Who's Online
5 registered (pcsoccer, jw7, Kyle, LSSA_soccer, southtown), 26 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5071
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2446
Keep It Fun 2404
Topic Options
#85972 - 05/05/12 10:13 PM Kansas ODP
robbeno Offline

I wondering if anyone has been around the u11 Girls Kansas ODP team? My daughter is u11 d1 player and plays for me in u13 also. This is her 1st season playing in her own age group and is a top player in D1. Also is a great player in u13. I have thoughts of her trying out for Kansas ODP in the fall and just like to see if anyone is apart of it now to see what they think.

#85974 - 05/05/12 11:05 PM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: robbeno]
Proud KC Soccer Offline

Loc: Atchison, Kansas
Our son has played for 2 years. He enjoys it and the experiences he has had because of it. There is mixed thoughts on ODP though....it is extra touches, we have had the pleasure of some extra out-of-town tournaments, and our son really enjoyed regional camp and is looking forward to it again this summer. I do know there are some families that are totally against it. It really depends on what you are looking for. For us it has been enjoyable, for others...not so much so.

#85977 - 05/06/12 07:52 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: Proud KC Soccer]
kssoccermom Offline

My daughter did it this year at U10 and it was a fun experience. The cost and commitment at her level was low and I liked the extra practice and coaching. When they did the giant scrimmage at OP this February, I noticed that the Kansas girls teams didn't look as sharp as the Missouri teams. Not sure if there's some re-structuring that will take place any time soon. Overall, it was a good experience though and the experience your child gets learning a different style of play with different teammates helps them get used to adapting (I figure it couln't hurt in tryout situations).

#85978 - 05/06/12 09:31 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: Proud KC Soccer]
Proud KC Soccer Offline

Loc: Atchison, Kansas
Our son is with the 98 boys and has played with them during his U12 and U13 seasons. After making the team, there are two tournaments: one in Oklahoma (last year Tulsa, this year OKC), and one in Lincoln, Nebraska. There is also league play in February at OPSC. Then in July there is the regional camp (last year at OPSC, this year in Illinois for the boys...not sure on the girls). One weekend night a month for training, which isn't really bad.

Something that we have taken out of it as a family is the fun of traveling. The Lincoln tournament luckily for us is in my hometown, and this year my whole family made it to our son's game (some came to one, some to the other) so he had his largest cheering section ever. I know that is abnormal, but cool for us. The Oklahoma tournament was a great opportunity for sight seeing. During the OKC one, we were able to visit a WWII battalion and the Oklahoma City bombing site. Generally, when it is ODP tournaments my son & I go alone so we make a big deal of making it a complete experience.

Another thing that is pretty cool is the fact that our son is competing against/with some of the best kids in the area. Not all of the kids are top caliber (it seems that in the boys there is a lot of focus on Academy play and they don't play ODP because of it so there are some on his team that aren't as high level as you would expect). It is funny. My son is this kid from small town Kansas. Played small town rec until he was 9 with his mommy & daddy (us) as his coaches. Didn't start club until right before his 10th birthday and even then it was for another small town club who gets beat regularly by KC teams. But here, 3 years later, it is a rare game when Sterling doesn't know either the opposing coach or players on the opposing team. It is funny to watch him out there talking friendly smack to someone on the team because he knows him.

Some of this is because of the camps he has attended (Huw Williams camp for 3 years), but a lot of it is because of ODP. After games he has walked up to the coach and told him how it was a good game. This is because he knows him. I'm sure this would be a great asset in tryouts...we are going to test the theory this year, because really, he hasn't done a lot of tryouts yet...because he has been scouted through a camp he attended and was asked to long-term guest play on a team (has done this for two different clubs) then after guest playing was asked to join as a full member. If this can happen to a small town kid, what can it do for a kid that lives in the city who already has more exposure during practices and such?

Okay...that is our experience. Kinda long, but honestly, we can't say enough good just because it has been a lot of fun for us. Again, it all depends on what you are looking for.

#85979 - 05/06/12 09:39 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: Proud KC Soccer]
HarvardontheKaw Offline
enthusiast

Your kid(s) can do plenty of traveling without participating in ODP. Hook up with a good club, like BVSC, Fusion and KCFC and when you son or daughter makes it to the top team, believe me, they will travel. And, yes, it is fun to travel... some. No regrets; it has been a great experience. Pocket book is a bit emptier, but worth every cent that we've spent.

#85982 - 05/06/12 10:08 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: HarvardontheKaw]
BiebersHairpiece Offline

Loc: OP Field #12
Originally Posted By: HarvardontheKaw
Your kid(s) can do plenty of traveling without participating in ODP. Hook up with a good club, like BVSC, Fusion and KCFC and when you son or daughter makes it to the top team, believe me, they will travel. And, yes, it is fun to travel... some. No regrets; it has been a great experience. Pocket book is a bit emptier, but worth every cent that we've spent.

Harvard, can you tell me more about your son's experience? I'd like to know when he started club ball and what club he is with and the coaching he's received over the years. He must be a really good player! Congrats!

#85984 - 05/06/12 10:26 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: BiebersHairpiece]
oldfatdude Offline
old hand

Loc: Kansas
Is Bieber the new Paulie Walnuts?

#85985 - 05/06/12 10:51 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: oldfatdude]
robbeno Offline

Harvar- its not about the traveling. I have a u13 girls team that travels in the fall that she plays on with me. Its more about expanding her experience. I have coach her the whole time until this season where I let her secondary in her own age group. I know its hard to believe that a Dad can develop couple high level players, but its about more training from someone else. I hear that ODP doesnt have the best players, then the training is why most do ODP?

#85989 - 05/06/12 05:49 PM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: robbeno]
KSDad Offline
enthusiast

Currently the *best players* are diluted between academy teams, Sporting Jr teams, and ODP which is noticeable against states like Iowa where tier structures are different than the KC Metro for example.

ODP typically utilizes college and junior college coaches along with top club coaches, I've always felt the mix of coaching to be very beneficial. Different coaches will have different strengths and emphasis, and learning to adjust to those will strengthen players.

The cost is very reasonable, I think the tournaments were $45 bucks and the training phase was $125 total for a few months through the winter of excellent instruction. Regional Camp is the most expensive line item, but it's all inclusive and around $700 bucks for a week of out of state, very intensive, excellent coaching.

I can echo the sentiments of others so far in this thread, we've been in the ODP program 3 years and have made a lot of friends between players, coaches, and administrators. It's opened an entirely different area of the soccer universe for us.

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura