Who's Online
1 registered (Tom Mura), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#84714 - 02/15/12 09:16 PM Re: Comets [Re: Proff]
Brian Budzinski Offline
journeyman

Loc: KC Soccer Dome
I wanted to tell you all that the Comets players, Front Office and Coaching staff really appreciate all of the support this season.

Again we have the top scoring player in the league, coach Kim plays an attractive style of soccer and between the Independence Events Center, Sprint Center ownership feels as though we are putting a top flight organization that can bring home the MISL Cup this year.

I wanted to clarify the reason the team is called the Missouri Comets. The City of Independence which owns IEC, will not allow any tenant to have anything other than Missouri or Independence for the team name. We currently have a 5 year lease with IEC and our proud to be a tenant at such a beautiful arena.

I can see where the confusion comes from, when we purchased the franchise and built the organization we fully intended to operate as the Kansas City Comets.

Our hope and vision is that we are always active in the entire Kansas City Community as we have been from day one. And hope that something for which we do not and can not control does not prevent you the fan from experiencing the Comets games.

We hope to see you all on Sunday for the game vs. the Rochester Lancers it's "Day of Giving", we will present a check for $3,000 to the Ali Kemp Foundation, and fans will throw Used soccer balls on the field after the first Comets goal for Leo Gibson and Byron Alvarez's charities back in their home countries.

Take Care

#84718 - 02/16/12 08:43 AM Re: Comets [Re: ]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

I will be in Boston this weekend for the USYSA workshop - but I saw the facebook post on the Day of Giving and I LOVE the soccer ball drop smile

We do go to games, and will look forward to more in the future!

Brian - the only thing I can think is that somehow, the Comets need to remind those of us in southern JoCo that Independence is closer than they think.

For a family in OP...it's the same drive as a Sporting game, and a lesser expense.

#84719 - 02/16/12 09:12 AM Re: Comets [Re: ]
freekick Offline
addict

H8 -
Maybe Independence wants to develop/enhance their own identity? Maybe city/state pride?

Why is it Kansas Speedway, Kansas City Zoo, Kansas City Chiefs/Royals? Given your premise, we should change all these names to KS/MO Metro "name".

As for the move to Sprint ... I don't see it happening. Sporting moved to a facility sized more appropriately for their audience. Indoor soccer played in a large arena looks empty and lifeless compared to a smaller venue (not to mention the rental cost). You did add "if the fan base will support them" - that will be the reason for the move ... not because their name is "Missouri".

#84721 - 02/16/12 09:34 AM Re: Comets [Re: freekick]
CoachPlayRefNLS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Summit of Lee
IEC parking = FREE
Sprint Center parking = NOT free

IEC holds approx. 5k fans = loud/good atmosphere
Sprint Ctr = have to curtain off top level, bottom level holds approx. 8k?, atmosphere is in between the sterile Kemper and IEC

neighborhood = some will prefer the P & L bar scene, for others, the Indep restaurants are more family-friendly/greater # of options/shop near IEC
Highway access = advantage IEC, from 70/291 you can get anywhere in a decent amount of time w/o having to negotiate one way streets, etc.

City of Indep. took the risk to build a facility while others (SoJoCo) turned down the chance to have LSSP in OP.

To H8, if you know of people who are fickle enough to not attend due to the state being used in the name, then I empower you to tell them how you enjoy the game/atmosphere and turn it into a positive.

#84722 - 02/16/12 11:40 AM Re: Comets [Re: CoachPlayRefNLS]
Keeper's Dad Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Blue Springs
I would rate the Sprint Center experience of this year as more exciting than the IEC. The IEC is great for 4-5K, but with the 8K+ that was in attendance at the Sprint Center and the things they could do, the bars, the QT, the atmosphere was better as a game day experience. Also, it just appeared to be more professional. At times, the IEC appears Minor league. However, I do think you would need to believe that 7k+ would go to Sprint Center games to justify a permanent move.

#84729 - 02/16/12 08:34 PM Re: Comets [Re: Keeper's Dad]
Kaka Offline
Pooh-Bah

We liked the Sprint Center game. The audio/video was definitely a step up from IEC. But as my wife commented, at IEC you are sitting down in your seat 2 minutes after you park the car. Sprint has the parking hassles. And I don't think Comets are ready to pull 8,000 a game. They need to build the fan base a few more years.

#84742 - 02/17/12 09:57 AM Re: Comets [Re: ]
CoachPlayRefNLS Offline
enthusiast

H8,
So....because there may be no 'name recognition factor' at present for Independence, they shouldn't try to develop any? Sprint is a great facility, but w/o an anchor tenant and at 4x the cost of IEC. IEC has 2 tenants. I'm not an Indep resident, but I give them credit for taking the initiative to build the facility and bring hockey/indoor soccer back to the metro area.

BTW, what do you think about the KANSAS Magic indoor soccer team name?

#84745 - 02/17/12 10:52 AM Re: Comets [Re: ]
CoachPlayRefNLS Offline
enthusiast

H8,
You "H8" the name, I get it. It sure seems like its only people in KS who have issue with the name. I bet the typical attendance @ Mavs/Comets game leans toward a greater # of Missouri residents, hence the attempt to draw from the population closest to the arena.

2 yrs into the life of the arena and you have already determined their marketing has failed, ouch. What I don't think you have considered is that there are some in the metro area who don't want to be tied to KC MO.

#84746 - 02/17/12 11:02 AM Re: Comets [Re: ]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
For people not familiar with the area, Independence is connected more with Missouri than is Kansas City. Those people always assume Kansas for Kansas City. Even that goof they had announcing for SKC kept making that mistake on the air.
Independence, Mo was declared the official head of the Santa Fe, California, Oregon trails by an act of congress. It is the county seat of Jackson County, and of course home to President Truman once he started kickin' it with Bess. If you haven't been to his library, you should go. The first thing you see is
a mural painted by Thomas Hart Benton,
and within is an exact replica of the oval office, and the office where Harry worked daily after he left the Presidency. I know. I saw him there. (yep. I'm that old)
So Independence was actually the core city in the metro area that was the first to be the victim of suburban sprawl.
William McCoy who was part of the ownership groups that founded the town of Westport, and established Westport Landing, and the Town of Kansas adjacent to it was also the first mayor of Independence.
Perhaps the key factor in how the metro area developed in the late 19th century was the location of the Hannibal Bridge. Had that first main rail line crossed the Missouri elsewhere, at Sugar Creek perhaps near the mouth of the Blue River, then the metro area would be a much different place. Imagine the stock yards, instead of the west bottoms, having been built where the Sheffield Steel plant is/was. Then perhaps we would be living in the "Independence Metro area".
What if that bridge had been built at the alternate proposed location at Leavenworth? Certainly Weston, Mo would be a much different place.

#84795 - 02/21/12 08:58 AM Re: Comets [Re: ]
TheWorldsGame Offline

Loc: Midwest
All -

If you missed Sunday's game against Rochester, you missed a good one. The home side held off a hard charging Lancers team who smelled a little blood in the water after Tiguinho and Junge went down. Not to mention Vahid, Bato and Cristiano didn't make the roster that day. Maybe to rest, heal or whatever... The Comets had some fresh faces on the bench ready to step up. Kudos to Cody Andrews, Matt Iverson and Tanner Hunjak for bringing a lot of energy to the pitch when Koach Kim called upon them.

But the highlight of the afternoon was watching Danny Waltman take his goalkeeping to another level. Time and time again he made spectacular saves that inspired awe. I've seen nearly every game these last two seasons and I cannot recall seeing him play better. The guy was jacked up for a big day and he delivered.

Sidenote: if you are an opposing player, don't mess with Brian Harris. The dude is tuff as nails and isn't afraid to scrap.

Bring on Milwaukee. They're coming to our house and it is payback time.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura