Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Page 2 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 ... 52 53 >
Topic Options
#78831 - 07/08/11 06:53 PM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: Keep It Fun]
PeleCosmos Offline
enthusiast

Liberal should make state again in 5a. In 6a dodge lost some talent but has strong rreturning midfield. Wichita nw has strong retuning lineup from state team last year

#78835 - 07/08/11 07:35 PM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: TTown34]
jjflash Offline
old hand

[quote=TTown34]Outside of KC, I know that Wichita NW (last year's 3rd place team in 6A) brings most of their varsity roster back including some talented forwards and an outstanding GK.

Wichita Northwest will be the team out of the South Central Region in 6A to beat. You're right TTown... they'll be strong up top with forwards and a mid. Their keeper is good, but the question will be defensively. Might be a little weak in the back.

Kapaun Mt. Carmel out of Wichita in 5A could do pretty well this season also.

#78915 - 07/11/11 07:42 AM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: meatball]
LiverpoolKC Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Anfield, Merseyside
Originally Posted By: meatball
Metro wide, will there be any MO teams that can compete with KS? Liberty? Rockhurst? Any of the LS teams? Hate to limit this to just KS.

Lee's Summit West, Rockhurst, and my sleeper team, Blue Springs South.

#78928 - 07/11/11 09:34 AM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: LiverpoolKC]
mude Offline
enthusiast

Every year seniors graduate and people are stunned that teams survive and do well without them. Last year, one of the leaving seniors told the remaining BVW boys that they would be in trouble without him and others. They survived and won state.

BVW does lose almost all of their starters, but they have some guys that will step up I suspect. Look for them to be better than expected. I can think of 4 players specifically that would likely state on any HS team in the area.

#78936 - 07/11/11 10:42 AM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: mude]
SoccerLuver Offline

With only 5 (I think) returning from last year, I think BVW will have to do more than step-up. They're gonna have to move several guys from JV into the starting line-up.
If I recall correctly, they have a keeper, two defenders, a mid and a forward with varsity experience. Of those, only the mid and forward saw significant time. So, they will need an additional foward or two, two to three defenders and three or four mids. That's why I'm saying it might be more rebuilding than reloading. But, I could be wrong as I am on many predictions.

#78960 - 07/11/11 06:44 PM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: SoccerLuver]
KCSoccerNut Offline
enthusiast

Loc: JC
Of those 5 returners 4 have started on State Championship Club teams so not a bad core, and the JV squad was full of quality players that had a fine record. They will have enough division one club players to fill most if not all the starting positions (last year they had 3 transfers that made Varsity that were new to the program so it could change). But it all depends on what the coach decides he wants. The BVW coach is somewhat unpredictable, last year keeping 17 seniors, many of whom played few minutes. In past years he has kept as few as 14 and not played any JV players up. When it comes to HS soccer we will have to wait and see, too many variables to predict.

#78988 - 07/12/11 02:24 PM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: KCSoccerNut]
SoccerLuver Offline

NUT
I looked on the BVW website for last year's roster and to the best of my ability cross-referenced the JV roster to club rosters and find that your are in fact correct as it looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 8+ players played Div I this past spring. I think everyone is familiar with the Sporting KC forward and mid on last year's varsity roster. I also heard that the other 3 who rostered on varsity last year will be playing on BVSC - Sporting team (I guess this is the old Newcastle team). So, if you put this all together - BVW may actually be a sleeper to make a run.

#78992 - 07/12/11 02:56 PM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: SoccerLuver]
TTown34 Offline
journeyman

The formula for winning a 6A state title recently has been:

* Large, experienced senior class
* A star player that can make special plays in the close games
* Great defense
* Motivated from close, disappointing loss in the playoffs the year before

BV West 2010: 17 seniors, Nick Besler, defense gave up some goals but their offense made up for it, loss to Free State in 2009 in a game they should have won

Washburn Rural 2009: 9 seniors that all started, Nick Golden, gave up only 7 goals in 21 games, lost to Olathe South 1-0 in close game with some controversy in 2008

Olathe South 2008: Solid senior class, Ethan Bauer, had 5 shutouts in 5 playoff games, lost to BV North in the title game the year before

No one has repeated in 6A since Aquinas in 2003-2004 and six different schools have won the last six years. There is lots of parity in Class 6A (within the top 8-10 teams) and usually the schools with the most experience win.

#78994 - 07/12/11 03:37 PM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: TTown34]
mude Offline
enthusiast

Good post TTown.

BVW has a core group of kids that had started on varsity since they were sophmores (and had started on JV the year before that). Definitely helped by the time they were senior. You gave the example of them losing in the playoffs the year before in a game where they should have not. That experience is probably what kept them from doing the same as senior.

That being said....BVW gave up goals last year? Surprised about that. Thought they were very stingy about giving up goals actually.

This coming fall, they have enough talent to do well. But, but they also might not. Simple as that. lol

#79000 - 07/12/11 05:20 PM Re: 2011 Kansas High School Boys Soccer Season [Re: mude]
TTown34 Offline
journeyman

I looked it up on the BVW website and they gave up 16 goals last year, but a bunch of them were in games they won easily (11-1, 8-1, etc.)

I saw them once last year and was so impressed by their offensive attack, that I didn't remember much about the defense. They did score 87 times last year!

This year should be fun because I don't see a team that is obviously the one to beat. If the trend continues and we have a 7th different team in 7 years win the title, I like SM Northwest. They have been knocked out the last two years by the eventual state champ, so maybe its their time.

Page 2 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 ... 52 53 >

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura