Who's Online
2 registered (pctrips, SoccerDad17), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5334
johnmc04 2875
paul12 2810
Willy 2568
Keep It Fun 2404
Topic Options
#101967 - 09/12/16 09:31 PM Confidence and Mentality
Mackemlad Offline
stranger

Hey everyone, I'm a young coach from England and in the summer I took over a team who'd previously struggled. Last season they won just 1 game and were on the end of some hammerings. I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing when I saw the quality of the players, there was some fantastic skilful players and the defenders individually were solid all round players. Pre season was a mixed bag, we played some top sides and at times we were outclassed but on the final game of pre season we played a side 2 divisions higher than us and absolutley thrashed them. The new season was looking bright and three quarters into the first game we were winning comfortably! But then came the moment where I realised exactly what I was dealing with. A defensive error led to us conceding and 5 minutes later the tables had turned. The flood gates opened and the team completely collapsed. Game number 2 started brightly again! We were 2-1 down after 20 minutes but it was completely against the run of play. Another defensive error led to a 3rd and again the team collapsed, the fight disappeared and we were comfortably beaten. The problem is, on Saturday were away to top of the league, and they've scored 16 and conceded 0 in their opening two games. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on repairing broken confidence and breeding a fighting mentality among the team?

Edited by Mackemlad (09/12/16 10:00 PM)

#101973 - 09/13/16 11:16 AM Re: Confidence and Mentality [Re: Mackemlad]
Willy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Washington DC Area
Are your players in shape?

Also, you can start introducing competition in practice and warm-ups before games where the players are expected to give 100% mentally and physically. That would be my starting point.

Albert Einstein

#101975 - 09/13/16 05:57 PM Re: Confidence and Mentality [Re: Mackemlad]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Mackemlad
Hey everyone, I'm a young coach from England and in the summer I took over a team who'd previously struggled. Last season they won just 1 game and were on the end of some hammerings. I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing when I saw the quality of the players, there was some fantastic skilful players and the defenders individually were solid all round players. Pre season was a mixed bag, we played some top sides and at times we were outclassed but on the final game of pre season we played a side 2 divisions higher than us and absolutley thrashed them. The new season was looking bright and three quarters into the first game we were winning comfortably! But then came the moment where I realised exactly what I was dealing with. A defensive error led to us conceding and 5 minutes later the tables had turned. The flood gates opened and the team completely collapsed. Game number 2 started brightly again! We were 2-1 down after 20 minutes but it was completely against the run of play. Another defensive error led to a 3rd and again the team collapsed, the fight disappeared and we were comfortably beaten. The problem is, on Saturday were away to top of the league, and they've scored 16 and conceded 0 in their opening two games. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on repairing broken confidence and breeding a fighting mentality among the team?

Number of issues here...
1) You've only been there for a relatively short time so you have only gained experience of how they PLAY and not who they ARE.

2) You have to understand the 3 biggest problems you have and then find solutions for all 3.

3) Any training time should be spent around what they will ACTUALLY do on the pitch so no drills/functions/POPs, just position them as defenders vs attackers (no mids) and have them passing in circuits (3 or 4 balls at the same time)

4) Select your BEST 7 players and position them like so:
..........L/CB........L/M..........L/STRIKER

GK

..........R/CB........R/M..........R/STRIKER

The other 4 players are spread around the outside.
This forms the 'spine' of resistance.

EVERYTHING you do in training should have CHALLENGE/COMPETITION and zero tolerence of consistency.
ALL players can PERFORM so if they perform and they still dont win the match then praise them for their effort and how well they played against the top top team.

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura