Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5063
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2444
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#49685 - 03/12/09 11:44 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
dirkvanadidas Offline
stranger

Just as well that some players are brougt up on street soccer and asscoiated games.

Headers and Volleys, self imposed restriction on what goals are allowed.

Cuppie aka Worldcup, restriction of playing towards one goal.

Football methods are subjective and not objective despite the rise in sports scientists.

#49688 - 03/12/09 12:58 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: dirkvanadidas]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Well, there's that, too.

The thing is, as much as I post in favor of (gasp) restrictions, I also tend to think the better players of tomorrow are those who grow up everyday playing without a coach - kids in Nigeria, Suriname, etc. Guess I'm not very coherent in my thinking.

Maybe its just a case that us Europeans and Americans are dealing with a modern youth culture that doesn't play everyday in the streets, so we argue over how to best use the few hours every week we can get kids playing to best replicate the advantages of the disadvantaged.

But look on the bright side - if the world economy goes further in the tank, maybe our kids won't have anything to do except play in the streets everyday, too.

#49690 - 03/12/09 01:18 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: paul12]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Yeah, weve had this debate on here years ago.
That its the AFFLUENCE of a nation that determines the natural players from becoming stars.

Once it was littl old Britain that had its fair share of World Stars because these ' kids' didnt have the money to do anything else. They didnt have Playstations, Computers, Mobiles, even hardly more than 4 TV channels, so kids played in the 'MANY' parks or School Playgrounds for hours without coaches.

Now its the turn of nations like Africa, who will follow, South America where these 'kids without affluence' are 'sucked' up by the AFFLUENT nations in the 'bloodsucking' pursuit of glory.

#49693 - 03/12/09 03:34 PM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: dirkvanadidas]
ironman Offline
addict

Loc: manchester
Originally Posted By: dirkvanadidas

Football methods are subjective and not objective despite the rise in sports scientists.

I think you will find the best football methods are science based, in fact if it was not for science football would not be what it is today.

We can talk about what conditions and restirctions make players great and the reasons why countries dont produce as many great players all we want, but we cant ignore the fact that the gap between the worst and best football players has decreased making the over all standard of play higher.

My point is becuase the gap is closing it appears as though players are not as they may have been but the truth is the level has evened out.

Edited by ironman (03/12/09 04:57 PM)

#51808 - 05/06/09 04:17 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: ironman]
SC09 Offline
journeyman

Interesting thread this laugh

I think both Kev and Willie have mentioned it, reward instead of restrict. Encorouge them to deliver the outcomes you would like to see, but don't force them. Otherwise you take away their empowerment which is so important for developing the decision making process (as shown in research by Lynn Kidman etc.)

Also it is important that these 'challenges' are created with a clear connection between them and what you are trying to achieve. To do this I think this is where the planning 'backwards' is used.

Create the topic
Create the SSG
Create the skill practices made from components of the topic that occur in the SSG
Create the technical practice that promote the elemented wanted in the skill

Agree or not?

#51811 - 05/06/09 04:24 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: SC09]
SC09 Offline
journeyman

Although a typical game that the kids decide to do instead of free play is Charlie's game (named after one of the kids who 'created' it, though sure to have been used elsewhere before):

Amount of passes in build up + 1 equals the amount of goals it counts as.

Simple, fun and not restricting.

#51832 - 05/06/09 08:09 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: SC09]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Huh. That's not bad SC09... I'm trying that one next practice. If you see young Charlie, tell him I said interesting idea.

#51835 - 05/06/09 08:30 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: SC09]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: SC09
Interesting thread this laugh

I think both Kev and Willie have mentioned it, reward instead of restrict. Encorouge them to deliver the outcomes you would like to see, but don't force them. Otherwise you take away their empowerment which is so important for developing the decision making process (as shown in research by Lynn Kidman etc.)

Also it is important that these 'challenges' are created with a clear connection between them and what you are trying to achieve. To do this I think this is where the planning 'backwards' is used.

Create the topic
Create the SSG
Create the skill practices made from components of the topic that occur in the SSG
Create the technical practice that promote the elemented wanted in the skill

Agree or not?

Careful though SC.
By all means creating the topic is the first step.
But instead of components, there should be AIMS.
Its the AIM that drives the focus which in turn, drives the relevent skills needed.

So, lets say your topic is Possession Soccer with End Result. Thats the AIM
The AIM then drives the skills needed (getting the ball,keeping the ball, accurate first touch and passing, playing quick to get in a strike etc)
Then you can play Charlies Game for the SSG

Then you stop...
- Reflect,
- Refine
- Rehearse
- Repeat ( WOW 4 R's now!!!)
For the technical parts
Then repeat Charlies game while focusing on the AIM (Possession with End Result)

Questions to constantly ask..

"IS THIS APPROPRIATE FOR THE AIM?"
"DOES THIS ACHIEVE THE AIM?"
"ARE PLAYERS IMPROVING INDIVIDUALLY AND AS A TEAM RELEVENT TO THE TOPICS AIM?"

Then its a debrief and remind yourself what went well what didnt and plan accordingly.

#51836 - 05/06/09 08:35 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
SC09 Offline
journeyman

So should be decide on a topic, create the aim?

I'm along the right lines though smile

#51838 - 05/06/09 08:41 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: SC09]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Okay SC....you're along the right lines...there Okay now??? whistle

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura