Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#51843 - 05/06/09 09:12 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: SC09]
WillieB Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: SC09
Although a typical game that the kids decide to do instead of free play is Charlie's game (named after one of the kids who 'created' it, though sure to have been used elsewhere before):

Amount of passes in build up + 1 equals the amount of goals it counts as.

Simple, fun and not restricting.

So if I'm understanding this correctly if there are 6 passes in the build-up the goal counts as 7 however if there are 15 passes in the build up the goal counts as 16.

Yes?

#51844 - 05/06/09 09:13 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: WillieB]
Kiery Offline
addict

Loc: Edinburgh
Originally Posted By: WillieB
Although a typical game that the kids decide to do instead of free play is Charlie's game (named after one of the kids who 'created' it, though sure to have been used elsewhere before):

So if I'm understanding this correctly if there are 6 passes in the build-up the goal counts as 7 however if there are 15 passes in the build up the goal counts as 16.

Yes?

I think so mate.

#51845 - 05/06/09 09:17 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: WillieB]
SC09 Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: WillieB

Yes?

Yup, thats the game.

#51847 - 05/06/09 09:39 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: SC09]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northern Virginia
Willie, I can guess you may be thinking its not game-like, but look at the extra mental processing you are giving these players. Do they shoot now or try to ramp up the score with another couple passes?

I want to try it just to see what they do.

And it does avoid the restriction of telling them they have to pass three times before... etc.

I'm certainly not saying teams should do this all practice, every practice. But as an every-once-in-a-while, it could be fun.

The biggest downside might be for the coach, however, who has to keep count, and add scores. I might have to break down and actually bring some paper to practice.

#51849 - 05/06/09 09:47 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: paul12]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Actually the more I think about it, the harder it sounds. Maybe I can get a parent to count and add for me.

#51852 - 05/06/09 09:54 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: paul12]
coachkev Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: UK
Paul,
The way I play this style is the 5 to 1 GAME
Normal match except that on the first possession, each team must complete 5 passes consecutively BEFORE they can go for goal.
As long as the strike was on goal then the NEXT time the team gains possession they have 4 Passes to complete before attacking the goal and so on.

Whichever team scores after only 1 pass then they win.
Remember possession will constantly be changing so you have to be constantly aware of the target of each team.

With enough time you could then go straight into the reverse.
So when a team gets to 1 pass and scores they win THAT part but on the next possession they need to complete 2 passes and adding one each time until they reach 5.

Remember that after an unsuccessful attack, teams STAY on the current target number.

#51857 - 05/06/09 10:14 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowances [Re: coachkev]
Kiery Offline
addict

Loc: Edinburgh
Originally Posted By: coachkev
Paul,
The way I play this style is the 5 to 1 GAME
Normal match except that on the first possession, each team must complete 5 passes consecutively BEFORE they can go for goal.
As long as the strike was on goal then the NEXT time the team gains possession they have 4 Passes to complete before attacking the goal and so on.

Whichever team scores after only 1 pass then they win.
Remember possession will constantly be changing so you have to be constantly aware of the target of each team.

With enough time you could then go straight into the reverse.
So when a team gets to 1 pass and scores they win THAT part but on the next possession they need to complete 2 passes and adding one each time until they reach 5.

Remember that after an unsuccessful attack, teams STAY on the current target number.

That is the way I usually play it Kev.

#51858 - 05/06/09 10:22 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowanc [Re: Kiery]
johnmc04 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: uk
Kev,is Coachkev an A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.? grin

#51860 - 05/06/09 10:26 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowanc [Re: johnmc04]
johnmc04 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: uk
In Charlies Game(copyright charlie) how about imposing a 5 point maximum,even if they complete more passes?
I only mention this because the last research I saw said that over 80% of goals are scored from 5 passes or less.
Just a thought!

#51863 - 05/06/09 10:43 AM Re: List of Restrictions, Conditions, and Allowanc [Re: johnmc04]
paul12 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

John, was thinking the same thing. I had bad mental images of two gets breaking behind the other team and tapping it back and forth in front of the goal.

Kev, Kiery - I like that. Maybe that's what we'll do instead. Besides, I don't have any problems telling kids what they MUST do, lol.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura