Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5074
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2446
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
#84686 - 02/14/12 01:06 PM club mergers...
Proff Offline
enthusiast

So, no one has brought up the KCFC / BV merger talks - even though it's on the lips of every coach in the metro.

What gives? Why the silent treatment?

#84687 - 02/14/12 01:23 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: Proff]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Loc: Kansas
What have you heard? Im not sure that would be a good thing. Should one club be that big?

#84688 - 02/14/12 01:44 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: oldfatdude]
sideline spectator Offline

Loc: Lawrence
KCFC has been looking for a suitor from clubs around the city for years....what is different this time?

#84699 - 02/15/12 07:59 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: sideline spectator]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

That's where I was hoping to go...what would be the upside or a merger? A club big enough, with enough draw...to compete at the national level consistently? To bring in really big events for coaching education or player camps?

With that many kids and steadier cash flow...could they get the GSi fields built in Olathe so we could host a few really amazing annual tourneys? 24 fields, all turf would mean monster tourneys of 400-500 teams. Regionals!

All clubs are always looking to merge, given the right situation. Why wouldn't they? It's just very difficult to actually hammer out the details.

Just a couple of positives...

#84700 - 02/15/12 10:17 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: Proff]
kcjones Offline

Yawn, let me know when this happens!
The problem over the years has been the difference in coaching philosophy. KCFC has the majority of the better coaches, but BV has the rec program to feed it's teams.
The power struggle at the top would be fun to watch as both clubs have coaches that are headstrong. Not a bad thing, but you can't have a lot of generals fighting for control and what direction to take the Super Club. SGSC in St. Louis just merged with Busch Soccer and in all reality, it did not make them a national powerhouse lately. IMHO, having 2 clubs with different techniques and coaching makes for better players as each one pushes the other and the players like to have rivals as well.
Final thought, what you see happening is BV tends to lose players at the older age groups (the one's who don't go on to SKC) to KCFC just because overall the coaching is better. Bring back some of the BV coaches before SKC and then BV can compete in depth of coaching. Don't get me wrong, there are a few outstanding BV coaches, but after that it falls off pretty fast.

#84707 - 02/15/12 02:44 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: Proff]
Roland Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Proff
That's where I was hoping to go...what would be the upside or a merger? A club big enough, with enough draw...to compete at the national level consistently? To bring in really big events for coaching education or player camps?

With that many kids and steadier cash flow...could they get the GSi fields built in Olathe so we could host a few really amazing annual tourneys? 24 fields, all turf would mean monster tourneys of 400-500 teams. Regionals!

All clubs are always looking to merge, given the right situation. Why wouldn't they? It's just very difficult to actually hammer out the details.

Just a couple of positives...
Regionals would never happen. The only way it could would be if each region had a big enough turf complex to play on.

#84708 - 02/15/12 04:53 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: Roland]
Proff Offline
enthusiast

I don't think the bylaws say all the regions have to play on the same surface.

Clearly, they don't all have to play on the same surface for Regionals AND Nationals...since OP already had Nationals on the turf.

In fact, they don't even always play on the same surface in the Regional tournament itself. Two years ago I believe the Region II U19 men played on turf while the other age groups played on grass.

#84717 - 02/16/12 06:43 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: Proff]
TAFKAVL Offline
veteran

Loc: Slums of Blue Valley
It was tried previously. Gigantic egos got in the way. The egos are still there on both sides so why would this time be different? (assuming the rumor is legit).

#84720 - 02/16/12 09:33 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: TAFKAVL]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I can't help but reiterate one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite authors, Isaac Asimov.

"An organization is like any other organism.
The bigger it is, the more crap it produces."

#84734 - 02/17/12 05:50 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: Keep It Fun]
TAFKAVL Offline
veteran

Loc: Slums of Blue Valley
Keep, you sure it's one of Asimov's? I can't find it when i searched under his name, but it's a great line. Particularly for those of us stuck working for megacorporations.

As for the merger rumor, when I see Little Napoleon speaking Welsh, I will believe it.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 ... 29 30 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura