Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5097
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2451
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 2 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
#84735 - 02/17/12 08:31 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: TAFKAVL]
HarvardontheKaw Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TAFKAVL
Keep, you sure it's one of Asimov's? I can't find it when i searched under his name, but it's a great line. Particularly for those of us stuck working for megacorporations.

As for the merger rumor, when I see Little Napoleon speaking Welsh, I will believe it.

Now that is funny!

#84737 - 02/17/12 09:03 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: HarvardontheKaw]
CoachPlayRefNLS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Summit of Lee
HotK et al,
Unless something strange happens now to upset the apple cart, its a done deal.

#84741 - 02/17/12 09:28 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: CoachPlayRefNLS]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Loc: Kansas
I am trying to think of ways this would be good for the kids? Anybody have ideas on this? (Yes I know it would be about money not about kids, but how could this be a benefit?)

#84748 - 02/17/12 01:02 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: oldfatdude]
HarvardontheKaw Offline
enthusiast

Imagine the talent pool of BVSC and KCFC together. While both clubs have teams competitive at a regional level and some above, blend those two together and you are going to have a juggernaut of a club.

#84753 - 02/17/12 10:07 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: HarvardontheKaw]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

From a business standpoint it makes sense for KCFC and Blue Valley to merge. BV uses Sporting tie in as draw which impacted KCFC. KCFC has some very quality coaches which is why many top players elected not to go over to BV and stay with KCFC
(i.e. Rangers).

At the end of the day it is all about $$$ and getting as many players to be part of a club as possible.

#84754 - 02/17/12 10:12 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: HarvardontheKaw]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: HarvardontheKaw
Imagine the talent pool of BVSC and KCFC together. While both clubs have teams competitive at a regional level and some above, blend those two together and you are going to have a juggernaut of a club.

HarvardontheKAW
The reality is many of the top talented players in Kansas live in Western Kansas.
SKC recently signed 2 Dodge players to go along with 2 players from Liberal on roster.
There are other very talented players that live in this area.

The talent pool rises when you get the best players no matter where they live. I hope the trend continues and the Western Kansas kids continue to get opportunities.

#84756 - 02/18/12 08:47 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: pelecosmos1]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Some of you must have attended the Parker Brothers school of economics. At least then a few would have a "Clue".
Consolidating talent is one thing.
On the other hand there's a fine line between cornering the market, and a a monopoly.
One need only look across the state at the fairly recent SLSG merger. The quality of play in some instances by their teams has diminished. Some coaches pulled the top teams/players out of the club so as not to be inundated by the bureaucracy, and internal politics.
There's been some real nastiness in the past amongst the coaching community. Now it's about to get uglier.
Honestly, do people really believe creating a more established hierarchy is good for the players? You have no idea how glad I am that all my children are nearly beyond youth soccer age. It's really mindboggling that an entire industry can be based upon kids playing a game. I was completely flabbergasted at the number of booths by companies piggybacking on the sport at the coaches' convention. What an amazing display of the human condition, dozens staffing the booths sitting around like "wallflowers" just hoping someone will pay attention to them long enough to reach into their pocketbook.
The TV was on yesterday, and I had occasion to hear Pat Sajak interview the Wheel if Fortune guests as to their occupation. It was newlywed week, so there were six people in all.
Their occupations,
Nurse;
teacher;
911 Operator/dispatcher;
Developmental therapist;
Accountant;
Strategist (honestly, what the heck is that? I think that's just another name for my current position as professional slacker).

Every one a service provider. Not a one producing or creating anything. No wonder our economy is so fragile.
I've listed them in what I consider to be skilled in something that's actually useful to the human condition.
At least none of them listed their occupation as soccer coach.
Guess where they'd fall on the list? Not much above (or would it be?) my current occupation. Perhaps we're better off as a whole if we pay some people to do absolutely nothing so they don't screw up anything meaningful.
Don't get me wrong. Obviously I love the game, and sports in general or I wouldn't be on this forum, or participating in any manner, but the tail is now wagging the dog. If something isn't done to put things in perspective, then your kids will hate their coach, they'll hate the game, and they'll hate you.
Good luck everyone.

#84757 - 02/18/12 09:45 AM Re: club mergers... [Re: Keep It Fun]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

Keep

Agree 100% with you.

I did not say a merger was good for the end user: the consumer- The parents and player.

Business is all about marketing and promoting your product or service to maximize the profits.

Many companies across many different industries will look to purchase competitors to maximize their market share and profits.

What happens when a company monopolizes a product or service they can keep raising costs and do what ever and get by with it since they have no competition.

That is why in some industrities there are Anti Trust lawas in place to keep from one company getting too big and being a monopoly.

Youth Soccer is a business and continues to go the wrong way with focus now on traveling over the country to play games.

At the end of the day the winners are the clubs who make maore money by getting bigger and the coaches who gain more exposure by bringing their teams all over the country.

Edited by pelecosmos1 (02/18/12 09:48 AM)

#84760 - 02/18/12 01:41 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: ]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Loc: Kansas
H8 = yikes!

This merger = Yikes!

#84761 - 02/18/12 02:43 PM Re: club mergers... [Re: oldfatdude]
reason Offline

Originally Posted By: oldfatdude
H8 = yikes!

This merger = Yikes!

OFD = Yikes!!