good-luck! I'm from Wichita, so hopefully some of these KC area guys can fill you in more on the talent level at the school.

#84065 - 12/23/11 01:20 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

I took a look at ONW soccer website. I have two things to say.

That is a very nice website for a high school team.

I really need to find something more constructive to do with my lunch breaks.

Edited by oldfatdude (12/23/11 02:56 PM)

#84066 - 12/23/11 02:03 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

I really need to find something more constructive to do with my lunch breaks.

...you and me both ofd. Pretty sad ay?

#84076 - 12/25/11 12:09 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
fanof2 Offline

Thanks! I saw the site and was more curious about the coach and players. Since my daughter is in 8th grade, that gives us time to figure it out.

#84083 - 12/26/11 11:16 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: fanof2]
Kevin Kelly Offline
journeyman

Loc: Independence, Missouri
Question: does the EKL and other KS side conferences play home AND home or home OR away with each conference opponent?

#84084 - 12/26/11 11:19 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Kevin Kelly]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

I know in the sunflower league they only play each member once. I think it is home one year away the next.

#84147 - 01/03/12 08:43 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
setpiece Offline
journeyman

In the EKL we play each league opponent only once per season (not counting post-season of course). This rotates home and away every other year.

#84240 - 01/09/12 11:06 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: setpiece]
jjflash Offline
old hand

It's the same in the AVL. You play each school in the league(your division) once during the regular season, unless you happen to meet up with them in a regular season tournament or in the postseason. KSHSAA allows for teams to play a total of 16 regular season games, including tournaments.

#84254 - 01/10/12 01:24 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

A couple of the girls on my daughters team are talking about not playing high school this spring, but instead playing only ECNL. I know ECNL going year round is a possibility in the future, but is it possible now? Will ECNL teams pratice regularly and play games during the high school season this year? Or would they just be playing in a few tournaments?

#84259 - 01/10/12 10:42 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
not that crazy Offline

Same here, but not ECNL. Heard rumors that some are planning to play with boys teams.

#84266 - 01/11/12 09:14 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: not that crazy]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

OFD, I am interested in hearing more about that as it develops. My daughter is likely to enter ECNL next year and will be one year from HS ball. I've seen quite a bit of HS play, as well as play all over the country...and I am not convinced that HS is the best route for our top players.

I am not convinced HS is not the best route either. I am still watching the situation and trying to make an educated guess as to what would be the best for my particular player. Their individual personalities and goals have alot to do with this decision IMHO.

I'd love to chat with any players or parents who go the non-HS route though, and learn about their experience!

#84268 - 01/11/12 09:28 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Proff]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Proff if it ends up happening I will let you know how it all works. You know how it is with parents talking on the sidelines. I am sure I will get the low down. It doesn't really seem like ECNL is a realistic option in the fall, but we shall see. Maybe there is some other option and my kid just didn't get the story straight. Also its early, they may just be venting at this point and will end up playing High School.

Edited by oldfatdude (01/11/12 09:28 AM)

#84269 - 01/11/12 10:35 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

My semi-old, pushing maximum density friend...looks like the ECNL teams play conference and cross-conference schedules, along with National Showcase tournaments thrown in at various times.
The KCFC United U15 girls are scheduled to start playing some conference games in the Midwest league here in Febuary.
High School ball is definitely lacking in quality and skill of most teams and players, but High School ball, as I've always seen it is for the players to play for their school and pride. Totally different atmosphere and surroundings for the players to play within. It's kind of like stepping away from the seriousness and rigor's of club ball and having some fun playing soccer with high school friends in front of your peers. I see the good and bad of it.

#84270 - 01/11/12 10:39 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
BVSoccer Offline
journeyman

ECNL ends for the U-15-U-18 group at the conclusion of the National Event in San Antonio, Texas on February 24-26. From that moment on its all high school soccer.

#84271 - 01/11/12 11:42 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: BVSoccer]
skiddie Offline
addict

So do I have this right:
If a kid is MRL, the can NOT play for HS during the HS season.
If a kid is ENCL, they can NOT play for HS during the HS season.
IF a kid is ODP, they CAN play for HS during the HS season.

I am not sure and wanted to get it from those of you with actual experience.

#84272 - 01/11/12 12:14 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
BVSoccer Offline
journeyman

Anybody can play high school soccer.

#84273 - 01/11/12 01:21 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: BVSoccer]
#1soccerdad Offline

I can't

#84274 - 01/11/12 01:30 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
#1soccerdad Offline

Won't see it until next year but from what I hear Blue Springs has some pretty solid players that will be incoming Freshman next fall. Won't be an overnight transformation but could see them becoming much more competitive in the future....but the discussion was about this year not the future.

Hey Bleddry--weird that you would call me Viati!--not affiliated with them in any way (before or after the merge with Rage) if that is the Viati you are talking about. Puzzled by that reference but anyway...

My guess is as good as yours. I still think Liberty may be good. I have also heard that all three Lees Summit high schools will be pretty good, with some strong freshman coming in to all three schools. Also heard mention of Blue Springs South being decent, but not as strong as others previously mentioned. I haven't heard anything about high schools outside the immediate metro area.

I can see how Kearney would be good if they have a core of KCFCFutura U16 though. We'll see I guess. I'm more familiar with KS.

#84303 - 01/16/12 08:58 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: #1soccerdad]
jjflash Offline
old hand

41 more days and counting until girls HS soccer tryouts skiddie. Interested to hear about your team and others around the KC area, on what the upcoming HS season will bring.

#84314 - 01/17/12 11:32 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
Skeech Offline
old hand

Loc: Where Seldom Is Heard...A Disc...
No kid IMHO should miss the High School experience! smile

#84316 - 01/18/12 09:46 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Skeech]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Skeech
No kid IMHO should miss the High School experience! smile

I concur

#84320 - 01/18/12 04:38 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

KC is generally a few years (or more) behind trend...and the bi-coastal trend is that the very top players do not play for their high school. They have a longer view than high school, and their development as a player is their priority.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/hig...9G_story_2.html

I think it is fascinating how many parents would seek to criticize that decision, when they wouldn't dream of doing it in other activities...

Consider a young concert violinist. You wouldn't take an exceptional young musician who has trained with pros for hours a week over 8 years and say - now you are age 15, so for about 6 months out of every year for the next 4 years, you can only play with the high school symphony, even if it is a much lower level than what you are accustomed to, even if the music is too easy, and the other musicians hold you back, or if the conductor is not able to challenge you. You have to have the "High School Symphony Experience" because it is just that awesome.

Or - are you really amazing at Biology? Perhaps you have won awards and done lots of internships and research on your own time, and you are a science whiz kid. Whatever you do, don't skip senior year Biology to take college science courses at KU or even JCCC. That might keep you from having the true "Senior Year Experience" by not taking every single class your peers do.

SIGH. You don't hear outrage when an advanced pianist decides to skip out on HS Jazz Band, an exceptional dancer doesn't opt in to the drill team, or the math genius goes to college math classes two years early. No one is worried it will rob them of their High School memories and saddle them with a lifetime of regret.

How is a very high level athlete any different? When kids (or adults) train at the highest level at any endeavor, their idea of "fun" changes. It is not "fun" to play/work/study beneath their ability, or with people who limit their creativity. It's frustrating. Just like it would be frustrating for the dedicated and exceptional musician, or student.

We have gotten by with HS ball and outlawing dual participation primarily because we have not had sufficient player depth. If we continue along the current path of development though...I think you can expect to see the gap between average and exceptional players continue to grow at a surprising rate. When that gap gets large enough, it becomes impractical for them to be on the field together, for the same reasons it is impractical to have a D1 premier player on the field with rec players.

Of course, we are talking about a very small minority of players. Which is why it hasn't happened in KC yet, where our top talent tends to be widely spread across clubs, and player density is fairly low overall compared to coastal cities where top players have already begun choosing to play year round club.

However - many very good club players I speak with already tell me that they have mixed feelings about their HS experience, and that they wouldn't mind missing it if there was another good option.

As there are more and more of these higher level players, those other options will appear, and the kids will sometimes choose not to play HS soccer.

Every family and player will have to make this decision based on their own priorities, opportunities and abilities. While most players may still select HS ball for many years to come and may continue to have a great experience with it, I also respect the decision of those who believe that their dedication and playing career is better served by playing year round club and I have no doubt they can find equal fulfillment in that choice. It seems to be a personal decision, and not one that others could easily criticize.

Edited by Proff (01/18/12 05:05 PM)

#84321 - 01/18/12 06:29 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Proff]
Passion For The Game Offline

Loc: Lee' Summit
Proff:

Well stated. It's not for everyone, or even most. But for those where the commitment and talent fit, it's a great opportunity.

#84324 - 01/19/12 12:44 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Passion For The Game]
setpiece Offline
journeyman

I think what is comes down to is wanting to play for yourself or your community. If you have no interest in potentially bringing a state title to your hometown's high school then go the all club route. Really it is a matter of personal opinion. If your goal is to get into a college then club tournaments and showcases will be all the exposure you need. However, if you want to play as part of a team from your hometown, representing the talent that your hometown has, then go high school. I dont know how often it happens here in KC (maybe in OP and on the MO side) but at our school those type of players do not come around very often.

#84325 - 01/19/12 01:40 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: setpiece]
meatball Offline
journeyman

I agree with Proff. A few years ago, Lukas Verbikas was a sophomore in hs in Illinois. He won both of the cross country national titles that year, both by more than 10 seconds. He took additional classes during the holiday break and during summer so that he could skip a year of hs, knowing where his potential lied. He won the two national titles again his senior year (third year of hs) by even wider margins and went to college. Even a year early, he was challenged by 18-23 year olds but decided to become a professional tri-athlete. His college was upset, but should his hs or college teammates be upset that he left their schools early to pursue a dream? Maybe for selfish reasons, but they saw the writing on the wall. The bottom line is, who cares. Let the kids and their families make their own decisions and move on. It happens. We need to be more supportive of those that choose this route instead of being selfish about it.

Edited by meatball (01/19/12 01:40 PM)

#84661 - 02/13/12 11:24 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: meatball]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ok JJ, two weeks from today tryouts begin on both sides of the state line for girls h.s. soccer....keep a look-out for the pre-season coaches poll they do before games begin (last yr Olathe East was ranked 4th in that preseason poll for example). Yep I still say OE is gonna be strong.

btw, #1soccerdad mentioned Blue Spgs over there on the MO side: I can't see them being a factor anytime soon, especially since they aren't even expecting enough girls to try out so they've already cancelled the C teams this year in that district. Most other districts in the suburbs (both sides of state line especially on the KS side) have nearly 100 girls at tryouts and many cuts are made. Also, with the 6-17 record at Blue Spgs South last year, and a dismal 3-14 at Blue Spgs (north) last year, I think it will take quite a miraculous tryout for things to look competitive at either of their 2 high schools anytime soon = not likely, so just enjoy the playing for playing's sake.
I wonder what other districts are cutting the C teams? maybe its due to budget cuts also.

#84664 - 02/13/12 02:08 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Yep skiddie, the countdown is on. It will be interesting to see how many girls come out for Maize soccer and if we'll have enough to field a C-team this season. Lesser amount of girls playing soccer, due impart to the other High School in the district, Maize South which is 4A. In the Wichita area at the High Schools, they also have a "pay-to-play" system in place which requires a fee to be paid in order for your kids to play HS sports.
Don't those preseason rankings come out about a week before the season begins?
Maize I think, was ranked like 4th or 5th overall at the beginning of last season and ended up being ranked 5th in the final poll. They should be pretty good with a number of new faces and additions that could help them out. You never know though, until they start playing and see how they work together.
Good-luck to everyone...that time will soon be upon us!

#84669 - 02/13/12 04:58 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Derby cut there C-Team due to Buget & at the time Wichita cut all there C-Teams then brought them back. Wichita teams made up 3/4 of the schedule.

#84739 - 02/17/12 09:14 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

TODDMAN- not sure if the City League brought back all of those C-team programs. Maybe they did, but some might find it hard to fill a C-team roster.
Hey...let me know when the Titan brackets come out. Been a mild winter, so you shouldn't have had to do too much layering of those t-shirts.

#84749 - 02/17/12 01:38 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Hey...let me know when the Titan brackets come out. Been a mild winter, so you shouldn't have had to do too much layering of those t-shirts.

Here's the link to the teams entered ( The Titan Classic ). Waiting on the brackets.

Yep, still need more Tee's!

#84791 - 02/20/12 07:21 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
ozsoccer Offline
stranger

One week until tryouts...any new thoughts about 6A and/or 5A soccer on the Kansas side?

#84797 - 02/21/12 10:05 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: ozsoccer]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: ozsoccer
One week until tryouts...any new thoughts about 6A and/or 5A soccer on the Kansas side?

6A- Maize is loaded for bear and will be in the Final Four.

5A- Kapaun or Carroll, one or both of the Catholic's have a great chance at a title.

4A- Rose Hill looks to have a veteran team that will compete for a title.

#84803 - 02/21/12 01:05 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ok here are my predictions for KS before tryouts:

6A = Shawnee Mission East toss up with Olathe East for top two teams; and I'd say a tie for third between Lawrence Free State and Maize

5A = Blue Valley SW with a close second in Andover Central; with Bishop MIege or Mill Valley third/fourth

4A = Rose Hill will run away with it no problem; 2nd a toss up between St.James and Spring Hill

OK that's my prediction, so we'll see how it plays out.

#84804 - 02/21/12 02:07 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Skid...got to disagree with you on the 5A Andover Central thing. They'll be alright with some veteran players returning, but Kapaun and Bishop Carroll are gonna be pretty good, if not at the beginning of the season, definitely towards the end. They're both loaded with young talent, and should be pretty darn good as the season wears on.
I'm definitely ready for this thing to get started!

#84805 - 02/21/12 05:55 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ok jj, let's see how it plays out and we'll see which of us gets it right-should be fun--lots of quality teams, and yes Andover Central is a dark horse I know but I'm gonna bet on them.
I do give you props for your Kapaun and Bishop Carroll choices--I expect them to be good don't get me wrong, but I think for 5A BVSW will top them.

YESSSSS I'm ready for the season to start already!

#84810 - 02/22/12 11:40 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Skiddie...I'll let you know more about Andover Central after we play them on April 5th. Tryouts this coming Monday and then it all begins.

#84811 - 02/22/12 10:58 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Had an interesting parent meeting tonight with the new coach of my daughters High School team.

1. No Cell phone or Ipod use on the bus before away games. (I don't think my daughter will survive this)

2. Dresses and maybe shorts (not sure), have to be longer than the fingers of your hand while your arms are at your side. Hard to describe that one.

3. No wearing just sports bras at practice, and if you have to change shirts you must put the new shirt on over the original shirt and then take the original one off. Not sure I could do this if I tried.

Gonna be an interesting year.

#84812 - 02/23/12 08:00 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

#3 is ridiculous. Welcome to Kansas, where a girl showing her stomach while changing shirts over a sports bra rates a special moral standards rule.

Just what the teenage girls need - someone else to tell them that they should be ashamed of their bodies, and that no matter where they are, or what they are doing - they can EXPECT to be sexualized, so they better be careful not to offend anyone.

Question: Do the boys have to do that? They better, or I would be in the ADs office. STUPID!

Edited by Proff (02/23/12 08:01 AM)

#84813 - 02/23/12 08:15 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Proff]
socrnewbie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: on the edge
Originally Posted By: Proff
#3 is ridiculous. Welcome to Kansas, where a girl showing her stomach while changing shirts over a sports bra rates a special moral standards rule.

Just what the teenage girls need - someone else to tell them that they should be ashamed of their bodies, and that no matter where they are, or what they are doing - they can EXPECT to be sexualized, so they better be careful not to offend anyone.

Question: Do the boys have to do that? They better, or I would be in the ADs office. STUPID!

Relax. In this day of overhyped parents either sueing or feinting the possibility of sexual harassment, even you should know that with any reduced or non playing time to reduce the chance of getting little Jenny a scholarship, they will cry foul. Proff, you are a deep thinker and a deep writer, this must have come from somebody else in your house. Do you really think that a male coach is going to stick their neck out and put their job on the line because of this? It's his rules. I am not surprised the rules went public, for conversation's sake, but perhaps he has been either burned or had to put up with the over aggressive soccer parent in the past.

#84814 - 02/23/12 08:45 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: socrnewbie]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

I am not upset about any of the rules. I just think they are interesting and quite a bit different then what the girls will be used to. I always believe that the coach makes the rules and thats that. The cell phone thing is going to be an issue. I hope its worth it. I am not proud of this, but my kid is totally addicted to her phone. Her Ipod is not far behind. The changing shirts with a sports bra thing is so ingrained in Soccer culture that it is going to be interesting to see if the girls can break the habbit. None of this is a big deal, I just think its unusual and interesting.

#84816 - 02/23/12 10:54 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Rule #3 should be incorporated at the local YMCA's and not for young girls...but for the old fat guy's like myself...and some of those guy's don't even wear a sports bra...disgusting!!

#84817 - 02/23/12 10:59 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Big soccer meeting tonight before our tryouts. Wonder what kind of special rules my daughter and her teammates will have to adhere to. I plan on protesting if rule #3 comes up!

#84819 - 02/23/12 12:39 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

maybe players could just wear body paint.

#84820 - 02/23/12 12:39 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: zidane5]
zidane5 Offline
old hand

that was a joke so dont get all bent out of shape proff

#84821 - 02/23/12 12:41 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: zidane5]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

I think the boys should have to wear pasties when they change their shirts! ;-)

#84823 - 02/23/12 12:54 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Proff]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

Yeah newbie - I guess I just get tired of the double standards for the girls. At the highest levels, it isn't too bad - but studies have shown that referees (yep!) call lighter fouls on girls than on boys, that coaches are less demanding of female players across all ages, that school coaches in particular expect female players to adhere to different standards of "ettiquette" than the guys, etc.

The great thing about sports for girls, in general and IMHO - is that they get to just go out and be themselves. They don't have to worry so much about how they look, they can be confident and commanding and not have boys or teachers giving them a hard time about it, and they earn team respect with substance, not sex appeal - in short - they don't have to act like soceity says "girls" should, they can just act like people.

So things like this shirt changing rule really make me cringe. You are right though, it's a raw nerve. I treat my daughter with respect, the same way I would want to be treated. If someone said I had to do this crazy shirt thing while changing to referee on the sideline (but the guys didn't), I would have to have a serious heart to heart with them about why - and then I would still probably go work somewhere else.

#84829 - 02/23/12 03:38 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Proff]
freekick Offline
addict

Sorry Proff, but soccer leagues are still a business, and as such, you have to take into account customer perception. You might feel it is acceptable for a female to wear just a sport bra. But what if a few "old school" parents (or grandparents?) feel it is inappropriate for a female to start undressing, down to their undergarments, in front of their innocent little child?

Now you're the referee administrator (or league official) and must decide who's moral position is correct. Do they ignore the customer or establish a more restrictive changing policy? Then what happens when a female decides to push "the norm" further and changes with a provocative bra - or nothing underneath? Hey, the guys strip to the skin, why can't the girls??

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) there's still lots of grey in society and no right/wrong answer. That's why you get different policies. And as a ref/player then have to decide whether you'll work (or play) within these policies, go elsewhere, or opt not to participate.

#84835 - 02/23/12 07:03 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Proff]
fanof2 Offline

Proff-I am not for double standards for girls at all but not sure promoting modesty is all that bad. My girls usually wear a tank top so swapping out is effortless. Frankly, I wish a few more parents promoted modesty. We were at a tourney where a whole team of girls sat around in their sports bras between games. I found that inappropriate. I can see a quick switcheroo but 2-3 hrs sitting around in your bra is a bit excessive.

Honestly, I think the iPod rule is worse. You should be able to listen to your music and get focused on the task at hand. I am sure the coach is more concerned about the distraction of texting and fb but that seems unnecessary.

Oh well, if those are the rules handed down by the coach then they'll be followed.

#84851 - 02/24/12 10:10 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: fanof2]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Nope...no rule #3 mentioned at our meeting last night. Went over the new KSHSAA rule for concussions, but no rule #3.
fanof2 and freekick, you're right...alittle modesty with this issue of the sports bra thing is good, but at least a sports bra is better than some of the bikini tops you'll see girls wearing at public pools and whatnot in the summer. I guess if it was called a sports top instead of a bra, maybe it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Blame it all on Brandi Chastain...she started all of this!

#84858 - 02/24/12 11:31 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Rules are made to be broken.

The first rule makes perfect sense to me. In mental preparation for a game, getting everyone in the same mindset is key. Anyone tried to have a conversation with your kid where you have to repeat everything you say after they've removed at least one of the headphones? I can imagine it would get pretty old pretty quick having to preface everything with, "okay, everyone take your headphones out" only to see players then taking out their headphones, and asking the person next to them what had been said.
Most teams make up a warm up CD that probably doesn't include anything that would offend anyone's grandmother. If they want music, then they can listen to that. Then it's a shared team experience.
Texting, anyone had the urge to hurl their kid's phone out the car window? How about texting back and forth between the front, and back seat? Perhaps the coach wants the players to interact on a human level prior to a match.
I'm sure, in case of emergency, the coach would allow the phone rule to be bent.

Doesn't the school already have a dress code that requires the finger length skirts/shorts? The same rule applies to the boys as well. School event, school decorum.

The sports bra issue could fall into the same category, not school attire. That being the case, the boys should not be allowed to go shirtless. If a guy yanks his shirt off, then the girls are going to notice in a similar way as the boys.
Certainly there's a double standard here. Not just between genders, but in what is acceptable attire. Most sports bras are less revealing than a typical bathing suit. What does the swim team wear? One piece suits most likely, but for all practical purposes, they're one thin stretchy layer from naked.
All it would take for me to implement such a rule would be one player, as they were changing, turning and flexing to spectators, or something else to attract attention to themselves.
At least they don't have to dress like the Iranian women's team.

Rules are made when someone has abused their rights.

Or maybe, just maybe, the coach wants to see his players develop into respectable young ladies instead of a bunch of mean A-- B-----s that know how to kick balls.

#84859 - 02/24/12 01:34 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Keep It Fun]
bleddry Offline

Yeah I try and teach my daughter all the time that what is going to make her respectable is not showing her stomach to anyone..by the way anyone got any floor length dresses I can give her to wear to school, I think she is tired of the ones she has. This discussion just seems stupid to me as a parent. I look at my daughter as an athlete. Always has been , always will be. She is proud of the way she looks and I have raised her to be proud of the way she looks, big thighs and all.(Anyone who has ever heard the scream "Ugh...so tight in the thighs, so loose in the waist", will know what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiyPJnsoe9c ) She knew what building all the muscle up would make her look like and guess what, maybe she is a little proud of the fact that she has a six pack.

I think here that the person that might be offended by seeing my daughter, in her sports bra, changing her shirt on the sidelines before a game, might need to ask themselves, "Why is that offensive to me?" I mean are we still living in a day and age where we are asking our daughters to be ashamed of what they look like? Especially at an age where they may feel awkward about their body's in the first place.Yeah I guess the right thing to do is make them even more self conscious about how they look by telling them it is against the rules to change their shirts on the sidelines because some one may get offended. I mean really , who is going to get offended by looking at the back of some kids sports bra when they change. Is it all the muscles they are offended by?

Modesty? Lets examine that. Modesty is defined as -
1. The state or quality of being modest.
2. Reserve or propriety in speech, dress, or behavior.
3. Lack of pretentiousness; simplicity.

So what is modest?

1. Having or showing a moderate estimation of one's own talents, abilities, and value. - Ok I don't think my daughter switching shirts is a showing of her talents, abilities, or value.
2. Having or proceeding from a disinclination to call attention to oneself; retiring or diffident. - Once again switching shirts is not an act to call attention to herself, she is simply getting ready to play a game.
3. Observing conventional proprieties in speech, behavior, or dress. - Ok this might apply, but as has been pointed out, this is done by most of the players on the team any way so the act itself would fall inline with what is considered by her peers as conventional dress for the occasion.
4. Free from showiness or ostentation; unpretentious - Once again is someone really trying to argue that by switching shirts she is trying to bring attention to herself?

Bottom line - stupid rule created to protect people living in the 1950's. She's not just a girl, she is an athlete, stop treating her like just a girl and start treating her like an athlete. So what she has a sports bra on ..who cares, guess what she has b***s, who cares. Do you think she does not know that people will see her sports bra when she takes off her shirt. Why should we make them feel like they should be embarrassed or ashamed of what the look like in a sports bra anyways. Does this not harm their self image in some way by making them believe that they should be ashamed or embarrassed. Heck I have worked very hard a parent to do just the opposite with her as she has grown up and reminded her that she has an athletes body and should be proud of it. I am more interested in if she can dribble around the defender she is squaring up against, I don't much care if she is going to show somebody her sports bra or not for 50 seconds while she changes shirts. I mean honestly the swimsuits she wears are 100 times more revealing then any sports bra she ever chooses to put on. Its time for us as a group to grow up and move forward.

Edited by bleddry (02/24/12 03:36 PM)

#84860 - 02/24/12 01:37 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Keep It Fun]
not that crazy Offline

From my understanding...the coach is actually a brand new FEMALE coach. She has coached club soccer, but has never been a high school girls coach before.

#84861 - 02/24/12 03:06 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: not that crazy]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

Me too bleddry - my kid is an amazon. If she didn't have soccer, her body esteem would be very low. Alot of our soccer girls aren't the petite, super skinny look that is idolized by media (though some are!) and they take alot of flack from peers, teachers, churches, and society in general for not looking "the way they should". That's alot of negativity, and that could run my daughter down.

Instead - she looks at those quads and gluts that take a size 9 pair of jeans and says - "Yeah, that's what it takes to be faster than 95% of the girls out there, and so I love it."

I'm proud that she has hopes and dreams that are about character and effort, rather than about pleasing others and looking pretty in order to manipulate her way through the world. Watching how her beleifs have been shaped by soccer...I think she will be fit through her entire life, less likely to suffer from depression, less likely to abuse a substance or be in an abusive relationship...etc.

She wouldn't have any problem changing shirts on the sideline - because she sees her body as a reflection of her HARD WORK, and not just as some object of desire or shame. She owns her body, it doesn't own her ;-)

This policy says "Hey - there are still alot of people out there who think you are a sex object first, and an athlete second." AND we care more about what they think...than what you think.

Bleddry is right - that's a problem with the spectator, not with the girls. If you let that stand - then what is to stop them from cutting female players altogether? After all - young ladies should not be acting so aggresively, it is unbecoming.

Freekick - HS soccer is not a business, but even if it was, there is no liability concern here. For example - you don't see this kind of nonsense on club teams, or at least I never have. Girls very routinely change shirts on the sideline over their sports bras. If someone is offended, they are free to look the other way, or not to come to the game, or to have their own daughter do the Houdini shirt change (or wear a tank as one poster suggested). They are free to dictate to their own daughter whatever moral code they like - but they shouldn't get to dictate to mine.

The youth game is for the players anyway, and the spectators should feel darn lucky to have the privelege of setting up their chairs.

LOL, if you had to wait for everyone to agree something was NOT offensive before you could make it policy then we'd still have segregated schools, and laws to keep women from owning property or voting. Many HS athletes wear less clothes and for the entire sporting event...Holy cow - look at HS gymnasts and what they wear, or the tiny shorts and tanks the cross country team wears, or the male swimmers!

Rule #3 is not a huge deal, don't get me wrong - but it is an unfair exception and one that bears challenging. That's a lesson for our daughters as well.

Edited by Proff (02/24/12 03:18 PM)

#84862 - 02/24/12 04:45 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Proff]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

The JV Titan Classic teams are posted They start March 16th.
Wichita-East, Wichita-Heights, Wichita-North, Derby, Maize South,
Valley Center, Hutchinson
I have the bracket posted at http://www.sportz.toddman.org/

I'll post the Varsity Brackets when they come out. The following schools are: Wichita-East, Wichita-Heights, Wichita-Kapaun Mt. Carmel, Wichita-Northwest, Wichita-Southeast, Derby, Dodge City,
Winfield, Maize, Emporia, Great Bend, Hutchinson, Liberal, Salina Central, Haysville-Campus

Will see how well JJ's girls do smile

#84879 - 02/25/12 02:30 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

Toddman

JJ already put the jinx on Maize again.

My prediction. Maize will win the Titan Classic and make it to State again. Girls soccer in Wichita and Western part of state is very weak so Maize will win by default.

The test will be when Maize plays vs. the KC area teams.
We shall see but my prediction is KC area team will win state.

Allot could change though if some of the top players from KC area elect to play club not high school.

Edited by pelecosmos1 (02/25/12 02:32 PM)

#84923 - 02/28/12 11:20 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: pelecosmos1]
jjflash Offline
old hand

TODDMAN

Pele is delusional! He has no clue of what he's talking about!! He's just overly excited the Shocker's are ranked #15 in the Nation now and is hoping for a match up with the Hawks at the Big Dance...so don't take too much stock in what he has to say.

Any news on Titan Classic Brackets?

#84928 - 02/28/12 04:58 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Before you get to state, you'll have to go though Derby!

Brackets are posted at http://www.wichitacityleague.org/g5-bin/...mp;view_id=3735

Go Shox's!

#84944 - 02/29/12 08:25 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: bleddry]
fanof2 Offline

Originally Posted By: bleddry
Yeah I try and teach my daughter all the time that what is going to make her respectable is not showing her stomach to anyone..by the way anyone got any floor length dresses I can give her to wear to school, I think she is tired of the ones she has. This discussion just seems stupid to me as a parent. I look at my daughter as an athlete. Always has been , always will be. She is proud of the way she looks and I have raised her to be proud of the way she looks, big thighs and all.(Anyone who has ever heard the scream "Ugh...so tight in the thighs, so loose in the waist", will know what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiyPJnsoe9c ) She knew what building all the muscle up would make her look like and guess what, maybe she is a little proud of the fact that she has a six pack.

I think here that the person that might be offended by seeing my daughter, in her sports bra, changing her shirt on the sidelines before a game, might need to ask themselves, "Why is that offensive to me?" I mean are we still living in a day and age where we are asking our daughters to be ashamed of what they look like? Especially at an age where they may feel awkward about their body's in the first place.Yeah I guess the right thing to do is make them even more self conscious about how they look by telling them it is against the rules to change their shirts on the sidelines because some one may get offended. I mean really , who is going to get offended by looking at the back of some kids sports bra when they change. Is it all the muscles they are offended by?

Modesty? Lets examine that. Modesty is defined as -
1. The state or quality of being modest.
2. Reserve or propriety in speech, dress, or behavior.
3. Lack of pretentiousness; simplicity.

So what is modest?

1. Having or showing a moderate estimation of one's own talents, abilities, and value. - Ok I don't think my daughter switching shirts is a showing of her talents, abilities, or value.
2. Having or proceeding from a disinclination to call attention to oneself; retiring or diffident. - Once again switching shirts is not an act to call attention to herself, she is simply getting ready to play a game.
3. Observing conventional proprieties in speech, behavior, or dress. - Ok this might apply, but as has been pointed out, this is done by most of the players on the team any way so the act itself would fall inline with what is considered by her peers as conventional dress for the occasion.
4. Free from showiness or ostentation; unpretentious - Once again is someone really trying to argue that by switching shirts she is trying to bring attention to herself?

Bottom line - stupid rule created to protect people living in the 1950's. She's not just a girl, she is an athlete, stop treating her like just a girl and start treating her like an athlete. So what she has a sports bra on ..who cares, guess what she has b***s, who cares. Do you think she does not know that people will see her sports bra when she takes off her shirt. Why should we make them feel like they should be embarrassed or ashamed of what the look like in a sports bra anyways. Does this not harm their self image in some way by making them believe that they should be ashamed or embarrassed. Heck I have worked very hard a parent to do just the opposite with her as she has grown up and reminded her that she has an athletes body and should be proud of it. I am more interested in if she can dribble around the defender she is squaring up against, I don't much care if she is going to show somebody her sports bra or not for 50 seconds while she changes shirts. I mean honestly the swimsuits she wears are 100 times more revealing then any sports bra she ever chooses to put on. Its time for us as a group to grow up and move forward.

I have no beef with the girls switching out a shirt. I also don't think it is right that there is a double standard with the boys and girls. A sports bra isn't a shirt. These athletes should be proud of their bodies and the work they have put into them. If we don't tell kids what is appropriate and when it is appropriate they show up to their first job looking like they are headed to the club. Believe me, that happens everyday.

#84949 - 03/01/12 11:43 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
#1soccerdad Offline

Ok JJ, two weeks from today tryouts begin on both sides of the state line for girls h.s. soccer....keep a look-out for the pre-season coaches poll they do before games begin (last yr Olathe East was ranked 4th in that preseason poll for example). Yep I still say OE is gonna be strong.

btw, #1soccerdad mentioned Blue Spgs over there on the MO side: I can't see them being a factor anytime soon, especially since they aren't even expecting enough girls to try out so they've already cancelled the C teams this year in that district. Most other districts in the suburbs (both sides of state line especially on the KS side) have nearly 100 girls at tryouts and many cuts are made. Also, with the 6-17 record at Blue Spgs South last year, and a dismal 3-14 at Blue Spgs (north) last year, I think it will take quite a miraculous tryout for things to look competitive at either of their 2 high schools anytime soon = not likely, so just enjoy the playing for playing's sake.
I wonder what other districts are cutting the C teams? maybe its due to budget cuts also.

When I mentioned this it was not directed at this years performance but rather something that could begin changing next year. I don't own a crystal ball to look into the future and maybe my comments are based more upon wishful thinking but I know there are a solid group of girls who will become freshman next year for BS. Young ladies who are all playing at upper competitive levels and who I believe have the ability to make a very positive impact. Will they win state? Who knows, probably not but I do believe if this group sticks with it you will see a much stronger, competitive team who has the potential to give you a good run for your money. As far as "just enjoy the playing for playing's sake" I believe those words should apply to all teams regardless of their talent or record after all if the players don't enjoy playing and the parents don't enjoy watching their daughters play then why are we we doing this.

Edited by #1soccerdad (03/01/12 11:46 AM)

#84957 - 03/01/12 02:58 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: bleddry]
#1soccerdad Offline

Originally Posted By: bleddry

She knew what building all the muscle up would make her look like and guess what, maybe she is a little proud of the fact that she has a six pack.

My daughter is proud of her six pack as well and she should be. I agree, this sounds a bit absurd. I have seen grown women at the games wearing outfits much more revealing or inappropriate than a sports bra ever could be. Like someone else said, if you are offended by them changing jersey's on the sideline and seeing them in their sports bra then don't watch/look.

#84958 - 03/01/12 07:44 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

Before you get to state, you'll have to go though Derby!

Brackets are posted at http://www.wichitacityleague.org/g5-bin/...mp;view_id=3735

Go Shox's!

Toddman

Derby will be lucky to be .500. smile

#84959 - 03/01/12 07:49 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

TODDMAN

Pele is delusional! He has no clue of what he's talking about!! He's just overly excited the Shocker's are ranked #15 in the Nation now and is hoping for a match up with the Hawks at the Big Dance...so don't take too much stock in what he has to say.

JJ

Did Maize win a game at state last year vs. KC teams? Has Maize ever beat a KC team?
I hope Maize does well especially that Freshman speedster Q, however until they beat a KC team their claim to fame is the best team outside of KC.

Shockers will make it to Sweeet 16. Stutz could not handle Mr. Robinson from KU and that would be the difference. Shockers perimeter players match up well with KU but they would have no answer for Robinson

Edited by pelecosmos1 (03/01/12 07:53 PM)

#84968 - 03/02/12 12:45 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: pelecosmos1]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: pelecosmos1

Derby will be lucky to be .500. smile

Ye of little faith. Didn't I see you in a van down by the river!

#84971 - 03/03/12 12:09 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
Wardrive Offline

I am not sure where Blue Springs is going next year, but I can say that "Blue Springs South" has a very solid core group of freshmen girls next session (6-8 that I know of) which are all playing well on very competitive teams. They are chomping at the bit to get on that squad. Coach Finley is going to inherit a strong Freshmen class, will be fun to see what he can do with them.

#84972 - 03/03/12 04:56 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

TODDMAN

The brackets are out I have them posted http://www.sportz.toddman.org/2011-2012/451-2012-girls-titan-classic

#84973 - 03/03/12 05:26 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Wardrive]
skiddie Offline
addict

Wardrive, when you say "next season" do you mean the one that starts in two weeks or the actual "next year season" of spring 2013 who are currently 8th graders?

#84974 - 03/04/12 01:10 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
Anon.E.Mouse Offline
journeyman

haven't been on in a while and just read the thread regarding the "top" issue... only in the USA would this be an issue... in any other country it would be a "who cares"...

#84975 - 03/04/12 01:06 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: fanof2]
brazilfan Offline
veteran

Loc: Citizen of the World
Originally Posted By: fanof2

I have no beef with the girls switching out a shirt. I also don't think it is right that there is a double standard with the boys and girls. A sports bra isn't a shirt.

About your statements:

Yes, but there is a different set of standards for boys and girls.

A sports bra is not a shirt, true. It is exactly what it says, a bra. And showing your bra in public (or taking off your blouse/shirt and showing your bra) is considered inappropriate, for lack of a better word.
A man taking off their shirt in public and baring all is also considered inappropriate. Might be acceptable at the beach but not in a shopping mall.

It is an interesting situation, however, what is considered appropriate at a soccer field.

"I do go to football sometimes but I don't know the offside rule or free-kicks - or side kicks - or whatever they're called."

Victoria Beckham

#84977 - 03/04/12 03:49 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: brazilfan]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

I drove by the high school the other afternoon. The track team was running by the school. Most boys were not wearing shirts, several girls only in sports bras. It is kinda the norm in alot of ways.

#84978 - 03/04/12 04:08 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
Wardrive Offline

Well...I guess while we are on the subject...a sports bra is one thing, have you ever been to a HS girls volleyball game?? There is no reason to have those girls out there in those spandex (?) shorts. I have serious reservations about letting my girl try out for the VB team because of this issue...of course she see's it differently.

#84980 - 03/04/12 08:38 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Wardrive]
Skeech Offline
old hand

Loc: Where Seldom Is Heard...A Disc...
Ya'll I felt the same way about the sports bra thing when the girls were in 9th grade, kind of like wow... It is like everything else in sports and parenting.. Not only do the kids grow up, but so do we with understanding of giving our little kids the wings to become adults - part of the process!!

It's not a big deal, don't make it one. The girls the first year kind of think it is cool, but oddly enough - these kids are PLAYERS and ATHLETES and by SOPH/JR/SR Year - there is nothing else on their mind when they are changing shirts other than - Time To Kick Some A...

You either have a competitor or you don't - If you don't like it, don't have em play. But Please Don't Make Girls Go to The locker room after in their warm up shirts to change to their game shirts - shoot - that without doubt would be a double standard in terms of what THE ATHLETES ARE THINKING!!

They aren't sissies - they are competitors getting ready for play! It is a part of what they do on the field - I'm sure you get that. Minutia - don't sweat it.

#84988 - 03/05/12 10:15 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Skeech]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Thanks TODDMAN for the Titan Brackets.
Looks like you guy's have a tough one start'in off with Heights. I think in 6A they'll be pretty good.
The season is getting closer. Maize opens up with Andover on March 15th at Andover. Just 9 more days...here we go!

#85008 - 03/06/12 09:39 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

KANSAS COACHES 2012 PRESEASON RANKINGS

ALL CLASSES
1-Shawnee Mission East
2-Shawnee Mission West
3-St. Thomas Aquinas
4-Blue Valley Northwest
5-Maize
6-Olathe East
7-Blue Valley Southwest
8-Blue Valley West
9-Bishop Carroll
10-Kapaun Mt. Carmel

--6A--
1-SM East
2-SM West
3-BV NW
4-Maize
5-OE

--5A--
1-STA
2-BV SW
3-BC
4-KMC
5-BV

--4A-1A--
1-Topeka Hayden
2-St. James Academy
3-Rose Hill
4-Wichita Trinity
5-KC Christian

#85010 - 03/06/12 10:42 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Yep JJ we open aginst Goddard on the 15th. Like they say, if you want to be the best you have to play the best. We'll do just fine in the Titan Classic!

Here's the link to the pre-season ranking by KHSS http://www.kansashighschoolsoccer.com/State-Rankings-For-Girls.html it appears they left Derby out. We'll play the under dog role smile

#85011 - 03/06/12 10:48 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

I would have put Lawrence Free State in there somewhere, but I don't see Hardin Thomas on the roster and there are a couple of other strong players I don't see listed. Could be because they were playing basketball still in the case of those two. Maybe Thomas is just running track this year. Anyway without those 3 FSHS won't be as tough as I thought. They will still be good though.

#85012 - 03/06/12 11:14 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Preseason rankings for the most part are based off of last seasons results. I must say though, alittle surprised SM East got the #1 Overall ranking. Maybe those coaches know more than I give them credit for. Again, preseason rankings don't mean a thing. Got to go out and play the game. We'll know alittle more after about 3 games into the season.
Good-luck to all...getting closer!

#85030 - 03/09/12 11:05 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Oh Yeah...next week, GAME TIME!

#85043 - 03/11/12 01:13 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

KANSAS COACHES 2012 PRESEASON RANKINGS

ALL CLASSES
1-Shawnee Mission East
2-Shawnee Mission West
3-St. Thomas Aquinas
4-Blue Valley Northwest
5-Maize
6-Olathe East
7-Blue Valley Southwest
8-Blue Valley West
9-Bishop Carroll
10-Kapaun Mt. Carmel

--6A--
1-SM East
2-SM West
3-BV NW
4-Maize
5-OE

--5A--
1-STA
2-BV SW
3-BC
4-KMC
5-BV

--4A-1A--
1-Topeka Hayden
2-St. James Academy
3-Rose Hill
4-Wichita Trinity
5-KC Christian

Hey JJ

4 of the top 5 teams in 6A come from KC area. No smack talking on how good Maize is until they beat KC school smile
Maize has no competition in Western half of state. We shall see what happens

Edited by pelecosmos1 (03/11/12 01:15 PM)

#85044 - 03/11/12 07:36 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Preseason rankings for the most part are based off of last seasons results. I must say though, alittle surprised SM East got the #1 Overall ranking. Maybe those coaches know more than I give them credit for. Again, preseason rankings don't mean a thing. Got to go out and play the game. We'll know alittle more after about 3 games into the season.
Good-luck to all...getting closer!

We went thru this with the boy's this year & look who won NW, here's where they were ranked http://sportz.toddman.org/2011-2012/402-boys-state-preseason-rankings We don't have to play KC school's, but it would be cool. Sadly tho, budget cuts control who & where teams play now.

On a different note, I've been watching the club topic's & was thinking that it didn't pertain to us. Well you know what happens when you do that, it bites you in the butt! found out that 2 of our star players are going to play club ball instead. This showed during our green/white scrimmage this year. Its a good thing for some freshmen, they get more playing time. Sadly tho it affects the rest of the team & it makes you wounder where there alliance is, what kind of msg are we sending to our kids. that the grass is greener over here & greed comes before loyalty, or is it the "I" generation effect.

#85058 - 03/13/12 01:47 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Two more days!

#85079 - 03/15/12 02:53 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Two more days!

Itssssssssssssssss TIME. live from ----------?

Good luck everyone!

And would someone please put a wup a$$ on jj. He's going down, not the Maize ladies smile

#85094 - 03/16/12 10:32 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

And would someone please put a wup a$$ on jj. He's going down, not the Maize ladies smile

Dang...this is gett'in personal! Is it something I said? confused

#85096 - 03/16/12 11:17 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Naw, jus' messing with you! Seeing how you've been posting here & on VK about Mazie. So did yaw win? We beat Goddard 1-0. Derby look pretty good considering all the freshmen on the team smile

Good luck JJ!

#85126 - 03/20/12 12:07 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Naw, jus' messing with you! Seeing how you've been posting here & on VK about Mazie. So did yaw win? We beat Goddard 1-0. Derby look pretty good considering all the freshmen on the team smile

Good luck JJ!

I knew you still loved me! So...did Goddard have much? Should be some good games coming up next week at the Titan. We get Emporia first. Not sure what they have this year and not sure how they ended up last season. You should have a tough one right off the bat with Heights. They'll be a contender in the City League.
Good-luck to you too!

#85258 - 03/28/12 06:01 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

In the Free State vs Shawnee Heights game Deiker from the KCFC U16 ECNL team scored 4 goals. Pretty good for a sophmore. LHS plays Shawnee Mission East on Thursday. That game will go along way to seeing how this season will go. If they get blown out it could be a long season. I don't think they have any chance of winning but keeping it close would be great.

#85305 - 03/30/12 10:51 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
zekesoccer Offline
stranger

Deiker is a good player, however what is gained by allowing someone to score 4 goals against an inferior opponent in a blow out?

#85310 - 03/30/12 11:36 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: zekesoccer]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Last year a player for Olathe East scored 6 against LHS I think. She was subbed out alot. She was just that much better than the LHS players. Not much anyone could do about it other than not let her play at all. I think its the girl who plays for memphis now. She was a stud.

#85339 - 04/02/12 10:07 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Skiddie, I'll let you know if Andover Central is any good or not after Maize plays them this coming Thursday.

#85377 - 04/06/12 08:34 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Skiddie, I'll let you know if Andover Central is any good or not after Maize plays them this coming Thursday.

Well skiddie, Maize played Andover Central last night. Not to take anything away from Central, but they were just out-manned. Not much of a game. Maize won 7-1. Central scored their lone goal when lots of subbing going on for Maize in the last 5 min. of the game.

#85463 - 04/15/12 05:40 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Does the athletic director make the schedules for high school teams or does the coach? I am assuming the athletic director.

#85470 - 04/16/12 10:18 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

The coaches have some input, but the athletic director's usually put the schedules together. The end of my son's junior year, his coach ask the team if they wanted to add some tougher teams to the schedule and BVW was added to their regular season schedule for his senior year.

#85511 - 04/17/12 10:56 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Yep jj, Maize is a tough team.
Ando.Central just does not have as deep a bench as other teams around but that's the luck of the draw sometimes.

OE is tough I know--they had a number of gals on the all-state team last year so they have a bench very deep in talent (although they did graduate some talent last yr) they are still very strong.

#85518 - 04/18/12 12:00 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

skiddie, OE is always good. I'm sure they'll be in the Final Four. I'm hoping Maize will be there too!

#85758 - 04/30/12 09:24 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Hey TTown and ofd...how good is Free State in the Central Region? Will they give TWR and Manhattan fits come Regional time and make things interesting in Quarter Finals?

#85759 - 04/30/12 09:29 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

This weekend will be interesting for St. Thomas Aquinas coming to Wichita to play Kapaun Mt. Carmel first and then Bishop Carroll. Will see how good Carroll really is being ranked #1 in 5A right now.

#85764 - 04/30/12 10:31 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TTown34 Offline
journeyman

JJ:

Free State is really good. Easily their best team ever. I've seen them once in person and was very impressed. I've also seen Rural a bunch and they are very good.

I think Rural will end up getting the #1 seed and force Manhattan and Free State into battling it out in the 2nd round as the 2 and 3 seeds. Free State would be the favorite in that one no matter where it is played. If Free State wins their regional, Rural will go west and likely end up in the Final 4. Except for Maize, I doubt anyone out west is as good as Rural. And if Manhattan comes west, they will likely go to the Final 4 as well.

Free State plays Olathe East tomorrow and that should tell us a bunch. Manhattan plays Wichita NW tomorrow and Rural plays WNW on Thursday so that should give you a better reading on both of those teams.

#85766 - 04/30/12 11:23 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TTown34]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Saw where Manhattan beat Wichita Heights this past Friday 3-0. It will be interesting to see how Wichita Northwest fairs against Manhattan and TWR. Regionals coming up fast. That whole situation with the Central Region with TWR, Manhattan and Free State will be interesting. Curious to know which of those teams will drop down into the South Central for quarterfinals. Keep me updated.

#85770 - 04/30/12 11:37 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TTown34 Offline
journeyman

I think it will be either Rural or Manhattan. The rest of the region is weak and there really is no way Free State gets sent to the South Central. Junction City has a good record of 9-2-1 but hasn't played Rural or Manhattan yet and probably isn't good enough to defeat any of those 3.

Edited by TTown34 (04/30/12 11:38 AM)

#85772 - 04/30/12 12:44 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TTown34]
footy Offline
stranger

TTown have you seen manhattan play yet? What have you heard about them?

#85905 - 05/03/12 10:57 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: footy]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: footy
TTown have you seen manhattan play yet? What have you heard about them?

Manhattan beat Wichita Northwest the other night 4-3. Very windy...a couple of the goals wind aided for Manhattan and a questionable offsides goal which resulted in a PK for the Indians. They had some pace up top and were pretty physical.
Wichita Northwest is at Washburn Rural tonight. Will be interesting for the Grizzlies, since losing back to back games against Manhattan and Maize. We'll see if they can stop the streak.
Regional play just a week and ahalf away. Should be interesting, especially in Quarterfinal action.

#86148 - 05/12/12 08:38 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Regional matchups should be posted sometime today in all classes.
Already know the 6A South Central Region...interested to see the others. Good-luck to everyone!

#86149 - 05/12/12 03:10 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

#86159 - 05/14/12 10:47 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

JJ,

I hear the field in Manhatten is really bad and the refs are worse. Any truth to that? Or is it just Lawrence vs. Manhatten crap?

#86160 - 05/14/12 11:58 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Haven't seen or played on those fields in Manhattan for years. If I remember right...kind of a picturesque kind of complex that sits in a valley tree-lined area. Sounds like it might be a Cats vs Hawks kind of pre-game war of words. Gotta love it!

As far as the refs go...don't know that either. They can't be any worse than the ones I've seen so far this season.

Good-luck!

#86184 - 05/15/12 10:53 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Saw where Washburn Rural demolished Topeka last night 10-0 in the Central Region. Didn't realize that Junction City had actually gotten the 3rd seed and Free State the #4. Looks like Manhattan with the #2 seed will actually drop down into the South Central Region for Quarter-Finals and #1 Washburn Rural will go to the Northeast.

#86189 - 05/15/12 12:54 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
Anon.E.Mouse Offline
journeyman

As far as the refs go...don't know that either. They can't be any worse than the ones I've seen so far this season.

Good-luck!

in what locations?

#86191 - 05/15/12 01:29 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Anon.E.Mouse]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

I was going to post something about OE winning 10-0 and Washburn winning 10-0. Maybe the top ranked teams in each region should just get a bye. Then I saw that Junction City 11-4-1 only beat Leavenworth 5-11-0 by a 2-1 score. Maybe their is hope for the sub .500 teams afterall.

#86197 - 05/15/12 03:03 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
Zebra Offline
journeyman

St James (4A) is 4-11-1 and will go to Elite 8 at least.

#86208 - 05/15/12 11:19 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Zebra]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Well I went to Manhattan. LHS lost 3-1. It was 2~1 with about 18 minutes left in the game. LHS played them fairly evenly in the first half. Second half Manhatten controled things. Keep in mind this was a 3-13 team against a 14-1-1 team. Manhattan would have a losing record if they played in the Sunflower League.

THe field was not good. Why would you aireate during the season.(I can't spell it) you know where you roll spikes around the field and pull up little dog poop like chunks. Between that and the high grass it was hard for LHS to pass.

#86211 - 05/16/12 08:23 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
jjflash Offline
old hand

I was going to post something about OE winning 10-0 and Washburn winning 10-0. Maybe the top ranked teams in each region should just get a bye. Then I saw that Junction City 11-4-1 only beat Leavenworth 5-11-0 by a 2-1 score. Maybe their is hope for the sub .500 teams afterall.

Yeah ofd...I'm beginning to think maybe something like byes for the top 2 seeds and let the others battle it out first to weed through some of that. Maize beat Wichita South last night 10-0 with over 30 min. left in the 2nd half. Probably should have been 10-0 within the first 20 min. of the game. Wanted to go back to the gate and ask for a refund.

#86225 - 05/16/12 11:26 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Here are the scores for the 1 and 2 seeds,

Olathe East 10-0
BVW 10-0
Washburn Rural 10-0
Maize 10-0
Hutchinson 7-0
Manhattan 3-1

Should they get a bye in the future?

Edited by oldfatdude (05/16/12 11:27 AM)

#86227 - 05/16/12 12:03 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: oldfatdude]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Byes are merely done to accommodate uneven district brackets. If you make all 6 team districts, that works, but the number of teams, and geographic practicality don't always offer that option.

#86627 - 05/29/12 06:06 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Keep It Fun]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Congrats to all the girls that made the all Metro team:
http://www.varsitykansas.com/2012/05/29/35266/all-metro-soccer.html

#86675 - 05/30/12 04:07 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Congrats to all the girls that made all-league! Posted on VK.
http://blogs.varsitykansas.com/blog/2012/05/30/2012-all-league-girls-soccer/

#86706 - 05/31/12 01:54 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Congrats to all the girls that made all-Region! Posted on VK.
http://blogs.varsitykansas.com/blog/2012/05/31/2012-all-region-soccer-teams/

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura