Who's Online
1 registered (kcsoccerdad), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 4994
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Keep It Fun 2404
Willy 2390
Page 240 of 298 < 1 2 ... 238 239 240 241 242 ... 297 298 >
Topic Options
#68994 - 06/07/10 09:15 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
During training sessions at Ajax, I rarely heard the boys’ loud voices or laughter or much of anything besides the thump of the ball and the instruction of coaches. It could seem grim, more like the grinding atmosphere of training for an individual sport — tennis, golf, gymnastics — than what you would expect in a typically boisterous team setting. But one element of the academy’s success is that the boys are not overplayed, so the hours at De Toekomst are all business. Through age 12, they train only three times a week and play one game on the weekend. “For the young ones, we think that’s enough,” Riekerink said when we talked in his office one day. “They have a private life, a family life. We don’t want to take that from them. When they are not with us, they play on the streets. They play with their friends. Sometimes that’s more important. They have the ball at their feet without anyone telling them what to do.”

The young Ajax players attend three training sessions and one game per week. However, Riekerink (The Ajax coach) points out that, “When they are not with us, they play on the streets. They play with their friends.” The problem we have in America is the almost complete absence of street or park based pick up soccer. This absence means that for American kids to compete these environments must be provided, organized, scheduled and supported by club structures. These pick up environments must be designed so that children can gather for soccer fun. It would also help if such environments are geared towards soccer activities that maximize development in addition to enjoyment. A carefully designed, fun based, pick up style soccer environment can provide children with all the benefits of unsupervised play with the added advantage of tremendous technical and tactical growth. This is one of the main reasons why the Legends club is installing 9 “Wall Ball Courts” in its new indoor training center. These courts will provide children with a fantastic, fun shooting environment plus a really enjoyable and challenging 1 v 1 opportunity.

smile Andy

#68995 - 06/07/10 09:18 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
paulie_walnuts Offline
enthusiast

Loc: West Virginny
Originally Posted By: AndyBarney

I know some of the readers of this forum get a little fed up with my beating this purist drum, but I do so because the brave, creative leadership that a child can build through Legends style soccer can be life defining.

smile Andy

Heya AB! i donts gets tired of yer beatin da purist drum, i just tinks we all gets it now. i know i knows, leader for life! kinda likes Amway!

#68996 - 06/07/10 09:18 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

This morning I received the following communication out of the blue from an old foe:

Hey Andy;

Glad to see your still cranking it out for youth soccer over in KC. I live back in St. Louis now for about 6 years. I needed to take some time off from coaching once I ran my 2 kids through the system. I do miss the competitive games and rivalry our 2 teams developed through the years.

I see you’re an author now and was curious to get some information on the book. Can you please send me some ordering information. I am getting back into coaching over in the Metro East with Joe Reiniger. I thought I'd never say this---LOL!!---but the Legend way--is the right soccer approach for coaching kids at the early ages.

Andy---you have been a countless impact on so many player's. From one player to another--and from one coach to another-Excellent Job!

Take Care,

Craig

(Craig Stahl is an ex professional player (KC Comets) & youth coach (Kaiser Youth Soccer Club) who used to be vehemently opposed to the Legends coaching method.)

#68997 - 06/07/10 09:22 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
aclifton Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Kansas City
I don't think the term "vehemently opposed' does it justice...

#68998 - 06/07/10 09:32 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: paulie_walnuts]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good morning Paulie,

I couldn't agree more!!

Amway founders Jay Van Andel and Richard DeVos have each written a good book that describes their fight against traditional government and business institutions in order to provide individuals the ability to lead a principle centered life plus support their families through personal responsibility and hard work.

My mission through the Legends club is to teach every child to be the best leader they are capable of becoming. This can only happen if the environment is designed to provide tremendous fun while also maximizing manageable challenge and pressure. Pushing a child to the developmental limit, while still making the environment enjoyable, is a developmental necessity but difficult process. We have worked hard to refine this balance over the last 25 years. Our incredible team of great coaches combine their phenomenal kindness and deep character, with our tried and tested curriculum, to provide children with an optimizing developmental experience.

smile Andy

#68999 - 06/07/10 10:02 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Though I've seen some Amway type phrases in previous diatribes like,
"We're really excited about it",
now it's becoming more clear.
Legends are a pyramid scheme then?
Get someone to start their own franchise, then they pay you a cut. Then if that person gets someone else to start a franchise, then they get a cut, and so do you.
"And so it goes."

#69000 - 06/07/10 10:34 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
Keep It Fun Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas City, MO
[quote] ..... everyone has to think and act at warp speed.....

An interesting concept.
A game at Warp 1, having been defined by science fiction as the speed of light, could only be watched for a few seconds.
Applying the Doppler effect to this warp speed movement would make the ball, and players that were moving away from you appear motionless until they stopped, or changed direction. Lateral movement would probably be seen as just a bolt of light.
Then as soon as a player, or the ball happened to move directly toward you, just like a jet moving at the speed of sound causes a sonic boom, their would be an explosion of light that would blind you.

So the question is,
Has anyone actually been blinded by watching too much Legends soccer?

Perhaps employing Asimov's concept of hyperspace would work much better.
If a wall ball court could be built in hyperspace where time, and space no longer apply, then it would change the game immensely, plus change the entire fee schedule. A one hour session would allow a player to play essentially for eternity. By that, people could justifiably be charged an infinite amount of money.

It's been said that the true soccer field has no boundaries, the true soccer match has no time limit. This takes that concept to a whole new level.

Now if you could teach players how to move themselves with the ball into hyperspace, then reenter normal space inside the goal, then that would be true "wizardry".

#69006 - 06/07/10 11:38 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: AndyBarney]
Juggler Offline
enthusiast

The problem we have in America is the almost complete absence of street or park based pick up soccer. This absence means that for American kids to compete these environments must be provided, organized, scheduled and supported by club structures. These pick up environments must be designed so that children can gather for soccer fun.

How much fun is any actvity for a kid if you have to provide a structured environment for them to play? It seems to me if soccer was that much fun for most American kids you would see pick up games or just a kid with a soccer ball around the neighborhood.

#69007 - 06/07/10 11:51 AM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Keep It Fun]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Keep It Fun

There's huge difference between pyramid companies (otherwise known as multi-level marketing) and a simple franchise such as our Legends Soccer Club model. None of our franchisees get a "cut" of another franchise.

The reason why we chose to franchise as opposed to license or sponsor is the control franchising gives us over the implementation of our purist teaching philosophy. Nobody in our organization is prepared to help set up a franchisee only to find that she or he is perpetuating traditional coaching abuses in the pursuit of short-term wins. Our franchisees have to be kind, caring, loving purists who, as educators, firmly believe in and work at the job of maximizing brave, creative leadership for life in every player.

smile Andy

#69008 - 06/07/10 12:05 PM Re: Soccer as a Vehicle for Learning Life Lessons [Re: Juggler]
AndyBarney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Juggler,

Structure can actually improve spontaneous fun. For example setting a time for everyone to gather is "structure". The balancing act is in the mechanics of the structure. I believe that providing a little adult structure helps kids enjoy more opportunity for conflict resolution and problem solving plus enhances spontaneous group fun. Arranging a time for everyone of like ability to particpate and structuring an environment (e.g. our Wall Ball Courts) to maximize the developmental benefits of children's spontaneity, are two fine examples of this.

Modern society offers many competing sedentary electronic ways to have fun. The great outdoors is no longer as enticing as it was before video games, IPods, Ipads, Iphones, texting, facebook, etc.

A little structure to get the kids there and help them get maximum enjoyment is very necessary. However, the vast majority of their time spent in the "pick up" environment should be spontaneous.

Food for much thought and further discussion.

smile Andy

Page 240 of 298 < 1 2 ... 238 239 240 241 242 ... 297 298 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura