Who's Online
3 registered (pelecosmos1, pctrips, forza italia), 27 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5092
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2450
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#83299 - 11/13/11 04:40 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: ozsoccer]
skiddie Offline
addict

Oz, the word on the street is that Piper (4A KS) is supposed to not be as good this year...and that Rose Hill is the one to watch, but I'm only repeating what I've heard others say and I do not know what the team looks like for this year...dear fans of Piper, I am hoping for your best wishes and I am only repeating the discussions I've heard and have nothing against your team.

As far as 5A, I think that BVSW is going to have a clear path to the finals, not only because they will have pretty much an intact superb team from last spring, but because they are getting some really GREAT talent this spring in the freshman class on top of the talent they have already.

I still say in KS 6A, Olathe East is the dark horse to watch, although they will have stiff competition against Shawnee Mission East....but we don't know until tryouts are over! LOL

#83381 - 11/16/11 09:05 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

In 4A, from the Wichita area, Rose Hill possibly and maybe Trinity could contend.

5A, I'd have to say Kapaun could be pretty good this year with a large group of underclassmen leading the way. Can't count out the other catholic school in Wichita with Bishop Carroll. They too will have a large underclassmen group leading the way and have one of the top keeper's in the State returning for her Senior year.

In 6A skiddie, you know it's coming...Maize would have to be my Dark horse. They have a great mixture of upperclassmen and underclassmen on both sides of the ball returning. Plenty of offensive weapons. The defensive will be the interesting part. Young overall, but very athletic and introducing a keeper that should do very well between the pipes.

#83389 - 11/16/11 11:37 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ha I was sure Maize would be brought up--they are good, but I understand that they graduated most of their strongest players last spring. I also was under the impression that their very good keeper was a senior last year. That's what the people I talked with said, but maybe they were wrong?

SME had four girls chosen for all-state, including a forward and three are returning underclassmen for this coming spring. I know of a strong freshman class coming up there too along with Olathe East, so they are still my top two picks based on what I know.

#83398 - 11/16/11 04:16 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
PeleCosmos Offline
enthusiast

JJ: Come on man. Maize got beat 6 0 at State by KC team last year.

Focus.

Heard they have incoming Freshman with wheels like her older brother.

Edited by PeleCosmos (11/16/11 04:38 PM)

#83421 - 11/17/11 12:20 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: PeleCosmos]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Skiddie...Maize lost only Lyden offensively, a mid who is a freshman currently playing for KU. She wasn't even their top scorer last season. Sometimes last season, I think the other girls looked to her too much to do something in games and it hurt them. This season they have many talented offensive weapons returning. They should be able to put a lot of points on the board and distribute the ball well between them. Defensively, I can only think of one that graduated who would affect them significantly due to her speed and that was Wertz, a 1st team All-State defender. As far as their keeper last year...very nice girl and maybe a vocal leader on the field, but not a very athletic goalie. What they will return defensively this season along with a keeper that moves well vertically and laterally, with good foot-skills, will be night and day in comparison to last years keeper and last years defensive unit.
Like I said, Maize has a very good mixture of upper and underclassmen. A very athletic and talented bunch that should do well come State time. Very excited to see how this team comes together this upcoming season.

#83429 - 11/17/11 08:08 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: jjflash]
skiddie Offline
addict

Ok jj, now I'm really curious and I'll have to watch Maize more closely this upcoming season b/c the folks I was talking with were sure they graduated some of the best talent--like I said, that's what they said so maybe they were mistaken. They were so sure, though that now I really want to see them play if what you say is true.

It will be a fun season...I'm sure Maize will be a contender though. I am looking forward most to watching for OE, SME, and BVSW to see what happens there.

#83436 - 11/18/11 10:47 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
If you're interested in seeing some of the top local HS senior girls,

Tonight, Friday, 9:30 PM, Overland Park #1
U18G Premier Midwest Regional League match
KC United Metros vs Toro Bravo

Both teams are also in the US Youth Soccer National League. Nearly all the players on both teams are college committed.
This is a full 90 minute match with limited substitution, (1 entry per half)
This is the final game of the MRL season for these teams. Toro Bravo is hoping to add three points to their 16 to tie them for the top spot with Chicago Fire Jrs. The Metros stuggled early this season restructuring their defense, but salvaged their season with wins over the two St.Louis teams boosting them to the middle of the table with 10 points.
Last year's match between these teams played in Lincoln at U of N saw the Metros surrender a 1-0 lead with 2 late goals. Having conceded the equalizer with 5 minutes left, the Metros were pressuring the Toro goal to regain the lead. Then in the final minute of regular time with the Metro's midfield pushed forward, a quick punt down the middle by the keeper was allowed to bounce behind them, and was then flicked by a leaping header over the defense to a streaking striker for a breakaway that was adeptly finished.

The Metros consist of mostly local players that will play prominent roles with their HS teams this spring on both sides of the state line. There are also several former Toro Bravo players on the roster.

Toro Bravo has been the top team in Nebraska for several years running, and won a regional championship at U14. They are coached my Marcus Kelcher who has local ties to KC having coached at Ohara HS and with KC Bayern Munich before taking over as DOC for Toro SC.

US Youth Soccer National League begins play in Atlanta during the NCAA women's final four. These two teams will not meet in NL play as they are in different pools.

#83439 - 11/18/11 11:19 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: Keep It Fun]
TODDMAN Offline
journeyman

Loc: Derby
Just for you JJ. We will be using the 8-1-1 to start then go into a 10-0 formation, where all but 1 or 2 players don't follow the ball. The AYSO formula, more commonly known as bunch ball.

The truth is, we will kick butt & win AVCTL D1! At least that's what I asked Santa for smile

See ya on the pitch!

#83440 - 11/18/11 11:56 AM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: skiddie]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: skiddie
Ok jj, now I'm really curious and I'll have to watch Maize more closely this upcoming season b/c the folks I was talking with were sure they graduated some of the best talent--like I said, that's what they said so maybe they were mistaken. They were so sure, though that now I really want to see them play if what you say is true.

It will be a fun season...I'm sure Maize will be a contender though. I am looking forward most to watching for OE, SME, and BVSW to see what happens there.

Well...I kinda...sorta have an inside track to this information about Maize ;-). Maybe I should say...oh yeah, I forgot...Maize did lose all their talent to graduation. My mouth gets me into bunches and bunches of trouble sometimes. I probably should listen to TAF and Pele and "fly under the radar" so to speak. Oh well...just can't help myself!
Should be a fun year!!

#83441 - 11/18/11 12:03 PM Re: 2012 Kansas High School Girl's Soccer Season [Re: TODDMAN]
jjflash Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: TODDMAN
Just for you JJ. We will be using the 8-1-1 to start then go into a 10-0 formation, where all but 1 or 2 players don't follow the ball. The AYSO formula, more commonly known as bunch ball.

The truth is, we will kick butt & win AVCTL D1! At least that's what I asked Santa for smile

See ya on the pitch!

What you ask for and what you get, don't always happen! Being kind of greedy, like those NBA player's and owner's are we? You already have 3 t-shirts...what more do you want?! I like the formation though...winning by committee!

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura