Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
coachkev 5087
johnmc04 2873
paul12 2810
Willy 2447
Keep It Fun 2404
Topic Options
#85101 - 03/16/12 11:13 PM Kansas ODP
fac40mil Offline

Loc: KS
DId I miss somethimg or did Kansas just not name any ODP teams?

#85102 - 03/16/12 11:32 PM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: fac40mil]
catchme Offline
stranger

http://www.kansasyouthsoccer.org/programs/regionalcamppaperwork.aspx

They hid the teams under the Regional Camp Information.

#85103 - 03/17/12 12:03 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: catchme]
coach12345 Offline

Congratulations to the players who were selected but there are a ton of the best players in these age groups that aren't on the lists. And we can't even get enough players to tryout to fill a roster? We have to combine with Nebraska to field a team at Regional Camp?

Is the State ODP Team relevant anymore? If you can't get the top players to participate then it just turns into a bit of a joke.

Is it like this in other states in our region? What about other regions?

#85104 - 03/17/12 09:53 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: coach12345]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

Coach12345

The challenge ODP is facing is losing top players not only to academy teams but club teams electing to play in national leagues which are both avenues for players to get exposure with college coaches without being part of ODP.

The remaining top players who have the talent to be considered some of the top players in state to participate in ODP many times do not have the financial resources or transportation due to georgraphy and gas prices to participate in ODP.

The key purpose of ODP to players/parents is to provide an opportunity for their son/daughter to gain exposure and key contacts to help gain college schlorship.

A better avenue for players in current environmnet might be to spend their money attending college camps they are interested in.
Player gets a chance to see if they like the campus and coach and whether they can compete at that level. Coach knows who you are and by attending their camp you have shown interest in school.

#85105 - 03/17/12 04:52 PM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: pelecosmos1]
fac40mil Offline

Loc: KS
I was told our age group didnt have enough parents wanting/able to do the regional camp in Dekalb thats fine- I understand its alot of $$ especially for my daughters age U-11. I also get that theyre 11, right!! BUT I think it is a fantastic experience for the younger age groups. I can see that for the older ages there are stronger alternatives. It is what it is. But instead of monkeying around trying to get our younger kids to guest play etc this is a wonderful program. The coaches are top shelf the training was top shelf, the experience top shelf..... but NO ONE KNOWS about this at the younger ages!!! The same coaches that want the status of being an ODP coach dont want to promote it to the club kids they coach or more likely the clubs themselves dont want that?? I personally will try to get all the strong young players involved and tell all the parents I know.
Its just a shame....... They kinda reap what they sow on this one and thats why it fails. We play on a big club. No parent has a clue this even exists. A shame.

#85107 - 03/18/12 09:07 AM Re: Kansas ODP [Re: fac40mil]
pelecosmos1 Offline
old hand

fac40mil

My son participated in the ODP program for 3 years for the 93 boys age group. It was a great experience since he had an opportunity to play with some of the best players in state from the top club teams in state: Rangers, Blue Valley, WSO, Magia, Fusion. He started program when he was going into his Freshman year in high school.

There are some very quality coaches in the ODP program and it was fun playing in the regional tournament.

I understand your frustration of more players not getting into program.It is good program if you can get the best players involved.

IMO it is not that the coaches and parents are not aware the ODP program is out there, but the combination of less overall talent in the program , cost - higher gas cost and additional time commitment in regular club events is what is leading to decline in quality players participating in ODP.

If you are looking for quality training and opportunity to have your daughter grow as a player suggestion is KU Residential soccer camp. There is KU soccer camp for the younger ages run by KU Women's coach. Attached is information.

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/070710aaa.html

Edited by pelecosmos1 (03/18/12 09:09 AM)

Moderator:  Mike Saif, Tom Mura