Who's Online
2 registered (jw7, aberdeen), 20 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5088
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 11 of 16 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 15 16 >
Topic Options
#84923 - 02/28/12 11:20 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: pelecosmos1]
jjflash Offline
old hand

TODDMAN

Pele is delusional! He has no clue of what he's talking about!! He's just overly excited the Shocker's are ranked #15 in the Nation now and is hoping for a match up with the Hawks at the Big Dance...so don't take too much stock in what he has to say.

Any news on Titan Classic Brackets?

#84928 - 02/28/12 04:58 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Loc: Derby
Before you get to state, you'll have to go though Derby!

Brackets are posted at http://www.wichitacityleague.org/g5-bin/...mp;view_id=3735

Go Shox's!

#84944 - 02/29/12 08:25 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: bleddry]
fanof2 Offline

Originally Posted By: bleddry
Yeah I try and teach my daughter all the time that what is going to make her respectable is not showing her stomach to anyone..by the way anyone got any floor length dresses I can give her to wear to school, I think she is tired of the ones she has. This discussion just seems stupid to me as a parent. I look at my daughter as an athlete. Always has been , always will be. She is proud of the way she looks and I have raised her to be proud of the way she looks, big thighs and all.(Anyone who has ever heard the scream "Ugh...so tight in the thighs, so loose in the waist", will know what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiyPJnsoe9c ) She knew what building all the muscle up would make her look like and guess what, maybe she is a little proud of the fact that she has a six pack.

I think here that the person that might be offended by seeing my daughter, in her sports bra, changing her shirt on the sidelines before a game, might need to ask themselves, "Why is that offensive to me?" I mean are we still living in a day and age where we are asking our daughters to be ashamed of what they look like? Especially at an age where they may feel awkward about their body's in the first place.Yeah I guess the right thing to do is make them even more self conscious about how they look by telling them it is against the rules to change their shirts on the sidelines because some one may get offended. I mean really , who is going to get offended by looking at the back of some kids sports bra when they change. Is it all the muscles they are offended by?

Modesty? Lets examine that. Modesty is defined as -
1. The state or quality of being modest.
2. Reserve or propriety in speech, dress, or behavior.
3. Lack of pretentiousness; simplicity.

So what is modest?

1. Having or showing a moderate estimation of one's own talents, abilities, and value. - Ok I don't think my daughter switching shirts is a showing of her talents, abilities, or value.
2. Having or proceeding from a disinclination to call attention to oneself; retiring or diffident. - Once again switching shirts is not an act to call attention to herself, she is simply getting ready to play a game.
3. Observing conventional proprieties in speech, behavior, or dress. - Ok this might apply, but as has been pointed out, this is done by most of the players on the team any way so the act itself would fall inline with what is considered by her peers as conventional dress for the occasion.
4. Free from showiness or ostentation; unpretentious - Once again is someone really trying to argue that by switching shirts she is trying to bring attention to herself?

Bottom line - stupid rule created to protect people living in the 1950's. She's not just a girl, she is an athlete, stop treating her like just a girl and start treating her like an athlete. So what she has a sports bra on ..who cares, guess what she has b***s, who cares. Do you think she does not know that people will see her sports bra when she takes off her shirt. Why should we make them feel like they should be embarrassed or ashamed of what the look like in a sports bra anyways. Does this not harm their self image in some way by making them believe that they should be ashamed or embarrassed. Heck I have worked very hard a parent to do just the opposite with her as she has grown up and reminded her that she has an athletes body and should be proud of it. I am more interested in if she can dribble around the defender she is squaring up against, I don't much care if she is going to show somebody her sports bra or not for 50 seconds while she changes shirts. I mean honestly the swimsuits she wears are 100 times more revealing then any sports bra she ever chooses to put on. Its time for us as a group to grow up and move forward.

I have no beef with the girls switching out a shirt. I also don't think it is right that there is a double standard with the boys and girls. A sports bra isn't a shirt. These athletes should be proud of their bodies and the work they have put into them. If we don't tell kids what is appropriate and when it is appropriate they show up to their first job looking like they are headed to the club. Believe me, that happens everyday.

#84949 - 03/01/12 11:43 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
#1soccerdad Offline

Originally Posted By: skiddie
Ok JJ, two weeks from today tryouts begin on both sides of the state line for girls h.s. soccer....keep a look-out for the pre-season coaches poll they do before games begin (last yr Olathe East was ranked 4th in that preseason poll for example). Yep I still say OE is gonna be strong.

btw, #1soccerdad mentioned Blue Spgs over there on the MO side: I can't see them being a factor anytime soon, especially since they aren't even expecting enough girls to try out so they've already cancelled the C teams this year in that district. Most other districts in the suburbs (both sides of state line especially on the KS side) have nearly 100 girls at tryouts and many cuts are made. Also, with the 6-17 record at Blue Spgs South last year, and a dismal 3-14 at Blue Spgs (north) last year, I think it will take quite a miraculous tryout for things to look competitive at either of their 2 high schools anytime soon = not likely, so just enjoy the playing for playing's sake.
I wonder what other districts are cutting the C teams? maybe its due to budget cuts also.

When I mentioned this it was not directed at this years performance but rather something that could begin changing next year. I don't own a crystal ball to look into the future and maybe my comments are based more upon wishful thinking but I know there are a solid group of girls who will become freshman next year for BS. Young ladies who are all playing at upper competitive levels and who I believe have the ability to make a very positive impact. Will they win state? Who knows, probably not but I do believe if this group sticks with it you will see a much stronger, competitive team who has the potential to give you a good run for your money. As far as "just enjoy the playing for playing's sake" I believe those words should apply to all teams regardless of their talent or record after all if the players don't enjoy playing and the parents don't enjoy watching their daughters play then why are we we doing this.

Edited by #1soccerdad (03/01/12 11:46 AM)

#84957 - 03/01/12 02:58 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: bleddry]
#1soccerdad Offline

Originally Posted By: bleddry

She knew what building all the muscle up would make her look like and guess what, maybe she is a little proud of the fact that she has a six pack.

My daughter is proud of her six pack as well and she should be. I agree, this sounds a bit absurd. I have seen grown women at the games wearing outfits much more revealing or inappropriate than a sports bra ever could be. Like someone else said, if you are offended by them changing jersey's on the sideline and seeing them in their sports bra then don't watch/look.

#84958 - 03/01/12 07:44 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: TODDMAN
Before you get to state, you'll have to go though Derby!

Brackets are posted at http://www.wichitacityleague.org/g5-bin/...mp;view_id=3735

Go Shox's!

Toddman

Derby will be lucky to be .500. smile

#84959 - 03/01/12 07:49 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: jjflash
TODDMAN

Pele is delusional! He has no clue of what he's talking about!! He's just overly excited the Shocker's are ranked #15 in the Nation now and is hoping for a match up with the Hawks at the Big Dance...so don't take too much stock in what he has to say.

JJ

Did Maize win a game at state last year vs. KC teams? Has Maize ever beat a KC team?
I hope Maize does well especially that Freshman speedster Q, however until they beat a KC team their claim to fame is the best team outside of KC.

Shockers will make it to Sweeet 16. Stutz could not handle Mr. Robinson from KU and that would be the difference. Shockers perimeter players match up well with KU but they would have no answer for Robinson

Edited by pelecosmos1 (03/01/12 07:53 PM)

#84968 - 03/02/12 12:45 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: pelecosmos1]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: pelecosmos1

Derby will be lucky to be .500. smile

Ye of little faith. Didn't I see you in a van down by the river!

#84971 - 03/03/12 12:09 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
Wardrive Offline

I am not sure where Blue Springs is going next year, but I can say that "Blue Springs South" has a very solid core group of freshmen girls next session (6-8 that I know of) which are all playing well on very competitive teams. They are chomping at the bit to get on that squad. Coach Finley is going to inherit a strong Freshmen class, will be fun to see what he can do with them.

#84972 - 03/03/12 04:56 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: jjflash
TODDMAN

The brackets are out I have them posted http://www.sportz.toddman.org/2011-2012/451-2012-girls-titan-classic

Page 11 of 16 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 15 16 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura