Who's Online
2 registered (robbeno, oldfatdude), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5062
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2443
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#84663 - 02/13/12 01:04 PM Re: Comets [Re: TheWorldsGame]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
The Wizards moved their offices to Leawood not long after the ownership change, so operating on both sides of the state line is nothing new. I'm glad they still are maintaining the practice facility in Swope Park.
As forum pundits well know, I'm pretty unhappy about the stadium getting built at the Legends, even more so after driving down Hillcrest Rd. between Bannister, and 87th street yesterday. Too bad they can't just tear it all out, and turn it back over to Benjamin Stables for riding trails like it used to be. Now the fire station sitting there all alone looks kind of ridiculous. If any of the ramaining buildings catch fire, they should just let them burn.
What a missed opportunity though. If the complex that included youth fields was to be abandoned, then putting stadium somewhere in downtown KCK would have made it a true jewel of the community.
Can you imagine it all lit up on the bluff overlooking the joining of the rivers?
Well it's not the first time the KC area blew it, and it probably won't be the last.

#84671 - 02/13/12 05:38 PM Re: Comets [Re: ]
oldfatdude Online   content
old hand

Loc: Kansas
H8, maybe there was some zoning issue. Aren't all Missouri Cities exclusively zoned for fire work stands and walnut bowl vendors? Just kidding. smile

#84673 - 02/13/12 06:59 PM Re: Comets [Re: CoachPlayRefNLS]
Kaka Offline
Pooh-Bah

Comets beating Milwaukee 17-14 was a very big win. Milwaukee is flat out good. They have almost as many skill players as Comets. They matchup well.

Biggest difference to me the last 3 or 4 games, the defense with Gibson, Junge, Harris. and Stokic has been so solid. Vahid is now pushing up on the attack and going at the defense. He used to be so worried about maintaining possession that he did not get dangerous. Now he is losing the ball a little more, but he is scoring 2 or 3 goals a game. Vahid is probably the best pure finisher on that team.

Waltman had a big night as well. Then you throw Geison and Tuiginho in the mix and you have some real attacking depth. Comets have alot of different people scoring.

#84677 - 02/13/12 10:50 PM Re: Comets [Re: Kaka]
CoachPlayRefNLS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Summit of Lee
Combine the top 2 scorers in the league (Geison,Alvarez) with good defenders and a great keeper and you have a recipe for success. Leo is solid, Harris is really starting to grow as a player. If you have not seen this team in person, you need to give it a shot. They play high pressure from the front and its fun to watch.

#84691 - 02/14/12 04:00 PM Re: Comets [Re: CoachPlayRefNLS]
TheWorldsGame Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By: CoachPlayRefNLS
Gimme a break. They PRACTICE in MO (Soccer Dome) and PLAY in MO (IEC). Very doubtful anyone goes to game hoping to catch a glimpse of KS based front office staff doing their thing(not a knock against the front office, they do a great job).

This is the most poignant and forward looking post on this thread. Unlike that H8ful diatribe; blasting the Comets over their geographic name selection. Small thinkers always have the biggest complaints. H8'ers gonna H8 no matter what, I suppose.

Looking forward to the next three home games. Comets get to smack Rochester around just in time to punch Milwaukee's card twice on the 24th and 26th.

Just renewed my FOUR season tickets this afternoon. Call Brian Roth at 855-588-7362 to get tics for the remaining games or the 2012-13 season. Hot winter nights.

#84693 - 02/14/12 04:26 PM Re: Comets [Re: TheWorldsGame]
CoachPlayRefNLS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Summit of Lee
1st Round Playoff dates confirmed!
The Comets are back in the MISL Playoffs after sweeping a pair of games last weekend! Game 1 of the MISL Semifinals is scheduled for Friday, March 9 at 7:35pm against Central Division rival Milwaukee at the Independence Events Center. The Comets and Wave will play Game 2 March 11 in Milwaukee followed by a 15-minute mini-game in the event each team wins one game.

#84697 - 02/14/12 08:57 PM Re: Comets [Re: CoachPlayRefNLS]
Kaka Offline
Pooh-Bah

I almost hate to hype the playoffs too much. If they get a capacity crowd then my kids will have to sit in their assigned seats. Which is next to me.

Comets players would like a sellout. Although we get pretty loud with 3,000 people there.

#84703 - 02/15/12 10:58 AM Re: Comets [Re: ]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

World Game, have you considered that you might be a touch over-sensitive on this? H8s a regular poster with a history or taking both sides of an issue and being pretty even keeled. You are the one sounding self-righteous.

The whole point of the forum is a debate, to bring ideas forward. Tough to encourage that environment if someone is stomping around with iron clad boots on anyone with a differing idea.

No one here is downing the Comets, quite the opposite...but H8 had a valid question from his perspective.

Geographical location is a part of the Comets branding. They are a public entity, not a private citizen, so they should expect people to have differing opinions on the issue.

I'd like to see them called the Kansas City Comets as well...not because of the office staff, I don't care about that...but because I suspect that a large part of their fan base is west of State Line, and because I grew up going to KC Comets games so it makes an emotional connection for me.

Maybe the fan base is heavily skewed Missouri. In that case, Comets Missouri makes sense, but then don't expect me (living in KS) to feel the same sense of connection to them that I would if they were a "Kansas City" team.

That is, I am sure, part of why the The Sporting references KC rather than KS. It was a marketing decision, so they would appeal to the largest possible demographic within a bi-state area.

The Comets went another way and chose to tack Missouri on to their moniker. Some people are going to disagree with that, but no one is saying it is a major beef.

You can stomp your feet and fume about it, but that probably won't change H8s thoughts...whereas a rational argument with a factual basis...just might. No guarantees of course, H8s headstrong like all of us ;-) or we wouldn't hang out on here! LOL.

#84704 - 02/15/12 12:13 PM Re: Comets [Re: Proff]
TheWorldsGame Offline

Loc: Midwest
I do not work for the Comets - Nor do I have any official, professional affiliation with the organization. I am a season ticket holder. I belong to the booster club. I am wearing a Comets tee shirt at this very moment and it looks fabulous on me. I am thankful that they are in town so that my family can see exciting soccer action when SKC isn't playing.

I am friendly with their front office because they have offered superior customer service and support. Their energy and time put into making this venture a success is admirable. Beyond the product on the field, many of the players and staff have worked locally with kids and camps on their own time. That is refreshing to see from a professional athlete. How many other professional sports teams allow the fan base to come down onto the playing surface after a game, greet the players and gather autographs? The Missouri Comets do after every home game.

My defense of the Missouri Comets came after what I deemed to be a silly gripe about the team's name. Don't you think that if they could have been the Kansas City Comets, that they would have selected that name and drawn upon the rich history the organization had from the 80's? Ask them yourself why they picked Missouri Comets. I bet there is a sensible and valid reason. To choose to not support and attend the game because of that specific reason is petty.

It ain't Mizzou versus Kansas here people.

#84709 - 02/15/12 05:06 PM Re: Comets [Re: TheWorldsGame]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

Sigh. I never said it would keep me from attending the game or supporting the team. Relax.

All I said, is that I might not feel the same connection. I say that because people naturally do feel attached to their town/state/country. We are just built that way. Tribal.

When the team says "Missouri" it doesn't _feel_ like it belongs to me as much. This is why branding is so important - because most of branding involves your subconscious.

It doesn't mean I don't like the fact that the Comets exist and are doing great things for soccer in the area. I do. I think it is awesome. They just seem kind of far removed from me.

It is odd...because it takes about the same amount of time from my house to get to the Sporting or the Comets. But - I think of the Sporting as being closer to home. Obviously there is a bias there...I think it is because the Sporting are on the KS side, so it just _seems_ closer, regardless of reality.

LOL, that's nuts isn't it? Still - objectively, I know that is why we don't go to more Comets games. It seems like a long drive. Maybe also just because I am not familiar with Independence in general, but I know WyCo very well.

I have nothing against Missouri. Actually, I lived there for several years when the kids were little.

Now that I realize I have this inaccurate idea on the distance of travel, I'll have to take another look at hitting more Comets games. With a little more effort, I'm sure I can feel more motivated to head over there. But - the truth is...it's your posts WorldGame and not the Comets advertising, that makes me think about it. I don't know how they remedy that - but I know I am not the only Kansan feeling that way. I've heard others say the same.

Edited by Proff (02/15/12 05:10 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura