Who's Online
3 registered (sccrdd101, SoccerDad17, coachkev), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5334
johnmc04 2875
paul12 2810
Willy 2573
Keep It Fun 2404
Topic Options
#102338 - 11/29/16 12:02 AM Coaching large numbers any suggestions
cemcdani Offline
stranger

So I am a high school coach in Texas in am coaching the boys and girls teams both so we started our after school practices today I have about 34 girls and 52 guys. Coaching wise we have me and two asssistants working all of them out at the same time. I am trying to stay organized so I can keep the majority of the kids working at all times. My question is does anyone have any suggestions. On organizing the program To maximize the benefits for everyone involved. We have every level of players on both side from very skilled players to first time players. Any suggestions would be appreciated . I will setup the teams at the end of the first week. Three boys teams and two girls. Thanks for your input.

#102341 - 12/02/16 07:54 PM Re: Coaching large numbers any suggestions [Re: cemcdani]
coachkev Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
With large numbers, you split them into several groups and replicate the same drill/function with a ball in each group
Then you walk around constantly adding comments to raise the intensity of their work.
Within each activity, ensure the 3 C's are utilised.

C-HALLENGE (Which group can do this the best? - which group can achieve the most?

C-OMPETITION (1v1, group v group, team v team)

C-ONSISTENCY (Every pass/control/cross/shot/dribble/save etc) is the best

#102342 - 12/02/16 10:27 PM Re: Coaching large numbers any suggestions [Re: coachkev]
cemcdani Offline
stranger

Thank you once again. My worst problem now is I feel like I'm to busy trying to coach them all to get enough quality coaching done . I think it will get a little better now because I'm splitting them into their teams this weekend then they will be closer in skill level by group. So I can start coaching groups at the level they are at.

#102400 - 12/20/16 03:17 PM Re: Coaching large numbers any suggestions [Re: cemcdani]
Carpal Tunnel

Learn to tell a story...

What I mean by that is, lets say you were the ONLY person to have read the book Cinderella and you KNEW it was a great story but because you couldnt tell it properly in a fun, exciting and engaing way, then ALL those great characters and fantastic ending would never reach their ears.

Once you 'get' the point of telling a story instead of coaching then your players will get the story too!

as for numbers, well, the story is the same no matter how many there is...all you need is split them into fairly equal numbers and delegate one player from each group to tell the 'story' to their group.

I presented the following to one of the U14 squads I've coached for the past two seasons...

"LIFE IS LIKE AN ACORN, PLANTED IN THE SOIL OF LOVE
IT NEEDS THE RAIN TO NOURISH AND THE WARMTH OF THE SUN ABOVE
THOUGH BRANCHES LATER GO DIFFERENT WAYS, GROWING ACORNS OF THEIR OWN,
THE ROOTS WILL ALWAYS REMAIN AS ONE, SO YOU'LL NEVER BE ALONE
AND AS THE OAK TREE GROWS AND GROWS, STRETCHING FOR THE SUN
IT WILL LIVE ITS LIFE FACING NATURES WINDS, UNTIL ITS TIME IS DONE"

As I handed them to each player I asked them to look at each other player in their squad and told them...
"No matter where you go and whatever the direction, the players you see HERE and NOW are YOUR roots...nothing better will happen than what is happening right now"

#102402 - 12/21/16 06:54 PM Re: Coaching large numbers any suggestions [Re: cemcdani]
Carpal Tunnel

Another message I usually hand out to the squad after the initial first seasons coaching is;

"YOUR DEDICATION TO MY DIRECTION HAS PUT FIRE TO YOUR SOULS

ALL I CAN DO IS INSPIRE YOU TO DO YOUR BEST TO REACH YOUR GOALS

THE LESSONS WILL BE REMEMBERED LONG AFTER THE GAME IS WON

FOR THOSE LESSONS YOU HAVE BEEN LEARNING HAVE ONLY JUST BEGUN

YOU ARE LEARNING ABOUT COMMITMENT, DETERMINATION AND HOPE

AND AS YOU GO THROUGH YOUR LIFE, YOU'LL BE BETTER ABLE TO COPE

YOU'LL COPE WITH ALL YOUR STRUGGLES, YOUR FAILURES AND SUCCESS

BECAUSE YOU LISTENED TO WHAT I'VE SAID, YOU WILL BECOME THE BEST

SO THANK YOU FOR LISTENING, YOU DESERVE ALL THE CREDIT NOT ME

WITHOUT ALL YOUR EFFORTS IN TRYING, I'D NEVER BE AS GOOD AS CAN BE

YOU MAY NOT REMEMBER ALL WHAT I TELL YOU, BUT ONE THING I HOPE THAT YOU WILL

THAT YOU'LL REMEMBER JUST HOW SPECIAL, I TRIED HARD TO MAKE YOU ALL FEEL