Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5334
johnmc04 2875
paul12 2810
Willy 2574
Keep It Fun 2404
Topic Options
#103313 - 07/14/17 08:06 AM Coaching advice
CCDS Coach Offline
stranger

Loc: Ohio
Good day to all!

I am looking for some advice on coaching my 12 year old player. He has been playing for about four years now and has come along pretty well. His ball handling skills are good but not great and he has a nice shot. The problem I have is over the last year he has gained some weight and everything he does has slowed down. I'm thinking that he is in an "awkward growing stage" after discussing his outside activities and diet with his parents and this is contributing to his weight gain. (I could be wrong confused )

He is getting into the habit of slowing down the press when challenged and trying to beat the defender with a move or fake and is often getting stuck because his speed has slowed. Any advice to break this bad habit?

Thanks in advance!

#103317 - 07/17/17 07:30 AM Re: Coaching advice [Re: CCDS Coach]
CCDS Coach Offline
stranger

Is anyone frequenting this forum anymore???

#103321 - 07/17/17 04:30 PM Re: Coaching advice [Re: CCDS Coach]
Willy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Washington DC Area
yes, I am here. Will respond shortly grin

Albert Einstein

#103322 - 07/17/17 04:34 PM Re: Coaching advice [Re: CCDS Coach]
Willy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think he will go through a positive spurt in the future. For now, how about you adjust his playing style and maybe even position to utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses effects on the team?

For example, he can be more of a creator than having to dribble through the defense himself.

Albert Einstein

#103323 - 07/18/17 09:38 AM Re: Coaching advice [Re: CCDS Coach]
CCDS Coach Offline
stranger

Hi Willy! Thanks for the response. I was starting to think I was alone in here!LOL!

I have tossed around that idea and was leaning toward that solution. Last year we ran a 4-4-2 diamond and I was hoping to do the same this year as I like having the ability to push or hold back my attacking mid.

If I put him in the 10 spot I am sacrificing the experience of an older player(age 13) for his(age 11) shot, but if I put him in 8 or 11 spot I worry I'm not using him to his potential. I'm also tossing around the idea of a flat 4-4-2, but worry about the midfield being left open for counter attack.

I coach a middle school team at a private school, so I have a wide range of age and ability to contend with in a limited selection of players and few subs.

Obviously there is no golden solution to the issue, but I'm trying to fill the gaps the best I can. Again I appreciate the input!

#103356 - 07/22/17 08:52 PM Re: Coaching advice [Re: CCDS Coach]
Willy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am glad somebody else is still here! I miss the old days when 5 or 6 topics were going on at the same time.

Albert Einstein

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura