Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5333
johnmc04 2875
paul12 2810
Willy 2568
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101839 - 09/01/16 06:02 AM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

I had my subs planned out and had them all written down on paper and when they went in. I spent several days planning that out and went through 764 pieces of paper doing it and redoing it over and over. Finally had it set up where I liked the groupings and thought it was the most balanced we could get. What I wasn't planning for was 5 minutes into the game about 3 kids yelling over that they were tired already. That threw a wrench in my notepad right off the bat. I sub'd in early and not where I wanted to sub and from that point on my notepad meant absolutely nothing.
The dry erase board I think will help. At least I can keep track of them better. Still not sure how I'm going to sub to keep the right players in positions I want them to be in. I only have 4 subs so I'm limited as to how much I can do that. At some point I'm just going to have people in places I don't want. I don't see a way around that.

#101944 - 09/09/16 06:26 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Orion,
Try the WHAT IF concept...

What you do before a game is to go over EVERY situation you can think of that might occur in the match and then write them down on the left side of an A4 size piece of paper.
Then on the right you write down the solution/s to that What If.
i.e.
What If........................................Solution

- My striker is injured.....................Play X or promote Y
- The wind is against us first half......Play Plan B
etc...
Then, if they DO occur, you dont need to panic as you've prepared for this occurring.

Playing players out of position is all about selling the idea to the player...."The team needs a great player to play X and I'm convinced that you are the best I have to do that role - what about it?"

#101947 - 09/10/16 01:21 AM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

we had another game Wed. Got stomped pretty bad (8-0) by a team that really wasn't very good. I'm learning a lot as we go. Last game I learned these kids aren't nearly as invested in winning as I am. Took quite a bit of wind out of my sails really. Going to be a long season I think. This may be my 1 and only season as a coach.
The dry erase made things run much smoother on the sideline. The problem I had mostly was kids that just didn't want to play. Everyone wants to play defense. I'm guessing the running is too much for them up front. I have 2 kids that would play the entire game in any position but the rest are constantly asking to be sub'd out if they're midfield and then asking to go back in on defense. Frustrating.
I was so excited going into the season and thought we would be able to be competitive with teams. Finding out the hard way that isn't the case.
We practice Monday then games Tue. and Wed. We're going to all spend the first few minutes of practice having a talk and see if we can't sort out a few issues of where and when people play. Either they're there to play and try and win or they're not. If they're comfortable with 8-0 losses then I'm not the right coach for them because I'm not.

#101951 - 09/10/16 06:49 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Orion,
If you go into a restaurant and order a meal, would you blame the waiter if the meal was horrible??......no you would blame the Chef - the person who cooked the meal.

They're 12 years old for Christs sake....
When you look at matches in terms of performances instead of winning and losing, THEN maybe you will make it enjoyable for your players.

You are probably right about it being your one and only season as a coach. Yes... you CARE of course, but unless you 'get it' that its about the PLAYERS, then you cannot engage with them in the way that they respond to what you want to see.

Winning is the residue of Hard Work, the application of learned skills towards a focused target and that includes the coach seeing if there is another way to communicate with players so they provide the necessary feedback and response from any decisions made.

I would hate to guess what your players responses to you as their coach at the moment if you asked them whether they wanted you as their coach, if you consider a majority of them of not wanting to play - maybe they DO want to play but not necessarily under you.

Most experienced coaches have all been through similar situations in their early careers as coaches - they have felt exactly the same as you but have found that when they consciously adapted their thinking so that the players were the focus, so did their positive experience of coaching.....and the teams win ratio climbing.

Obviously you don't have to take on board the contents of this post - its only my opinion.....but I offer it for no other reason than to help you from going crazy!!

#101955 - 09/11/16 11:39 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

you assume because I vent here that I would say any of this to a kid. Of course I realize they're kids and would never say anything that made them feel like a failure. I focus on positives and things they did right while showing them things we can all do as a team to improve. I do however hold them responsible for their own effort. If you're not putting forth the effort you're making the rest of your team pick up your slack. Wanting to sit back on defense the whole game is not trying to win a game....it's being selfish and letting everyone else put in the work to score goals. Would I say that to them? No, but that doesn't make it any less true. I will figure out a way to get the message across that it takes a team effort to win games.

The hardest part of this entire thing is because they're rec league kids. Several of those kids should not be playing soccer period. They can't kick the ball. At 12 years old you should be able to kick a ball. They've had no basic skills taught to them. My 3 year old son can kick better than 2 of my players and he has a better grasp on how the game is played. What do you do with kids like that? I put them out there and spend extra time in practice with them on basic skills, such as kicking a ball, but during a game they're completely outmatched by 99% of the kids on the field.

At the end of the day this will be my 1 and only season coaching. Not because the team loses but because it's took away some of the enjoyment I've had over the years watching my daughter play. I don't do this stuff for me....I do it for her and it's been "our" thing since she was 4. It's better if I just go back to that so me and her can get as much enjoyment out of this as possible while she's still young. I thought this would make it better so we could enjoy it together as a team but that isn't the case. I spend far too much time trying to figure out how to teach a 10 year to kick a ball or how to motivate someone else's kid enough to want to hustle and play hard for 1 hour a week.

and ps
the waiter certainly gets the blame.....you've obviously never worked in a restaurant. laugh

#101976 - 09/13/16 06:09 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Watching your kid is whole world away from coaching your own kid.
Having done both I can fully understand how it can screw up your passion.

Oh, and IF I were a waiter in THOSE restaurants then any customer blaming ME for the crap food would be given the name of the Chef so they could take it up with THEM laugh

#101977 - 09/13/16 08:40 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

I would be fine if I had a field full of my own kids. My daughter plays her guts out. Another game down.....lost 9-0 today.
We practiced Monday. I spent a good portion doing a walk through with them and showing them how to stay in position and how to work the ball down the field as a team passing (which is tough to do when very few passes are on target). I then did 4v4 offense against defense over and over stopping practice and showing people when they were out of position. Worked on passing quite a bit trying to give them the feel of making the pass and accepting the pass.
Today during the game it was like I had said nothing about it to them at all. Almost every kid I have is a 1 kick and done and it doesn't matter which way they're pointing when they kick. They just kick it once as hard as they can whichever direction they're pointing and stand there. I really think most of it is the lack of basic skills that's killing them and now they're at a level where they don't have that cushion to learn them. Parents don't want to practice more than once or twice a week. I was having 3 a week starting out and by Friday I would have 4 kids there. These kids just don't have the time to learn all they need to learn in one season.
I think for the spring season coming up I'm going to move my daughter to select or a travel team where she'll have real coaches and kids that share the same drive to play well.

#102063 - 09/20/16 12:59 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
jrSoccer Offline
stranger

Chin up, my friend. I currently find myself in the exact same position. I agreed to take on a team of kids whose parents were frustrated with rec coaches and their kids wanted to be more serious soccer players, but they weren't sure they wanted to make a step up to the expense of club teams. So, I now have a bunch of u12 boys who can't kick, can't pass, and can barely remember to kick off after a goal is scored. Many of them are good athletes and will eventually make decent players but right now it's like having more physically mature u-6 players.

Really early on I identified that I was going to have to break these kids down and go all the way back rudimentary skills before I could expect much. I've spent 8-weeks re-teaching dribbling, kicking, and basic positioning. We've played 4 games and we've been outscored 38-2, and yet, I actually think they're starting to get it. I've had to work really hard to re-assure the kids, the parents, and myself that this is a long term process and the results will come. I liken it to reading, you don't give a 1st grader Harry Potter and you don't give a 6th grader War and Peace.

I'll admit, this is tough to process as a coach, but when I start critically evaluating their game performance I can see that the kids are starting to handle the ball better, their passes actually look intentional (instead of kicking in the right direction), and I can tell I'm starting to make a dent in their playing level. I think you'll find that when you start to ignore the results and the expectation of better tactics, you'll also find that you are making progress with your kids.

Hang in there brother, you're doing fine, just focus on teaching the skills and sooner or later they'll jump up and surprise you with a result.

#102067 - 09/20/16 05:48 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Kids just want to PLAY....results are what adults are consumed by.
When I became a grandfatehr, I began to learn HOW to be in a childs world again.

When a coach suddenly realises that playing IS the goal for kids and that performing is what ALL kids are capable of, then THATS the moment when they will be able to engage in a developmental way with their players.

So, its about challenging them to show you what they are capable of and NOT what YOU want to see....CHALLENGE >> COMPETITION >> CONSISTENCY.

Results will only start to emerge when you have consistency of purpose....allow them to have YOUR way!!

#102068 - 09/20/16 11:43 PM Re: new coach.....lots of questions [Re: 0rion]
0rion Offline
stranger

Had a game tonight....lost 13-1 laugh

There have been some positives the last couple of games and practices. I no longer care about the score. I've just accepted there's a really good chance we won't win a game all season and most likely will lose them all in grand fashion haha. I'm focusing more on just teaching these kids the basics and letting them have fun. We spent a big chunk of practice this week just on throw ins and keeping feet down. Were losing a lot of possessions on those. Now I just have to show them not to throw directly to the opposing team. laugh
I've simplified my subs so that most can stay in the same position. I think that's helping them out some at least with what their roles are.
I'm still trying to get them to stop just kicking the ball 1 time and actually start dribbling and looking for passing opportunities. Today's game I did see a few attempts at that and while unsuccessful there was at least effort to do so.
The team we played today was a good team. It's all the "A" players in the league so going in I knew it was going to be bad. I congratulated my kids on playing hard all the way up to the final whistle and not giving up or turning on one another during the game. It's hard to go out and lose....much harder than winning and their drive and effort shows character.
All in all it was a good game....as good as losing 13-1 can be. My daughter scored our lone goal so we had that moment together. It was late in the game when she scored and I yelled to the kids "we've cracked the seal....just need 12 more". Kids and parents alike all started laughing which was a good moment. laugh
I still have no intentions of ever coaching again but I'm going to make the best out of our last 5 games and just see what we can do.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura